User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody using the Rand McNally Overdryve GPS?

I really like the idea of having a GPS unit that has the ability to utilize wireless backup camera and TPMS built-in. Anybody have any experience with these units?

Thanks,
    Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having everything integrated does make things convenient, however, with all of that integration comes a single point of failure (SPOF) for some very important things. If they are separate systems, one failing doesn't leave the others out of service as well. Personally, I don't mind the idea of dashcam/gps navigation in one unit, but I'd prefer to have my backup camera and TPMS separate.

I've also heard a lot of negative comments about their latest navigation products. One telling item was that they didn't want several of them reviewed by publications. That says "not ready for prime-time". If you look at their "promo videos", they tend to lack any real detail at all. Their OverDryve video is all of 17 seconds.

In order to get any truck/RV-type navigation features, it looks like you have to get the OverDryve 8 Pro. The TPMS on the OverDryve only has 4 sensors and does not appear to have expansion capability.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Rand McNally RVND-7720 and very satisfied with it. Also have TST707 TPMS. Not a fan of all this fully integrated stuff, if one of the features fail, you are most likely going to have to do without all of them while the one is being repaired. Reminds me of some old saying about eggs and a basket.
    Marvin & Marion
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 Ram 2500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^Bump^ this thread back to the top, to see if there is any updated experiences with the Rand McNally Overdryve unit for RV's. Recently met the TechnoRv folks at the Tampa show and they are using the Rand Mcnally for their daily travels, and are very satisfied with the way it operated. They did say that if you are coming from a Garmin, the experience and interface has a learning curve.

Moving from a 11.5 foot height to a 13.5 height has me considering my options for those databases (which seems few and far between) that contain the low clearance information.

I have recently discovered Smart Truck Route app that works with Google Maps, I am familiar with Co-Pilot, and currently own a Garmin. I am curious what others are using along with the good and bad experiences. Are these apps worth it, or should I just choose a traditional GPS that is RV Specific?