Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wet Bolts and Shackles Reflection 297 and other issues

We are picking up a 297RSTS next Wednesday. What are wet bolts vs I guess regular bolts. What would be on a 2017 297? What kind of bushings come on it from the factory. Has GD made any kind of change related to these parts or replacing them under warranty? It's used and I have one month left of the original warranty. Any other things I need to get addressed that GD would take care of?
    2017 Reflection 297RSTS
    2017 F250 King Ranch, FX4, 6.7L w/ HD tow

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ALScott - "Wet Bolts" are suspension bolts that have a grease fitting on the end and an internal passage to bring grease from this fitting into the bushing (see picture). These grease fittings are usually on the inboard side of the springs, but I do not know whether your vintage of Reflection TT had these or not. Most of the spring bushings, until very recently, were nylon. These will last reasonably well if a greased wet bolt is used. With a dry bolt, these bushings will wear very quickly (less than 2000 miles).

I have not heard of GDRV replacing suspension bolts or bushings under warranty. These are usually considered to be maintenance items. Dry bolts and nylon bushings are the cheapest and least durable parts out there. If you want to continue with dry bolts, there are bushings called "Never Fail" that are supposed to survive much better. The best solution is to change to wet bolts and bronze bushings. MORryde makes kits that include much heavier shackle plates and all the bolts and bushings you need to do a complete conversion to parts that will last indefinitely if properly maintained.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wet Bolt.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Our 297RSTS was delivered in October. The suspension had standard bolts. It also had Nylon bushings in the equalizer and bronze bushings in the spring ends. The shackles were the thin Lippert OEM variety. The nylon bushings were worn through just from the 1800 miles it took to deliver it from the factory in Arizona. I normally wouldn't disassemble the suspension on a brand new unit, but when I saw there were no wet bolts, I decided to upgrade.

I installed new MORryde CRE3000 equalizers with bronze bushings installed, new MORryde shackles and wet bolts that came in a kit. I did not change the bronze bushings in the springs because they were still in very good shape.

I'm attaching a link to my post on this subject. If you'd like to upgrade to a much more robust suspension, let me know and I'll provide you with the part numbers from Amazon.

http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...hlight=morryde

Jim