User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Spring Hanger Concern? Any Suspension Experts That Can Weigh In?

While inspecting my frame and suspension before taking a trip next week, I noticed that the spring hangers are not perpendicular to the frame in all cases. I'm posting a picture of the worst case so you can see what I'm trying to convey. The hanger has a kant to the left. You can see one of the spring leafs has shifted to compensate for the angle. I don't believe this would affect alignment because it shouldn't allow the axle to shift forward or rearward. Do any of you have the same issue on your suspension? Is this something I should try to rectify? I sure don't want to disassemble the suspension again to correct this, but I will if needed. And if I do re-center the hanger, should I weld a reinforcement brace to keep it from happening again?

Thanks,

Jim

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'd have a spring shop look at that as I'd be suspicious the bent hanger is putting to much stress on the spring itself. As we all know, these OE springs aren't too great to begin with.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorta looks like the hanger bracket is a little too wide for the spring and the bolt has pulled it closed.
    Marvin & Marion
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 Ram 2500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One of the members on the FB page pointed me to a pretty elegant solution. MORryde makes braces you can mount between the hangers to beef up this weak area. They are about $100 each. It might be a wise investment. It seems MORryde stays in business developing solutions to Lippert weaknesses.

Jim

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
    Sorta looks like the hanger bracket is a little too wide for the spring and the bolt has pulled it closed.
    I thought the same thing as well.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
    Too wide? On a precision Lippert suspension? Surely you jest. Seriously, I see exactly what you mean. The left side is pretty straight, and the right side is pulled in.

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

Have a look at this LCI video to get an idea of how much these spring hangers are flexing in normal use. And this appears to be on a relatively smooth road ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp5iRVPwYZg Since we don't hear much about hangers breaking, they must be flexing well within their elastic limits.

I agree with Marvin that this looks like the excessive tolerance between the width of the spring and the width of the hanger. There is another thread on here that discusses this at length. See attached picture of my hanger & spring.

I have heard of the MORryde cross brace, but have not looked at it in detail. I would initially be concerned that this is using one hanger to brace another hanger. I want to look into the geometry of this idea a little further.

My hanger are all out of square to some degree, but not as significant as in your picture. When I remove my suspension (yet again . . . to change to better bushings, heavier shackles and different springs on one side) I am planning to use shim washers on each side of the spring to eliminate the excessive space that is currently there.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1647.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob. I Can't believe the flexing that is going on with those hangers. You'd think after thousands of miles, that would cause metal fatigue and failure of a hanger. I believe you're spot on with putting in washers to shim the gap. When I put in the wet bolts, I torqued them to 40 ft-lb and you can see it bent the hanger until it hit the spring.

Jim

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    One of the members on the FB page pointed me to a pretty elegant solution. MORryde makes braces you can mount between the hangers to beef up this weak area. They are about $100 each. It might be a wise investment. It seems MORryde stays in business developing solutions to Lippert weaknesses.

Jim
    I went with one MORryde x-factor for the center hanger to add some support. Can't add to the end hangers with correct track.

Gene

p.s. Not an expert for sure.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    I went with one MORryde x-factor for the center hanger to add some support. Can't add to the end hangers with correct track.

Gene

p.s. Not an expert for sure.
    Gene - You might want to check with MORryde. P/N U021-015 is supposed to allow mounting to the Correct Track system. I see it referenced in the installation instructions, but I don't see it on their product list. It might be a special order.

Jim

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast