Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extremely disapointed

I received a letter that my 2 month old 2150RB cannot be towed or have the slide operated until a recall they have but into effect (because of their poor construction and engineering) is completed by a dealer or other RV repair place due to safety. Like most people that camp, I had reservations for the momorial day weekend which was supposed to be the maiden voyage. I called Grand Design, my dealer, and other dealer to get this completed and everyone is booked till early June. Even grand design is booked till end of July. So, I am left with some sort of "band aid" repair on a brand new camper I can't use. To top it off when I ask grand design who is paying for reservations I can't use its complete slience. There response is you have two weeks you can get it done. So they tell me how simple and easy this is , so I ask them to send me parts. The answer is no because of libility. I have been working on this thing for weeks fixing all the things that they should have done. All draws were set incorrectly, couch was not adjusted to compensate for floor difference from slide, hole between gutter and roof that was not properly seal, door that drags gutter because it's set improperly and gaps in sealant on roof corners. I like the materials they used and layout but there assembly is no better than anyone else. In fact worse because one of the most important things is the slide and they improperly engineered it so much they are searing off the screws and slides are braking away from the wall. What really makes me mad is 2 weeks holiday, they send out an notice with no plan in place to express the repair, for their mistake and are unwilling to pay cancellation fees

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to play devils advocate, if your tow vehicle had a recall put out on it and the dealer was backed up, do you thing GM, Ford, or Ram would pay cancellation fees...Probably not. Did you ask GD if you could use a mobile repair company to look at it?
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the same recall letter for my 2 month old Imagine 2500RL. Knew it was coming because I was aware of their Service Bulletin 17-001 which preceded this actual recall. I talked to GD last week asking them to please send me the parts and let me do the rather simple repair myself since my dealer is 2 hours away. No dice. It is an actual recall registered with the NHTSA (Government) so the owner is not allowed to do the repair - must be through the dealer. Called my dealer late last week and they ordered the repair kit. I hope it comes in quickly and they can get to it quickly. They have already done a few and say that it is only a 1 1/2 hour job, so I hope they will squeeze me in. Even though I wish I didn't have to make that 2 hour drive just for this, I'm not too concerned about problems getting it there. I've also had the slideout in and out many times while in my driveway with no additional issues.

Instead of being upset about it, I'm looking at it as if GD is stepping up and wanting to get it repaired for their customers. It's quite possible that lessor manufacturers might have delayed an official recall as long as they could have.
    2017 Imagine 2500RL
    2016 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 5.0 V8 3.55

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm so sorry that you have run into some quality debacles. I'm sending you a PM with information on how to escalate the issue to senior GD management in hopes that they can come up with a creative solution for you.

Hopefully, you'll be able to report good news soon. Oh - Welcome to the forum.

Jim

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout27 View Post

Instead of being upset about it, I'm looking at it as if GD is stepping up and wanting to get it repaired for their customers. It's quite possible that lessor manufacturers might have delayed an official recall as long as they could have.
    Agreed. GD initiated this recall and notified NHTSA of the issue on their own. No outside intervention was needed.

jim

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstilesoh View Post
    I received a letter that my 2 month old 2150RB cannot be towed or have the slide operated until a recall they have but into effect (because of their poor construction and engineering) is completed by a dealer or other RV repair place due to safety. Like most people that camp, I had reservations for the momorial day weekend which was supposed to be the maiden voyage. I called Grand Design, my dealer, and other dealer to get this completed and everyone is booked till early June. Even grand design is booked till end of July. So, I am left with some sort of "band aid" repair on a brand new camper I can't use. To top it off when I ask grand design who is paying for reservations I can't use its complete slience. There response is you have two weeks you can get it done. So they tell me how simple and easy this is , so I ask them to send me parts. The answer is no because of libility. I have been working on this thing for weeks fixing all the things that they should have done. All draws were set incorrectly, couch was not adjusted to compensate for floor difference from slide, hole between gutter and roof that was not properly seal, door that drags gutter because it's set improperly and gaps in sealant on roof corners. I like the materials they used and layout but there assembly is no better than anyone else. In fact worse because one of the most important things is the slide and they improperly engineered it so much they are searing off the screws and slides are braking away from the wall. What really makes me mad is 2 weeks holiday, they send out an notice with no plan in place to express the repair, for their mistake and are unwilling to pay cancellation fees
    Why can't you use the RV ? The recall says nothing about parking it until recall is completed. If your RV is not exhibiting slide out issues, go to your Memorial Weekend event and take it to the dealer when you get back.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know which trailers, I have a 2600 imagine bought new in January. I'm on the road around the US and Canada so I only get mail about every 3 months so i'll have it sent early. I am already regretting this purchase the awning has problems, shower wall came loose, burner igniter quit, we are doing our bucket list. Stopped at a dealer in Arizona and they wanted to keep it 1-2 weeks to fix things, already have reservations around the country throughout the year. I need to call GD and see if I can leave it at factory next 2 months while overseas and get things fixed. Local Dealer did not want to take responsibility for trailer on lot after repair is done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awful! My camper is just 3 weeks old and I just got the letter today. 1 1/2 hour away from my dealer. No good!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for multi posts very poor connection here.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If ''tis was a car I would get a loaner during the repair and also it would take a month just to get service. I have to question the repair lasting the length of the camper since it had to be designed as a field modifications

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast