Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Upgrades or Changes

Debby,

When I was shopping, I couldn't get the dealer down the road from you to even return my phone calls. Needless to say, we bought from the dealer another 20 miles down the road. I have heard good things about them, but our only experience so far was the purchase.

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A heat pump is only good to about 32 degrees anyway. I have not had any problems with pipes freezing, if it gets below freezing would have to use the regular heat anyway. Usually in this area we do not have a lot of freezing temperatures except this year. I am just in the decision making stage right now. I do know some people that have the heat pump and really like it. A heat pump is more for days when its in the 40's and such. In colder temps I fill the fresh tank and use that, use the fireplace and turn the furnace on to about 55 just to keep the pipes heated. I do not have heat tapes on my Solitude but they only protect the tanks not the pipes and water lines. I have heard about heat strips, but have talked to a few other RV owners who did not like them very well. Right now just weighing all the odds and seeing what my best option is.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got some calls back about upgrading to the heat pump in the Solitude. They are estimating between $1100 and $1200 for the unit and to have it installed. This is a lot more expensive than if we would have been offered this as an option from the dealer. I looked up the unit we need online and it is about $800 itself then you have to pay shipping on it. This is a lot of money but I think it would be a very useful and money saving upgrade. WEll just thought I would share what I found out with you. Got more than one estimate, they are all about the same. I am still in the process of deciding but if I do get it, I will let you know how it works. This estimate would be replacing it with Dometic 459186, the model the factory recommends for this unit.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As soon as we receive our Reflection, we'll be adding solar charging, and amateur radio connections.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote author=TucsonJim link=topic=253.msg3305#msg3305 date=1393943153]
    As soon as we receive our Reflection, we'll be adding solar charging, and amateur radio connections.
    [/quote]

Along with the solar charging, are you switching to 2 or 4 - 6V batteries? I assume you camp with hook-ups?

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

[quote author=Happy Camper link=topic=253.msg3306#msg3306 date=1393944174]
    [quote author=TucsonJim link=topic=253.msg3305#msg3305 date=1393943153]
    [/quote]

Along with the solar charging, are you switching to 2 or 4 - 6V batteries? I assume you camp with hook-ups?

Dave
    [/quote]

Dave - The dealer is planning on installing two 6V batteries in the rig. Sometimes we use hookups, but quite often, we "dry" camp. It's nice to have solar charging so I don't have to run the generator so long to have fresh batteries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12