Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dual battery mounting

I'm about to go to a dual 6V battery setup in my Momentum. I plan to put one battery in the existing battery box, and was thinking about sitting the other battery next to the current box and simply strapping it to the box.

I'm not worried about it moving, but are there other issues having it sit out like that? I'm mostly wondering about venting. The current battery box cover has a goofy little vent hose that exits at the front of the camper but I can't imagine it's very effective.
    2016 Momentum 350M (w/Goodyear G614 tires matched perfect and staggered special!)
    2010 Ford F350 Lariat 6.4L PowerStroke 4x4 CrewCab SRW
    PullRite SuperGlide 20k hitch

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    My 6 volt would not fit in the OEM box. I covered the hole in the compartment floor and purchased 2 new 6 volt boxes. They are screwed to the floor. Then a simple modification to the vent and all done. The vents are effective.

Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Paul. Where'd you get those vent parts? Looks pretty slick!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
    I'm not worried about it moving, but are there other issues having it sit out like that? I'm mostly wondering about venting. The current battery box cover has a goofy little vent hose that exits at the front of the camper but I can't imagine it's very effective.
    I think the idea behind the little forward facing vent is to scoop air when moving so it flows over the battery and out the floor vent hole in the bottom of the battery box. When camping, you're right, it seems pretty small. The hydrogen and O2 gas released under heavy charging (especially overcharging) will rise and exit the front vent. Our genset sucks its combustion air from below the RV so I suppose that is a safe separation.
    Steve and Cheryl

2017 Momentum 328M w/Dual Pane Windows and 3rd A/C. Aftermarket mods: Titan EOH Disc Brakes, MORryde IS suspension and Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box
    2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn Megacab 4x4 DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axles and a Reese 20K puck mount hitch
    Call sign: AAØSB, Class: Extra

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thought - if you can, mount the 2 batteries on the light side of the unit. This will help to even out the weight a little bit.

For some reason the stock battery comes on the heavy side on many designs.

John
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
    I'm mostly wondering about venting. The current battery box cover has a goofy little vent hose that exits at the front of the camper but I can't imagine it's very effective.
    Charging batteries generate hydrogen gas which is lighter than air and rises up. The vent hose should maintain an always upward slope from battery cover to vent outlet. If you don't have this external vent or have any openings in the upper part of the battery box (like a marine box has for cable exits) this hydrogen gas can rise to the upper part of the compartment where there are switches and motors that are not ignition protected (as they would be on a boat) and could create a spark.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS