User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot Water Tank On/Off When Water Disconnected

This is our first week in an RV (367BHS). Slowly figuring everything out. Question about the water heater - when I empty the black water tank, I disconnect the fresh water hose so I can put a garden hose on the city water connection to flush out the black tank. When I disconnect the fresh water hose and there is no longer any water pressure in the plumbing, it sounds like the water heater is draining, maybe back into the pipes. Is that the case? If so, I am wondering whether I should turn the electric switch off for the water heater so as not to damage it while empty.

Thanks, Ben

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My electric water heater is the last thing I turn on when unpacking, and the first thing I turn off when packing up. No reason to risk burning out the heating element in the event water level becomes low, and I see no reason to burn out the element prematurely by continued use. Just my .02

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless I'm on the water tank when traveling I turn off the heater. I would rather have warm water then burn out a tank. It also doesn't take that long for it to heat up. The water usually stays hot long enough to arrive at my destination, except in the colder months.
    Arnold Warnes
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
    2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water heater should not be draining that usually stays full . Not familiar with your 367 what kind of water system do you have ?? Do you have a black water tank sanitizer/ jet cleaner ?? I put a Y connector on the line that goes to city water and the other line goes to the sanitizer inlet using 3ft hose both have shut off's so I turn off water to camper and open up valve to sanitizer to clean the inside of the black water tank. The short hose also is used for letting the air out of the water line before opening up the valve to the camper so it serves a dual purpose. Make sure you use pressure regulators on both or pork or one at the source of your water hose use your own a lot of campground ones don't work anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about writing error

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've only used propane for the water heater about twice in two years when we didn't have strong electric for the night (we full-time). It stays on electric the rest of the time. The electric switch also stays on all the time. The water heater doesn't drain when you disconnect the city water source. As long as you don't drain the water heater, there's no problem. Since we don't use propane for heating water, I also don't have to remember to turn the gas for the heater on and off when we travel. This approach has worked very well for us. If you dry camp a lot and use propane for heating water, other approaches may work better for you.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015