Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westlake blowout, first trip

We took our brand-new 328M out for it's maiden voyage this weekend. Love the fifth wheel! However, a six hour trip took 9 1/2 hours, because of a blowout along the interstate. Had the jack, and everything I needed. Except the lug wrench to remove the tire. Is it just me, or on a dual axle trailer of this size, should the tires not be G rated! What makes it worse, is I was trying to get my wife to the emergency room, as she's been sick. From now on I will be carrying a cordless impact wrench and a breaker bar with the correct size. Seems to me, the tires should hold up a lot better than this. We left the dealership a few days before this trip, and the tires were set at 80 psi. This was a rear tire, and not from a road hazard. I don't care how long the warranty is, if I have to change at least one tire every trip. Fortunately there was no damage to the trailer, however, I'm sure the other tire on that side is extremely stressed and ready for a blowout, since all the weight was on it for a while, even though I realized there was a blowout immediately. The tire guy that came out to help us change the tire even commented that it looked bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry you were inconvenienced, but that stuff happens. I got 15,000 miles out of my Westlakes so don't think it's brand related. I do believe the tires have a warranty so I'd contact GD directly.

I do carry a long torque wrench that also serves as a breaker bar, but had never lowered the spare. First time I needed to I found they'd drilled the access hole in the skirting in the wrong place. Fortunately I had sockets and crawled under to get access. Goes to show you gotta prepare in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've double checked that I have breakover bar and wrenches/sockets to fit my lugs but not the spare access. Will go check before next trip. Thx. One of the "experiences" I have not had yet and hope I never do but want to be prepared. We have the CoachNet service and I intend to use it but, as I tell my wife, it's something I need to be prepared to do just in case.
    2017 F350 Platinum DRW Diesel
    2017 337RLS
    B&W Companion Hitch
    Memphis, TN

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely, I will have a good set of tools, prepared for any situation. At 3520 pounds per tire maximum load for the e rated Westlakes, that gives me a maximum payload for the tires of 14,000 pounds. Our fifth wheel maximum is 16,500 pounds. Doesn't sound like there's enough shoe on the fifth wheel to carry the weight! I think the 2018 come with G rated tires.

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember the hitch is carrying probably at least 3000 lb.! Many of us forget that in our calculations.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good point Steve. However that still puts the tires at close to their absolute max, which I am assuming would add to overheating issues.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does seem a bit close for capacity, but is technically fine. Our TH uses H rated with a 4805 capacity at 125psi. But, we weigh in at 19400 with a 4200 lb pin weight. You may want to get weighed the way you load and see where you really are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct about being close to max, it seems to be the story with most models of Grand Design and probably other brands also. There are instances of 6000 and 7000 lb. axles on some models being derated as far as their sticker showing a lower maximum load, because wheels and tires, or both, are not rated to carry the load the axle can. I know that many SRW pickups hauling fifth wheels are overloading the rear tires. There is a gentleman on this forum who has extreme tire knowledge who talks about tires having a reserve capacity over their sidewall number. He has not been heard from recently. It is essential to keep recommended air pressure, because lower pressure = lower load. Another reason for tire pressure monitoring- we like our TST system, displays pressure and temperature. We have had 2 sets of Westlakes in about 40000 miles, second set was a gift from GDRV. Another story I have posted a while ago- if you need it repeated, glad to!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Steve, that's awesome. I will look into the TST system. Did not realize it would also keep track of temperature. I have read that the Michelin's have a much lower temperature and a higher speed rating. Hate to throw away brand-new tires, but I am tired of having this happen to me. Our last unit had two flat tires the last time we had it out, one of the reasons we were happy to trade it in to get the quality of the Grand Design. Wondering if we should go to Michelin's, or just the G rated Goodyears. One of the reasons we bought this unit was I spent two weeks looking at this forum, what an asset it is for a grand design owners.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TST is also helpful when you need them. I messed up the power cable, they sent me one N/C. Helped me when I had a brain freeze doing the programming. I am using the flow through sensors, screw onto the valve stem.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast