User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Note to GD - and owners check your A/C installations

I have started and posted in several threads related to A/C problems in the past - specifically with some bizarre behaviors with the front (bedroom) A/C. At least two other owners have written about the issue of the bedroom A/C cycling off when it reaches the set temp and then not cycling back on unless the thermostat is turned off for a moment and then turned back on. In my case, I've replaced the thermostat twice and the controller board with relay once... still behaved the same.

Yesterday I noticed a lot of air coming back out of the return duct (through the foam filter) on the front A/C when it was running. I turned it off, removed the filter grill, and went exploring with a flashlight. What I found was the metal baffle (with adhesive foam covering) that's supposed to separate the return duct from the output duct was not where it was intended to be. There was a 1" gap at the top so the foam seal wasn't touching the underside of the A/C unit and gaps at the sides and bottom that I could stick a finger through - and I have large hands. I didn't take photos, but here's a photo of the piece I'm talking about I found on the web:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duct Baffle.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	8495

After removing the filter baffle, look toward the back of the return duct area. To get to all the edges, I removed the six screws and took off the plastic trim assembly on the ceiling. I then peeled off the adhesive foam, repositioned the baffle, sealed everything up very well with Gorilla tape, and reapplied the adhesive foam (reinforcing with Gorilla tape where needed). The result is 50% greater air flow through the duct system when the unit is running and no blow-back through the intake duct. The bedroom A/C is also cycling on and off as it should.

The findings with the bedroom A/C made me suspicious of the main A/C in the living room and I couldn't let it go. Sure enough, found the same issue there! Another 20 minutes of work and it's like we have two new air conditioners. The circulation through the duct system is so much better - and the A/Cs are working so efficiently - I keep having to turn the thermostats up because my wife is complaining of being cold! My theory is two-fold (and I'm certainly NOT an HVAC expert): 1) the significant shunting of already-cooled air from the output back into the input of the unit was confusing the anti-icing sensor in the A/C causing it to shut down prematurely and perhaps not coming back on when it should, and 2) recirculating air withing the A/C without it making it's way out into the RV living space was neither cooling the RV properly nor getting the cool air to the thermostats so they could do their job properly.

Grand Design: it would be a great service to future buyers to ask the people who install these A/C units to slow down, be more careful, and do it right. I've been fighting this issue since August of 2015!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rob - We've been fighting this issue since 2014. I'm surprised it's still popping up. Here is a link I posted back in June of 14 that has some pictures too. This was on an Atwood AC, but the lack of proper installation in the factory is the same issue.

http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...ghlight=baffle

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 05-28-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So Rob, was all this found and repaired from inside without dismounting the units themselves?
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    So Rob, was all this found and repaired from inside without dismounting the units themselves?
    Yes - just remove the plastic trim and, in my case, use a small step stool in the living room.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Yes - just remove the plastic trim and, in my case, use a small step stool in the living room.

Rob
    The question is - how do you remove the decorative caps over the screws? Without breaking them?

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great information Rob. Without taking it apart it looks like my bedroom air conditioner is sealed up better than my living room unit. My bedroom unit is giving me the problem you describe. The living room unit has a gap but not as large as yours. When I return home from our trip I'll take them apart and seal them up better.
    Thanks
    Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    The question is - how do you remove the decorative caps over the screws? Without breaking them?
    I used a small, jeweler's screwdriver. It's just a three-pronged plastic snap that holds it in place.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I used a small, jeweler's screwdriver. It's just a three-pronged plastic snap that holds it in place.

Rob
    Yeah, we know. My husband tried to pry it out with a jeweler's screwdriver and a box cutter, and neither worked. Thanks.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming from somebody that's made a career out of residential maintenance I can tell you that this is huge. Not only will this cut your energy use (costs!), it will also extend the life of your A/C units and provide you the comfort that you should have been getting all along.

The only thing I might add is to use a good quality duct tape to seal off all those areas as air tight as possible....this is not the place you want to cut corners (or cost) to save a few cents.

I am surprised that Grand Design is not paying closer attention to the quality control of something that's so critical in the comfort of their product and can affect their reputation so much? This is an area that can set them apart by leaps and bounds from the competition.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Yeah, we know. My husband tried to pry it out with a jeweler's screwdriver and a box cutter, and neither worked. Thanks.
    You will need a very small jewelers screwdriver. I marked one of my caps a little but they were relatively easy to remove.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast