Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is the best place to mountb a hard wired surge guard in 29 RS

Hello everyone. Just picked up our new 2017 29 RS. Beside being in the process of getting to know this new RV I ordered a hard wired surge guard and was wondering where would be the best area for installation. Any ideas ? Thank you.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put one in my 29 RS in the basement behind the partition. It was a bit tight and required some effort fitting the wires into it. 50 Amp wires are quite stiff. There was plenty of wiring available, but you need to be selective of where you cut so you can place your surge protector on the flooring. My choice of location left me with an unsecured box. Like I said it is a bit tight in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put mine behind the breaker panel. You have to remove the back wall of the pass through to gain access for routing the wiring as well as remove the breaker panel. The unit is secured to the floor just behind the breaker panel. As danhiltman mentioned the wire is stiff and working with it is the hardest part of the project.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 303RLS has the same countertop and drawer layout as your 29RS. I also put the EMS behind the breaker panel on the floor under the bottom drawer. Temporarily removing the drawer made installation somewhat easier, plenty of room for the Progressive HW-50.
    Marvin & Marion
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 Ram 2500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I will try behind the breaker panel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep we put ours behind the breaker panel on the floor also - have fun

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New to the GD family, new 268BH on order. Amazing amount of info! My question on the hardwired surge protector is would in not be better with the portable to plug in first and check for faults prior to hooking up? That way if faults are found you can move to another location or attempt to notify the operator...��
    2019 F350 CCLB 6.7
    2020 Reflection 268BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2019SD View Post
    New to the GD family, new 268BH on order. Amazing amount of info! My question on the hardwired surge protector is would in not be better with the portable to plug in first and check for faults prior to hooking up? That way if faults are found you can move to another location or attempt to notify the operator...��
    It comes down to a matter of preference. I like mine hardwired and my electrical connection is first. Some will put the remote display in a convenient place to read it before doing anything else. I'm usually already leveled before I check it since my readout is in the closet immediately inside of the outside door.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2019SD View Post
    Sure, could do that. Expensive to own both but you could. The problems I have found in parks I believe are park wide. For example, in older parks their underground wiring was put in without anticipation of rigs having double AC unit and fireplaces both drawing lots of juice on hot/cold days and overloading the system. I have had to make the decision to use the bypass to gain comfort...an uneasy decision.

The other problem, during peak season many parks are packed and there are not other spaced to move to. I do remember one situation (first rig and before EMS-50 control) where a park in the desert had bad grounding and we did not find out before we smelled wiring staring to burn. Our EMS would have showed this problem, shut down and we probably would have to dry camp...

My first experience notifying the operators was that the front desk knew of no problems anywhere in the park LOL. Come to find out with the low voltage situation the owner finally provided a post booster. Plugs into the electrical hook up post and boosts your site a tiny bit...

In retrospect, I would probably go with a portable if I had it all over to do - If we ever get rid of the rig, I will probably not remove our hardwired EMS-50... big $ loss.
    Bradley & Glenna
    2016 29rs Reflection
    2016 Ford F250 - B&W Patriot 18k Slider