User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: King Mattress

barkermd

King Mattress

Just bought a 2014 Solitude 369RL about a month ago. We have spent about 3 weeks in it. Several smaller issues, but the main on is the king mattress. It has already ripped at one of the seems, (about 8 inches), which allowed me to see what is inside.. A piece of foam. The material on the mattress has already stretched and buckled on the top.. Additionally, it holds heat to the point of moisture forming under the mattress that actually wet the plywood under the bed and is already corroding the hinge in the plywood that is rests on. I weigh 210 and my wife about 140, so we aren't really large people. With all that said, the mattress is very comfy, but made very lousy.. It goes in for warrantee work this weekend, but I assume I will get the same kind of mattress with will do the same thing in 3 weeks?? Also one of the upper cabinet doors in the kitchen bangs the edge of the trim over the refridge when it opens.. Maybe a door stop of some kind or maybe a redesign on that piece of trim would be a thought? I love the RV, don't get me wrong, but in my book, these are silly design mistakes...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: King Mattress

Welcome to the forum barkermd!

We also have the Solitude 369RL, #96, and haven't had any problem with the mattress and I am a large guy ;D

I also didn't like the cabinet door striking the kitchen slide frame so I put one of those cushioned stickys that go on chair legs for hardwood floors on the door were the frame and door meet. It doesn't look real good, but it keeps the cabinet door from getting all scratched up.

Ron S

We took delivery of our Solitude last March...While the original bedspread needed to be replaced, we haven't had any problems with the mattress.

barkermd

Maybe we got a dud mattress. Although it is obviously made very cheap. We have another issue that is actually worse. Underneath the mattress, about in the middle of the mattress, we found a two large wet spots, about the size of beach balls on the wood that the mattress rests on. The mattress itself underneath was soaked. The top of the mattress was dry. The hindge in the wood where the bed lifts up, had corodided already from the moisture. Not knowing what caused this, we lifted the mattress and put a fan on it all day to dry it all out, which it did. We then put plastic down under the mattress to keep from the moisture from ruining the board should it happen again. Today we carried it in to the dealer for other warrantee work,, lifted the mattress and it was soaked again. The roof isn't leaking, and the top side of the mattress is dry. The dealer hasn't a clue. It's been in the 20's and 30's here, so we have been running the heat.. And ideas??

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Window leak above the headboard??
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

barkermd

That is one of the first things we checked actually.. No leaks anywhere. It is in the center of the mattress on the bottom. It is almost like there is a draft underneath somewhere, and maybe the cold temperature outside, and the heat on inside, is causing moisture to form in that spot. And, we have been sleeping staying in our RV while this is happening. It is a mystery, but a serious problem....

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote author=barkermd link=topic=268.msg1722#msg1722 date=1390140448]
    That is one of the first things we checked actually.. No leaks anywhere. It is in the center of the mattress on the bottom. It is almost like there is a draft underneath somewhere, and maybe the cold temperature outside, and the heat on inside, is causing moisture to form in that spot. And, we have been sleeping staying in our RV while this is happening. It is a mystery, but a serious problem....
    [/quote]

Condensation can be a significant issue if you're camping in it with the temperatures you're mentioning. I wonder if the storage area under the bed is acting like a cold air space and condensation is forming on top of it, under the mattress. I know that condensation will form inside of closets/cabinets if there's a significant temperature difference and no air movement. I wonder if you try putting more heat in the storage basement under the bedroom if that would lessen the problem. Do you have any vents or windows cracked open?

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

barkermd

No windows or vents are cracked. The storage area under the bedroom is heated automatically when the heat is on.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote author=barkermd link=topic=268.msg1727#msg1727 date=1390146108]
    No windows or vents are cracked. The storage area under the bedroom is heated automatically when the heat is on.
    [/quote]

It may sound strange allowing fresh air into the camper when you're trying to stay warm, but I suggest that you crack a window and vent open in the bedroom. With using the propane furnace and your breathing, there's a lot of moisture in the air...fresh air will help to reduce that. The other option, in addition to some fresh air is a dehumidifier.

I can still remember waking up on a cold morning in the pop-up and having condensation dripping off the canvas in the tent end because I didn't have enough fresh air coming into the camper. That's an extreme example, but it shows what can happen.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

barkermd

I can remember the same in a pop up. But there is a few K difference between the pop up and this RV. I'm sure it is a venting issue. Maybe someone at the factory should take a look at the issue. Maybe vent underneath the bed somehow. I can see hot air in the RV from heat, and hot air under the bed in the heated storage area, and cold air trapped directily under the bed with no vent.. I'm quite sure I won't be the only one with this issue.. If anyone stays in their RV in the winter time for a few nights,, check under your mattress..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast