User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Entry door adjustment

Anyone know how to adjust the entry door? On ours, the aluminum door frame just barely hits the "drip cap" in the upper left corner. We tried to schedule for the dealer to look at it, but they are booked until July and then say they need it for two weeks! We have camping trips already planned, so that's out. The executive committee (IE: Wife) has directed me to fix it myself..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Entry_Door.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	8540

I have reviewed the LCI documents regarding installing the entry door, but they were no help.

Thanks in advance!
    Mike
    Last edited by Stonedog03; 06-02-2017 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling!
    2007 Ram 3500 CrewCab SRW 6.7L 4x4
    2018 Imagine 2950RL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to adjust our door also, it was dragging on the drip cap. A small block of wood, a 2# hammer and a few whacks on the cap solved the problem..
    Marvin & Marion
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 Ram 2500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My grandson lost his balance and grabbed the door, then swung wide, then back. Hilarious to watch, particularly since he didn't get hurt. But the door was out of whack.

There is no adjustment, they are riveted in. How can I fix this?

So after some careful deliberation I discovered that you can bend the door braces. It doesn't take much force. As evidenced by my grandson. But getting them aligned back up is tricky. If you grab the edge of the door and pull vigorously you can bend the hinges out. Similarly if push on the door edge you can bend them back. if you take a large screw driver and place it behind the hinge you can bend it out. So I believe door adjustment is about bending the hinges a little. It would be easy to get carried away and have to replace the whole door. But gentle torqueing seems to be ok.

You are binding at the top of the door. Check the hinges on the bottom to see if they are impinged. If there is some play grab the top of the door and pull down. Or palm slap the top of the door to squish the hinges on the top.

You can tell by my descriptive terms that this is not an exact science. I have pushed, pulled, and placed a screwdriver behind the hinge while closing the door to get it back in place.

Best bet is to call a neighbor and see if he can figure it out while video taping him. Failing that do the same with a certified RV repairman.

Good luck!

Dallas

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    .... So after some careful deliberation I discovered that you can bend the door braces. It doesn't take much force. As evidenced by my grandson. But getting them aligned back up is tricky. If you grab the edge of the door and pull vigorously you can bend the hinges out. Similarly if push on the door edge you can bend them back. if you take a large screw driver and place it behind the hinge you can bend it out. So I believe door adjustment is about bending the hinges a little. It would be easy to get carried away and have to replace the whole door. But gentle torqueing seems to be ok.

You are binding at the top of the door. Check the hinges on the bottom to see if they are impinged. If there is some play grab the top of the door and pull down. Or palm slap the top of the door to squish the hinges on the top.

You can tell by my descriptive terms that this is not an exact science. I have pushed, pulled, and placed a screwdriver behind the hinge while closing the door to get it back in place. ... Dallas
    This is pretty much what the shop is going to do so you might as well do it yourself. It works.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
    I had to adjust our door also, it was dragging on the drip cap. A small block of wood, a 2# hammer and a few whacks on the cap solved the problem..
    X2 ^^. Have done the same, myself. I've gotten the best results by "adjusting" the hinges one way or the other rather than banging on the edges of the door.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After you autolevel, drop the nose to neg 1. Simplest fix.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same with mine x 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
    2009 Dodge DRW
    2016 Reflection 303

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I will try bending the hinges a bit first as that seems the least impact full method!

-Mike
    2007 Ram 3500 CrewCab SRW 6.7L 4x4
    2018 Imagine 2950RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    X2 ^^. Have done the same, myself. I've gotten the best results by "adjusting" the hinges one way or the other rather than banging on the edges of the door.

Rob
    Hi Rob,
    Can you be a little more specific about "adjusting" the hinges? Mine are pretty robust, don't think they will bend easily.
    My problem is the upper left corner (from the outside) is catching the frame by about an eighth of an inch, which results in the need to slam the door to close fully and lock. Noisy for me and neighbors. Plus, repeated slamming could cause other issues.
    It was noticed at PDI, but they didn't fix.
    Will the 2x4 method help? I have checked and the rig is level.
    Thanks,
    Hutch

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BHutch View Post
    Hi Rob,
    Can you be a little more specific about "adjusting" the hinges? Mine are pretty robust, don't think they will bend easily.
    My problem is the upper left corner (from the outside) is catching the frame by about an eighth of an inch, which results in the need to slam the door to close fully and lock. Noisy for me and neighbors. Plus, repeated slamming could cause other issues.
    It was noticed at PDI, but they didn't fix.
    Will the 2x4 method help? I have checked and the rig is level.
    Thanks,
    Hutch
    My post above is from 4-1/2 years ago and pertains to the 2017 Reflection 337 we owned at the time. I used a wood block and a ball peen hammer to slightly bend the hinges. I'm not sure this approach would work on our 2020 Solitude.

BTW - you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast