User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim,

Have a look at this LCI video to get an idea of how much these spring hangers are flexing in normal use. And this appears to be on a relatively smooth road ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp5iRVPwYZg Since we don't hear much about hangers breaking, they must be flexing well within their elastic limits.

I agree with Marvin that this looks like the excessive tolerance between the width of the spring and the width of the hanger. There is another thread on here that discusses this at length. See attached picture of my hanger & spring.

I have heard of the MORryde cross brace, but have not looked at it in detail. I would initially be concerned that this is using one hanger to brace another hanger. I want to look into the geometry of this idea a little further.

My hanger are all out of square to some degree, but not as significant as in your picture. When I remove my suspension (yet again . . . to change to better bushings, heavier shackles and different springs on one side) I am planning to use shim washers on each side of the spring to eliminate the excessive space that is currently there.

Rob
    And look how tight that spring is in there. The washer or some sort of spacer may be the way to go.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did hear back from Emily Stahley from Lippert. She advised that the hanger needs to be straightened to prevent tire wear, but that an alignment will not be needed. She wanted to know if I "turned too tightly" which may have caused the problem". Even though I don't believe I did, it seems like an odd question.

Jim

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to 2:57 on that video and look at the frame flex just ahead of the front axle!
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Gene - You might want to check with MORryde. P/N U021-015 is supposed to allow mounting to the Correct Track system. I see it referenced in the installation instructions, but I don't see it on their product list. It might be a special order.

Jim
    Yep, not on their website any longer, I saw it referenced in instructions too but not able to find for sale.

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the video Curtis referenced, to me it looks like a Correct Track kit added to a unit not having it from the factory. With the additional length of the downward brackets on the frame, there is a LOT of sideways deflection on roads that are not too bad. To me, it is scary and looks like there will be metal fatigue and breakage in the near future. I am definitely not an engineer, but I spent the better part of half a century around suspensions and frames. And when they tout the extended spring travel, it would increase the possibility of tire contact with the inner fender.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Thanks Rob. I Can't believe the flexing that is going on with those hangers. You'd think after thousands of miles, that would cause metal fatigue and failure of a hanger. I believe you're spot on with putting in washers to shim the gap. When I put in the wet bolts, I torqued them to 40 ft-lb and you can see it bent the hanger until it hit the spring.

Jim
    Jim,

If your wet bolts have a shoulder at the end of the threaded section (and the bolts are the right length) torquing the nut against this shoulder should have prevented drawing the hanger in to the spring. I wonder if the bolts were correct for the spring width but too short for the hanger width?

Shims will only work if the bolt head to shoulder distance is exactly the same as hanger width plus two Correct Track plates.

The "did you turn too tightly" question from LCI makes no sense. If this was caused by an external impact/force, both sides of the hanger would be bent in the same direction.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You're spot on about the shoulder bolts Rob. No way could I put in washers and have the nuts properly seat against the shoulder. My belief is that the hangar is just too wide. And when it's torqued it bends the outer flange. The more I look at this, the inner flange is perpendicular to the frame. I'm going to have to crawl back under and do some more measurement to see if I really need to modify or repair anything before just jumping into it.

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

I would start with the width of the hanger near the top, plus the two Correct Track plates . . . and compare this to the length of the bolt from head to shoulder. Ideally, the bolt should be a few thousands longer than the hanger+plates, but I expect that it will measure less . . . which is why it is pulling the hanger in.

The next step will be to figure out what to machine or shim to solve this.

Rob

Edit: Just realized that you don't have Correct Track plates . . . so it is a comparison of hanger width to bolt length only.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread had made me think about frame stress, it's a few years old and SOB with Correct Track II added.

https://heartlandowners.org/archive/...p/t-48295.html
    Photos: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...G8&usp=sharing
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    This thread had made me think about frame stress, it's a few years old and SOB with Correct Track II added.

https://heartlandowners.org/archive/...p/t-48295.html
    Photos: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...G8&usp=sharing
    Gene - That is a rather disconcerting series of pictures. Makes you wonder what towing events might have preceded this . . . but it still shouldn't have happened.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast