Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Suspension Failure on 2017 Solitude - Are You Inspecting Yours?

Nick Nudell is one of my Facebook friends and a stand up guy. He is living full time in his 2017 377MBS-R Solitude and is currently in Alaska. There is no other way to put this other than his suspension has failed. So far, his springs have flattened out which resulted in two broken springs. One of his Correct Track bolts fell out, and now his Equa-Flex equalizer has a cracked weld. He's very frustrated with the reliability of his LCI suspension. I can't say I blame him. With the suspension problems I've experienced with both my Reflection fifth wheel and travel trailer. I just wanted to share this with all of you and pray that each and every one of you is inspecting your suspension and making sure you're safe. It's my belief that a failed suspension is more unsafe than the greasy brake issue. Nick has posted quite a few pictures on the FB Grand Design page. I told him I'd post a few key ones here. Check out some of his pictures.

Broken Spring Number One

Broken Spring Number Two

Worn out Bushing

Cracked Weld on Equa-Flex Equalizer

Now a lot of you might thing Nick might be overloaded. In fact, he reports that he has individual wheel position weights and is well under the weight limits for each wheel position. The only difference between Nick and most of us is the miles he puts on.

If there is a message to convey from this thread, it's to inspect and upgrade your suspension to the best of your ability. If you don't know how to disassemble the suspension and inspect it, you should learn, or plan on having it frequently inspected by a dealership that you trust. In fact, I believe that the Lippert recommended inspection interval is too loose, and you should be doing a visual inspection of your suspension each and every time you hook up, and a tear down inspection should be done every 3,000 miles.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've inspected and maintained mine. I still had a spring break last summer and Equa fkex unit crack. I upgraded to Morryde IS because I hate sitting in a parking lot waiting for help
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll let him know about the MORryde IS LC. He is very frustrated. I would say that this is the next iteration of LCI problems after the greasy brakes, but I'm afraid most owners won't even take the time to look.

Jim

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I'll let him know about the MORryde IS LC. He is very frustrated. I would say that this is the next iteration of LCI problems after the greasy brakes, but I'm afraid most owners won't even take the time to look.

Jim

Just what I was thinking.
    Disc Brakes and IS is probably the goal to get to.

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick Nudell also reported a few weeks back that his Andersen Ultimate hitch had failed as well. Hitch was bent and the welds were cracked. He had just over 20,000 towed miles on the hitch when he noted the failed hitch. He's towing one of the larger Solitudes and I have come to be suspect of this hitch when used with the heavier fifth wheels.

I think his style of RV'ing is on the extreme edge of usage. Between the very high miles he's racking up and the roads he is towing on (Alaska), he has tested the limits of both the hitch and the suspension. I can't imagine there are but very few others that are subjecting their rigs to this combination of high mileage and the type of roadways found in Alaska. When you add in the "designed and built just barley good enough" philosophy of LCI, the results experienced by Nick should not be all that surprising.

But as recommended above, all of us with LCI suspensions, need to carefully check the suspension components on a regular basis and my suggestion is to change out the bushings and shackles for the heavy duty versions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think his style of RV'ing is on the extreme edge of usage. Between the very high miles he's racking up and the roads he is towing on (Alaska), he has tested the limits of both the hitch and the suspension. I can't imagine there are but very few others that are subjecting their rigs to this combination of high mileage and the type of roadways found in Alaska. When you add in the "designed and built just barley good enough" philosophy of LCI, the results experienced by Nick should not be all that surprising.

But as recommended above, all of us with LCI suspensions, need to carefully check the suspension components on a regular basis and my suggestion is to change out the bushings and shackles for the heavy duty versions.[/QUOTE]
    I agree. For what we pay we could buy a nice mobile home if we wanted to sit in one spot. It would be nice if a suspension upgrade were offered
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCBoyer View Post
    I agree. For what we pay we could buy a nice mobile home if we wanted to sit in one spot. It would be nice if a suspension upgrade were offered
    You probably saw it, too, LC, but when we were at MOR/ryde last year, there were about three DRVs lined up at the plan for suspension alignment. They install the MOR/ryde IS at DRV (don't know if it's an option or standard) and take them to MOR/ryde for final tweaking. I would have gladly paid for the upgrade from the factory rather than go through the bent spindle/axle situation with the tire damage, etc., with the LCI suspension system (my brakes were also "greased").

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone considered adding Joyrider shocks to their Solitudes to help dampen some of the hits to the springs? I've seen it done on a Chapparel 5th wheel for this reason, so I am considering after having my first broken spring experience.