User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: King Mattress

barkermd

Re: King Mattress

After some research, I have found what I believe is the answer. Foam mattresses are notorious for holding heat. When you put a foam mattress on a solid surface without anything in between to vent, it causes condensation. ie,, warm bodies on a mattress that holds heat, sitting on a cool slab of wood with no ventilation. It will actually mildew. The marine industry actually sells a material that was made for boats to put in cuddy cabins because of this issue. A material that goes between the mattress and wood that allows for ventilation. It isn't cheap, but I have read many posts that it works. I have never had this problem in other RVs with regular mattresses. So,, with that said, looks like I will have to purchase a regular RV mattress and not use the foam. If you have the foam mattress, I would suggest that you look under it after a few nights of sleeping on it.. A solution might be to either vent the wood that it sits on, or ventilate the storage space underneath if foam is to be used.

Egork71

Maybe trying Damp-rid under the bed to absorb moisture. I use them in our RV all summer long and I am always surprised at how much water they collect. I have a whole house stereo system at home with speakers in the ceiling. I noticed water dripping from one this winter and had no idea how it could even be possible since there couldn't be any water coming from the ceiling. I went up to take a look and noticed the insulation was pushed up where the speaker was and it was exposed so with the cold speaker core and the warm air from inside the house it created enough condensation to create a drip. I covered the exposed speaker with insulation and within an hour the dripping had stopped and has not happened again. I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this but I hope it explains what happens when cold air meets warm air.

barkermd

Actually Dixie RV in Mossy Head Florida sent a warrantee claim into GD for replacement of the mattress. It had a large rip in the mattress when we took delivery in December. Pictures of the rip was sent to GD and they said they would ship a new mattress. That was over a month ago. I just learned from Dixie RV, that GD sent a mattress cover. Not exactly what I had in mind for a warrantee claim. Now I have to get a new mattress at my expense. Not really happy about this situation...

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We've done winter camping before in our previous FW, and we experienced the exact same moisture issue you've been discussing. My solution was to drill 1/2 holes in the plywood every 3 inches in order to allow ventilation. I did it in a random pattern so I wouldn't set up a fracture line in the plywood. It worked great.

p.s. I never had the problem in warmer temperatures.

barkermd

I thought about that, and actually put some light weight slats under the mattress and spaced them out.. It helped. but there was still some moisture. Plus I kind of hate to drill holes in something that is brand new, that the manufactor shoud be taking care of. If this kind of mattress is an issue on a flat surface that isn't ventilated, then the manufactor shoud either fix the problem, or send me an interspring mattress. I hate to have to modify something they should correct.. I love the RV, but this is an issue since we use it,, alot.....

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An innerspring mattress can do the same thing.

They all trap heat and moisture.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

barkermd

I've never had that problem with an interspring. I have had many Rv's with intersprings in them. An interspring allows for some air to flos under the foam and through the material that a foam mattress don't. I guess i'll have to try one and see. I appreciate your input and comments thpugh. It's really aggravating to have to lift the mattress up every few days and dry it out.

barkermd

If anyone is staying in their Solitude for an extended period of time, lift up the mattress and check underneath. My dealer just had another one come in with the same problem. GD warrantee said they have never heard of this, but it is a serious issue. My mattress has to be lifted up ever couple of days and a fan put under it to dry out.
    Even doing this my mattress has a mold spot underneath... As far as the rip in the mattress,, GD warrantee says the manufactor says it is cosmetic, even though it was there from the day of delivery. They sent a cover. A bandaid if you will.. Totally unacceptable.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How can a "rip in a mattress" be classified as cosmetic on a high end FW like a Solitude. I agree, unacceptable.

barkermd

That is what I said. It was like that from day one, I just didn't see it until I took the factory comforter off the bed to put on sheets. It is like offering to patch a new tire with a hole in it. And what really makes it bad, is I am the one that is having to deal with the warrantee guy at GD, not the dealer.. My time is worth money as well, and the dealer and GD is making a salary for this, not me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast