User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electrical outlets in GD TT - How to replace?

We have a 2016 GD TT and it has been great; really no issues to speak of.

However, we did crack an outlet in the kitchen via plugging in and unplugging the coffee maker.

I ordered the replacement outlet from a GD supplier and tried to replace it thinking it would be the same as a household outlet.

However, the wirecon receptacle does not have bare wire screw-ins or clamps. They have this channel where the black should slide into on one side, the ground in the middle and the white on the other side.

Problem is I cannot get them to go in there without tearing up the wires so I have to be missing something. Has anyone done this before?

I cannot post attachments for some reason but I do have two pictures.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See this thread on how to put one of these outlet boxes together . . . even if you don't have the production tool. http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...le+replacement

The reason that you can't post pictures is because you are a "registered guest" on this forum. Members pay $12 per year for full privledges. This means that we don't have to endure ads and pop-ups. If being a site sponsor is something you are interested in, go to "settings" (top right) and then "paid subscriptions" (down the left side).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    See this thread on how to put one of these outlet boxes together . . . even if you don't have the production tool. http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...le+replacement

The reason that you can't post pictures is because you are a "registered guest" on this forum. Members pay $12 per year for full privledges. This means that we don't have to endure ads and pop-ups. If being a site sponsor is something you are interested in, go to "settings" (top right) and then "paid subscriptions" (down the left side).

Rob
    Thanks a bunch Rob. I will check out the quote and pay for full access.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Well this suck......

Quote Originally Posted by RVThereYet? View Post
    We have a 2016 GD TT and it has been great; really no issues to speak of.

However, we did crack an outlet in the kitchen via plugging in and unplugging the coffee maker.

I ordered the replacement outlet from a GD supplier and tried to replace it thinking it would be the same as a household outlet.

However, the wirecon receptacle does not have bare wire screw-ins or clamps. They have this channel where the black should slide into on one side, the ground in the middle and the white on the other side.

Problem is I cannot get them to go in there without tearing up the wires so I have to be missing something. Has anyone done this before?

I cannot post attachments for some reason but I do have two pictures.

According to Hubbell the tool is the best way to install the wires into the outlet safely. The tool is not easily found or purchased, even in a major metropolitan area like Houston. I have several electrical companies looking for it now.
    Hubbell tech services said it is very difficult to install the wires without the tool but did say that it COULD be done with a good set of needle-nose, some boards and a C-Clamp. Seems pretty silly and I need to go down the road of replacing with a real outlet per electrical standards since this is in the kitchen with heavy use.

However, that does not solve my immediate concern. I have bare wires in the kitchen and an unusable outlet. My guess is that I will either have to take my chances and manhandle this thing or cap off the bare wires and put the plate on for cosmetic appeal right now.

What on earth would possess someone to build like this where there are no options? I am guessing the tool is not owned by any of the local RV shops either.

If I end up paying 200.00 for the tool, I will be glad to rent it out to others in the same boat for a modest fee.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it is worth, I replaced the outlet using the C-Clamp and boards (2 pieces of shim and a rag ) and it seems to have worked well. It did it slowly and verified the work several times to make sure everything was seated.
    In the end it came out looking just like it was when it broke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called Grand Design parts and told them I had several cracked and they sent me a whole box full of outlets. I was under warranty at the time, but they have plenty to sell, I'm sure.
    Scott and Toni
    2018 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2016 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electrical Outlet in GDRVs

Wife showed me the kitchen AC outlet near the stove just broke when she unplugged something. This is the one in the Imagine between the stove and the pantry. Yup looked up threads on the forum to see what others have done.

Did a search for a Wirecon Hubbel outlet, WDRDU15BKSPFW got the part number from the GD parts page, very few came up. Local GDRV dealer carries a different kind, Diamond Group 125V 15 amp dual receptacle WDR15BK, kinda looks the same. Not in their stock but can order, they want $10 for the plug plus $21 shipping -no thank you.

Google search turned up a Keystone dealer site that has the original part number outlet - $6.00, but I have to tell them what Keystone product I have to order the part, nuts! So I just made up a model but their order page doesn't work - just keeps telling me to enter what model Keystone RV I have.
    I was going to look at local home improvement stores but they don't carry this type of outlet. Thought about using a standard type drywall outlet. Don't know if that will work or not where this outlet is.

Well maybe I'll send a message to GDRV, see if they will send me a few through USPS with reasonable shipping cost. Well at least we dont have any plans to take the RV out for awhile.

Hey there is a Utube video showing how to replace these boxes using the back off an old outlet and two blocks of wood and C-clamps to pinch the wires into the new outlet. Yeah - saw the tool you are supposed to use to replace these things.
    I don't like these outlets, seems kind of hokey to me but I understand why they use these types of outlets in the RV industry. You just can't run down to the local hardware store to get one.

Well Crap!

Don't know how this got in general discussion, can you move to non-specific unit/electrical?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AC Plug.jpg   AC Plug1.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 09-12-2018 at 11:10 AM. Reason: posting
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I replace mine I use a regular work box from Lowe's and a regular receptacle. Better than this RV stuff and a lot less expensive.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokensalem View Post
    When I replace mine I use a regular work box from Lowe's and a regular receptacle. Better than this RV stuff and a lot less expensive.
    I done this when adding new outlets. I think I've seen the RV style outlets are our local Ace Hardware store in the mobile home /RV section. I'm sure Amazon has them too.

https://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-S...dp/B008OJ6XA0/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted this in the non-specific model area. This is what I did when the electrical box on my outdoor kitchen came apart.

My 2017 Reflection 311BHS has the self contained electrical receptacle. The one in the outside kitchen cracked and needed to be replaced. The link below is the one I ordered from Amazon to replace (you can select the color). That was the easy part. The company recommends buying the installation tool for a few dollars more ($$$$$) which I did not wish to do. Here how to install without having to buy the expensive tool.

Get a small block of wood (1/2 inch works) and cut it the same size as the outlet,
    Get a 3" C-clamp,
    Put the receptacle on the block of wood with the connectors facing up,
    If the wires are badly frayed, then trim them about a half inch to make it easier to get them into the box,
    Lightly press the electrical wires in the proper place, white to left, black to right and copper in the middle. I used a flat head screw driver then switched to an electrical wire stripper tool which seemed to work better,
    Carefully place the white connector on the receptacle, make sure that the connector's open top has the wires passed through (hard to describe here, but when you have the connector box, you'll see that one end is open),
    Use your hand to press on the connector so that the connector will make contact with the wires and hold them in place,
    Place the C-clamp on the white connector and slowly tighten the C-clamp until BOTH sides click, Give it an extra little turn to set the wires in the receptacle. This is where it helps to have an extra set of hands
    Remove the C-clamp and mount the receptacle in the wall.

I think that GD has moved away from using these, probably a good thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Designer-Coll...ned+receptacle
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast