User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bad grease seals and brakes on my 2017 Solitude 310GK, which grease do I use?

Hi everyone,

First, let me say thank you to the folks on this forum who encouraged me to get my brakes checked before heading out on our big road trip to Canada.

My sad story: Our Solitude's at the dealer for solar install. While there, asked the dealer to check the brakes for the dreaded grease problem. During our PDI, the dealer said they checked for the grease problem and everything was fine. I don't believe they ever checked. We asked them to pull the drums (they quoted $$) but then agreed after I called Lippert and got the inspection approval. The dealer's service manager said he'd never heard of this greasy brake problem. Seriously? They're the largest RV dealer in So. Cal. Anyway, they finally pulled the drums after having the RV 2 weeks and reported that 3 out of 4 brake assemblies and seals, etc. are bad, and the 4th one doesn't look that great either. They say they can't start repair until they receive the brake plate assemblies from GD. They ordered them this past Tuesday and said they don't know when they'll receive them because GD will only ship surface freight.

I call GD and talk with David. He asks why doesn't the dealer pull them from their inventory or get them from one of their other locations, they should have them. I explain the dealer said they don't have them. Who knows? Anyway, I ask him to ship next day. David says they won't do that, it's too expensive but he'll try to get the parts out 3rd day and he'll call me back. I get a message later in the day from another guy and says they shipped and gives me a tracking number; doesn't say what method. I check the tracking #, they shipped surface...argh! So, the dealer won't receive them until end of next week. We were supposed to leave on our trip Tuesday, there goes that plan!
    Oh, I also talked to the GD rep in Oregon. He said talk to customer service at GD. He couldn't talk because he's going camping. Glad someone's going camping.

Anyway, I want to have the dealer use better seals and grease to have an improved chance of not having this problem again. Anyone have any good recommendations?

Thanks so much and please forgive my rattling on, just frustrated. It's a real shame that manufacturers don't assure their customers receive a quality product, especially when it's a known safety issue.

Mary
    Mary

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seals & Bearings = Timken

Grease? Not sure what Timken recommends, but I'd go with that.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timken has their own grease: GR224, about $5 for a 15 oz tub. It's probably the same as other brand name grease, hi temp, red bearing grease.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chances are the dealer will be lubing the new bearings manually with a thick old style axle grease and the axle seals will be of higher quality.

Lippert is using a thin injectable axle grease as a time (and money) savings when the hubs are put on the axles. It's their grease and injecting too much of it that causes intrusion past their cheap Chinese seals into the brakes.

What's so bad is that Lippert didn't have to assemble their hubs this way.

I've yet to jack up and disassemble my brake hubs to do the inspection. There again, my trailer hasn't been out on the road--staying in storage at the same campground all the time.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just filed my complaint with the NHTSA for the greasy brake seal problem. What's astonishing is that there is only 1 existing complaint filed on the Solitude and a handful on the Reflections. Owner's should file a complaint for this safety problem so it will get some attention before someone is seriously injured or worse as a result of brake failure. It only takes a few minutes online.

Mary
    Mary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryL. View Post
    I just filed my complaint with the NHTSA for the greasy brake seal problem. What's astonishing is that there is only 1 existing complaint filed on the Solitude and a handful on the Reflections. Owner's should file a complaint for this safety problem so it will get some attention before someone is seriously injured or worse as a result of brake failure. It only takes a few minutes online.

Mary
    I filed mine today, a check of all GD's all years show grease brake problem on 49 units. Please vote here. http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...ase-seals-fail
    2022 Soitude 390RK-R GMC Denali
    Haoview camera system; Traxx automatic Water softer; RVLock V4.0 Keyless Entry; RV; Comfort System "Cheap Heat"; Dometic 510 Toilet; Eurgeen Small Dehumidifier; Bluonics RO water filter; AP 24-1002 Propane Tank Gas Level Indicator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The recommended grease is Lithium Complex NGLI2.
    Marc & Sally
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2013 Ram 2500 SLT
    6.7L Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MegOhm, you are a perfect person to answer this question, because the grease should have a "high resistance" to running! There are many greases that will do a great job- many are documented on the threads relating to this issue on this forum.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts