Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tires

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you do side-by-side comparisons of tires for weight and speed ratings you will notice the list of contenders dwindles quickly.
    I have "peace" of mind with the G614's and yes I run TST 507 TPMS on mine for the same reason.
    Clint
    2016 348M on MORryde IS & RPB rolling on G614's w/ TST-507's (Love the Garage)
    960W Solar, through dual SC-2030's into a 450AH T105-RE battery bank feeding an MS-2012 and monitored with a TM-2030 and a ME-RC50
    2016 F-350 6.7L/4WD/SC/SB with 5000# airbags, Truxedo cover over B&W Companion Hitch and an RDS combo tank-box

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I surrender......I have an appt. for Sat. to get 7 new Goodyear G614s with the high pressure valve stems, nitorgen, balanced, etc. I think I'll be able to breath a little easier going down the road.....especially when I hit a pot hole.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    I think I'll be able to breath a little easier going down the road.....especially when I hit a pot hole.
    I suspect you will! I know I do!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow......what a difference!

It was a visual difference at first. They had me back up very close to their building which had a fairly steep slope to the center of the driveway that was shared with the business in the strip mall next door. While still sitting on the WestLake tires I noticed that the side walls were kind of rolled the way they did if you turned, or backed up sharply. Once the original tires were removed off of the rims I walked over and could push down on the tire easily also, pushing in on the sidewall was very easy. Not so with the Goodyear G614 tires....couldn't push down on it nor could I push in on the sidewall. I also noticed that the tire itself weighed much more than the stock WestLake tire. Once they were mounted and the tire was back on the ground there wasn't any sidewall roll to it at all.

What may be a down side.....time will tell. Going down the road, I do notice that the trailer itself does ride a bit more firm.....maybe even harder as I would pass over transition strips or cracks in the freeway. I never felt it with the WestLake tires but I do feel it with the G614. As long as that remains a non-issue long term, I'm OK with that for the peace of mind that these tires provide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5264.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	8812 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5263.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	8813 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5268.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	8814 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5267.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	8815

And the date codes show that these tires were just made four weeks ago and will certainly be easy to remember. The date code is the 20th week of 2017.......2017! I actually looked all the way around the tire three times for the date code before I realized the 2017 was not the year, but actually the date code.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While getting the tires, I had them filled with nitrogen and balanced (not sure why so many people do not balance trailer tires?). I bought the Momentum and the truck from a private seller and he had new tires put on the 2014 F-350 dually just the week before I bought it (he was selling the Momentum but didn't plan to sell the truck) but I thought I might as well get nitrogen put in the truck tires also...since I bought a TPMS system for the trailer and truck.

To my surprise, they told me that there was no way to reach the valve stems on the inside wheels without removing the outter wheels. I was very surprised at that. I asked him if, when they put them back on the truck, if they could rotate the wheels so that the valve stems were visable (reachable) from reaching through the outter wheel. They tried but there wasn't any way to line them up. Another project......

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To my surprise, they told me that there was no way to reach the valve stems on the inside wheels without removing the outter wheels. I was very surprised at that. I asked him if, when they put them back on the truck, if they could rotate the wheels so that the valve stems were visable (reachable) from reaching through the outter wheel. They tried but there wasn't any way to line them up. Another project......
    Thats BS! Whoever last mounted his wheels did not line the inner tire up correctly. Merely laziness and lack of attention to detail - not impossible. I tell the techs what I expect when I have tires rotated or new tires mounted, then check when I pick it up to make sure the valve stems are accessible.

Just gotta say on nitrogen that our air is 78% nitrogen. Other than aviation where extreme pressure changes exist, I think worrying about nitrogen to fill tires is way oversold. My $.02 on that.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going down the road, I do notice that the trailer itself does ride a bit more firm.....maybe even harder as I would pass over transition strips or cracks in the freeway. I never felt it with the WestLake tires but I do feel it with the G614.
    That could be due to air pressure. The G614 can be pumped up to 120psi. The Westlakes max out at 80psi. If the tire shop put 120psi in your tires that could explain the difference in ride quality. Goodyear recommends airing your tires based on the weight of your rig. According to the Goodyear chart, I should run my G614's at 80psi.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    Just gotta say on nitrogen that our air is 78% nitrogen. Other than aviation where extreme pressure changes exist, I think worrying about nitrogen to fill tires is way oversold. My $.02 on that.

Alan
    JCZhome - see this thread and particularly the Youtube link on post #9 for some facts about Nitrogen.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...light=nitrogen

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stood there and watched him spin the outter wheel trying to line it up so the valve stems were visable through the outter wheel. It just didn't line up correctly. And the inside wheel has the smallest valve stems I've ever saw on a car or truck. Very odd.

I know that many people think nitrogen is a waste of time. However, I've experienced the difference first hand. First with motorcycle tires (we don't get near as many miles on a motorcycle tires as a car or truck). Then I tried it on the car......again, big, big difference.....better mileage than the last set, the exact same brand and I don't have to check tire pressure near as often! I bought my Momentum from a gentleman that owns a professional bicycle racing team and they use nitrogen in their bicycles. By the way....nitrogen comes stock in the Momentums, also. It's the other 22% that makes the big difference. It's free so I take advantage of it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to turn this into another nitrogen debate so I will end with this, on this subject...my personal experience, I've never paid for nitrogen....it's free when you buy tires, there's a reason that all the major truck lines have switched over to nitrogen. Here's some information for those that might be curious....

http://www.getnitrogen.org/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast