Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Getting ready to head out on our summer adventure. Planning on 63 days of travel and about 6,400 miles. I have plotted, planned, and made reservations. Our 5'ver is new, the truck is new. Just trying to figure out if the RV GPS is a good investment as well as a tire pressure monitoring system. I have purchased an air compressor, a King Flusher, surge protector, water pressure regulator, and all of the necessities, but am wondering about the other items and if there is anything I may have missed. Excited and nervous. Have used our new home twice now so I know there will be a learning curve along the way. Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Highly recommend the The TPMS(mine saved my ********** the first trip I installed it). GPS I do without all the time, use a trucker's atlas.

Most important thing to remember is to have fun, even if things don't go well at times, you will eventually look back and laugh about it.

Big Mike
    Mike and Mary Beth, Hopatcong, NJ
    2015 Momentum 385th with MorRyde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes
    2014 Dodge Dually
    2014 Harley Ultra Limited (Big Mike's)
    2015 Indian Chieftain (Mary Beth's)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto the TPMS. Don't try to kill yourself driving 500 miles a day. Slow down, see the sights, enjoy good food. We keep a journal in our RV and make notes on everything we see, do, places we stay. Years later it is fun to look back at your notes.
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sooner or later, you'll find you need extra sewer hose, water hose, and electrical cord. Also, get a Wye and a pressure regulator for your water line. Many RVers use an inline water filter.

Assuming you have a 50 amp power cord, be sure you have a 30 amp male to 50 amp female adapter, for those campgrounds that only have 30 amp outlets.

Have fun!

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow the full timers 2-2-2 rule. Travel about 200 miles, stop by 2pm, spend 2 days, then repeat.

TPMS for sure. When you make a pit stop check tires and hubs for excessive heat.

I buy the Good Sam Platinum Road side service. I have had my 5th wheel towed twice.

GPS are great helpers in new territory, but they all lie from time to time so have a general idea of where you are going and how you are going to get there. Trust but verify.

Carry a little water in the fresh water tank for flushing and hand washing or in case the RV park you are stopping at has an unexpected water supply issue.

Dallas

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your advice so far! I have AAA with the RV service added and will order the TPMS. I have tried to look for the best TPMS, is Tireminder the way to go and if so should I get the AIA or TM66 or the TM77? DO I get sensors for only for 5'ver or for the truck as well? Sorry to ask so many questions!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonloanranger View Post
    Sorry to ask so many questions!
    Don't be, inquiring minds want to know and knowing minds want to share.

I went with Pressure Pro TPMS, the system is now 7 years old and there have been some new competitors and advances in the tech. I started out with sensors on all my wheels. But I had troubles with the ones on the dually truck, then the ones on the steering. Over time I finally only keep the sensors on the 5th wheel. You can feel changes in your truck, you mostly can't feel changes in the 5th wheel.

Dallas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a infrared gun to check the trailer hubs each time we stop. I just shoot between the lug bolts on the wheel. What I'm looking for is a temp that's 10-15% higher on one wheel. You will see differences side to side because of the sun or road conditions (crowning) but I hope to catch a bearing issue be for I have to look for my wheel. If you find one too low you might look for grease on the brakes.

We use the Rand McNally RV GPS and have a older TMPS system. The newer trucks should warn of tire pressure issues on the truck.

Don't be afraid to ask how something works when out on the road, we're here to help. But if you notice many of us don't respond to the Grand Design basher's, so please be courteous.

Hope that helps.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the TST tpms with a boosterband like it. There's a bunch out there now and you can search the threads on here to get more than you bargained for.

You can plan stops, but I highly recommend that you be flexible. There will likely be a stop you need more time to see, something you stumbled upon. Talk with fellow campers. Ones coming from the direction you are heading will be able to provide great advise about sights to see, and ones that you may not want to waste your time on. We found some great free sites this way. Enjoy!
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed