Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oven cooking

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oven cooking

we are not having good luck with our oven. seems to burn pizza or not cook good. I read that some people use a pizza stone as kind of a heat buffer. I tried that but laid it on the bottom right over the burner, and it cracked the stone. If anyone uses one of these where/how do you place it? I do put a oven thermometer in to check the temp. my dial is way off.
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ron
    Ron & Sue
    2016 Reflection 337 RLS
    2011 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We keep an oven thermometer in ours and it remains close to the dial. We've not found it necessary to use a pizza stone though have read of others doing it. It would go on the shelf above the burners.....not on the burners themselves. We've done cakes , cookies, casseroles and a turkey roast in it and all did fine.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used the same pizza stone, which also cracked. We continued to use it. I don't think it matters that it is cracked.
    I have been told that the lid from a cast iron Dutch oven helps. If you do search on this site, you should find some answers to your questions.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early on we had two pizza stones explode on us. We've been told we need to invest $50 in one from Williams Sonoma. We use our oven - as do many RVers we know - for storage, now. My wife does her baking in a Presto electric skillet with a baking rack in it and some towels over the glass top for added insulation. It works really well.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the newer 2017 Grand Designs now have microwave/convection ovens. In the convection oven mode they do a very nice job of even heat due to fan circulating the hot air in the oven.

Our home oven is a convection oven and it's great. We rarely use it in non convection mode any more.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_ster View Post
    we are not having good luck with our oven. seems to burn pizza or not cook good. I read that some people use a pizza stone as kind of a heat buffer. I tried that but laid it on the bottom right over the burner, and it cracked the stone. If anyone uses one of these where/how do you place it? I do put a oven thermometer in to check the temp. my dial is way off.
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ron
    Like arhayes, I've not found using the oven in our RV different than using my oven at home. I bought an oven thermometer to check out the temperatures when cooking, and find they've been true to what I've set.

I'd say you either need to adjust your recipes to allow for the temperature differences you're getting, or see if there's some sort of adjustment on the stove.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a noon stick "Air Bake" baking sheet, size 14" X 12". It works great for us when baking pizza, cookies, biscuits etc. Didn't have good luck with the pizza stone/tile.......
    Erick & Cyndi Prescott Valley Az. Unless otherwise indicated, Erick is posting...
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW 4WD
    2023 Solitude 310GK, "Pearl"

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a stainless steel round skillet in place of a pizza stone, however, we dont use the oven anymore. Once you learn how the convection oven works if you have one, that's all you need. In addition to the skillet, we have an oven thermometer in the oven when we did use it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    We use a stainless steel round skillet in place of a pizza stone, however, we dont use the oven anymore. Once you learn how the convection oven works if you have one, that's all you need.

This seems to be a common theme. I want to thank everyone because getting a basic "dry" site without electric is easy to get now. Am I the only one that dry camps and uses gas instead of paying for full hookup sites? To all those that tell us just use their convection oven, that is not always possible... sorry to rant....
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    This seems to be a common theme. I want to thank everyone because getting a basic "dry" site without electric is easy to get now. Am I the only one that dry camps and uses gas instead of paying for full hookup sites? To all those that tell us just use their convection oven, that is not always possible... sorry to rant....
    Completely understandable, we were only going off of your original post. You didnt mention anything about dry camping. If we were dry camping, the convection oven is probably a huge load on the battery bank. The gas oven does work, we had great success with the steel skillet or as others mention a pizza stone. If you look at how the oven is designed, the heat is directly in the center from front to back. To make good use of it, you need someway to even out the heat. Most people that use pizza stones report cracking which is due to a rapid change in temperature in my opinion. We went with the skillet since we already had it, it wont crack and it doubles for use to make pancakes, french toast, etc. Make sure to get a thermometer and pre-heat the oven when using it.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast