User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2017 Ford with B&W slider question

We just picked up our 2018 Reflection 303 last week and had a B&W Companion slider installed using the factory 5th wheel pucks. Set up with the hitch in the rearward (1") in front of axle at the lowest height setting. Vertical clearance to rails is almost 7" and trailer initially appears to be close enough to level for my eyes. My issue is that when engaging the slider, the pin box gets scarily close to the tailgate...instead of fiddling continuously with the hitch set up which in the normal mode seems excellent and when backing into my storage garage at what I would estimate 70 plus degrees I was no closer than 1 1/2 feet from the cab without using the slider. I contacted a few others before getting the set up and everything I was told seems accurate even, the fact that a standard Companion non-slider would probably work just fine.

My wife came up with an ingenious idea to somehow drop the tailgate a few inches to give the room needed if/when we use the slider - has anyone ever done this or heard of this? Maybe just a short section of rope or chain to hold it in position? Seems like a simple solution to an otherwise complex issue.
    2017 Ford F350 XLT CC SRW SB 6.7L
    2018 Reflection 303RLS B&W Companion Slider

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always lower the tailgate completely when hitching. Another solution is to get one of those tailgates with a dip in the middle.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to pay close attention to your tailgate.

I can tell you that a new SuperDuty tailgate is $1,200 painted. Don't ask how I know.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 2wiresadave was talking about leaving the tailgate open when the slider is engaged, not for hitching.

http://www.discountramps.com/tailgat...TE-10-SUPPORT/

Here is an example of what you might be looking for. I have no input on how well it works, ive never used it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I think 2wiresadave was talking about leaving the tailgate open when the slider is engaged, not for hitching.

http://www.discountramps.com/tailgat...TE-10-SUPPORT/

Here is an example of what you might be looking for. I have no input on how well it works, ive never used it.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was trying to get at! The tailgate is not getting replaced as it has my step for getting into the bed and my back up camera.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Youre welcome, good luck, make sure you check all angles for clearance before making any extreme angle turns with that installed.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2wiresadave - I have a Reese manual slider and the wings of the pinbox come to within a couple of inches of the tailgate when the hitch is pushed back. If the terrain is anything different than perfectly level, I just open the tailgate all the way. There is no twisting/turning position that will bring the open tailgate into contact with the trailer, with the slider in the aft maneuver position.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    2wiresadave - I have a Reese manual slider and the wings of the pinbox come to within a couple of inches of the tailgate when the hitch is pushed back. If the terrain is anything different than perfectly level, I just open the tailgate all the way. There is no twisting/turning position that will bring the open tailgate into contact with the trailer, with the slider in the aft maneuver position.

Rob
    I'll have to take a peak at that as that could be an even simpler fix - I would imagine in the slid back position my tailgate would be quite far away as well. Hadn't thought of that! Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wiresadave View Post
    My issue is that when engaging the slider, the pin box gets scarily close to the tailgate...instead of fiddling continuously with the hitch set up which in the normal mode seems excellent and when backing into my storage garage at what I would estimate 70 plus degrees I was no closer than 1 1/2 feet from the cab without using the slider.
    Our pin box comes close to the tailgate with the hitch in the rear position, but should not hit unless the truck and trailer are on on different planes (front of truck down or rear of camper down).

I am wondering how you have 1.5' of clearance between the truck and camper at a 70* angle ?? Mine is probably less than 6" at that position, and that is getting a bit scary for this ol' boy. I think if I had that kind of angle, I would move the hitch to the forward set of holes, and that should also solve your pin box/tailgate problem.
    Chap, Joy, and furbaby Argus
    2017 F350 diesel, 4x4, crew cab, short bed
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    B&W slider for Ford 5th wheel prep package

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 1.5 foot measurement was my wifes eyeball estimate - maybe I better verify

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast