User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tires

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tires

This 376TH is my second 5th wheel and first toy hauler and much larger than my last one. I did a lot of research when I had my last 5th wheel and had decided on two sets (one set for the 376TH and one set for the truck) of the TPMS and had already decided on the TST 507RV 6 sensor tire pressure monitoring systems and the best price I could find on the net is from RVupgrades.com, at $288,37 a set. This system monitors the real time tire pressure and tire temperature for each tire. I also bought the signal booster from the same place. The TPMS issue is put to rest.

Originally I had planned on putting the TPMS system on the tires of the 376TH and my dually. However, in the couple of months that I've owned this Momentum I've read about so many issues with the Westlake tires that Grand Design put on these trailers that I'd rather be proactive rather than reactive. So.......tires.

With such a heavy trailer and the Westlake load range E. I started looking for something better. The Goodyear G614 RST tire is specifically designed for 5th wheels and trailers is a 14 ply tire with a load rating G. Goodyear (here in San Diego) wants $2,643 for six tires, steel valve stems, steel high pressure valve stems and balanced, mounted, tax...OTD. There are cheaper but are they better? The Westlake tire is a 235/80 R16 and the Goodyear is a 235/85 R16 approximately 3/4" taller tire.....which would also raise the trailer ramp door just a bit.....but I think I could live with that even if I had to place a 2x6 under the ramp door to keep from bottoming out.

I could not find many reviews or comments on this Goodyear G614 but the few that I did find were all positive. Do you have any first hand experience with the Goodyear G614 tire and are you using a TPMS with them?

Is there any other tire that you've had good success with?
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been on G614's for a year now. Probably about 6K miles. No complaints. We keep an eye on the pressure and temp with the TPMS and bag 'em when in storage or at a campsite for more than a few days. We will occasionally apply 303 protectant to ward off the high altitude UV demons that inhabit our home base.
    Steve and Cheryl

2017 Momentum 328M w/Dual Pane Windows and 3rd A/C. Aftermarket mods: Titan EOH Disc Brakes, MORryde IS suspension and Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box
    2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn Megacab 4x4 DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axles and a Reese 20K puck mount hitch
    Call sign: AAØSB, Class: Extra

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many happy users of the G614s (although the Westlake is not as bad a tire as some would make out). We have the Sailun load range G tires on our rig and have been extremely happy with them. Don't know that they're any less expensive, though.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put G614's on our RV when it was new. We run a TPMS system with them. So far no issues. The biggest benefit for me is peace of mind.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I put G614's on our RV when it was new. We run a TPMS system with them. So far no issues. The biggest benefit for me is peace of mind.
    Brian,

In another thread yesterday someone wrote, "piece of mind." My brain immediately went to visualizing what that might look like...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There are many happy users of the G614s (although the Westlake is not as bad a tire as some would make out). We have the Sailun load range G tires on our rig and have been extremely happy with them. Don't know that they're any less expensive, though.

Rob
    When replaced mine and I was pricing tires last year, Westlake's (at least in 17.5") were just a littler higher than Sailun's.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Good Year G114's (17.5's) on my rig...no complaints. One of the main reasons I chose the GY's is the 75mph speed rating(rarely do I exceed 68, but I like a safety margin). Tire failures are usually caused these days (not so years ago with the early China Bombs) by exceeding the speed rating, over or under inflation, road debris, curb strikes, etc. That is not to say there are not defective tires out there, just not as high of a percentage as you would think.

The 3/4" difference in the tire is really only going to be 3/8" of a difference in height when loading.

Big Mike
    Mike and Mary Beth, Hopatcong, NJ
    2015 Momentum 385th with MorRyde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes
    2014 Dodge Dually
    2014 Harley Ultra Limited (Big Mike's)
    2015 Indian Chieftain (Mary Beth's)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my old 5th wheel I had china bombs going off every 100 miles or so, replaced them with Goodyear G614 and they did much better. But when I bent a spindle I upgraded the axles to 8k and put 17.5 tires with Goodyear G114's. They did really good. 1 flat in 5 years.

Now with my new Momentum I am watching the Westlake's closely. Only 1300 miles on them so far, but no issues of any kind.

All that being said if you don't mind the expense IMHO the Goodyear G614 is a superior 5th wheel tire.

Dallas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed mine and put the G614's on, no problems at all. But even better than that, we have a couple of flatbed trailers that we use at work, we were constantly blowing up tires, all different brands of trailer tires. We put the G614's on them and haven't had a failure since, 4 years now, even when one took a nail and got low pressure it didnt come apart. I am sold on them, but they sure are expensive!!
    Take care,
    Chris
    2017 Momentum 350M
    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD Dually w/ B&W Companion Hitch

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a bunch you guys. Still no negative review for the G614's.

Yes, much like insurance....they are expensive. But if it saves the side of the trailer from being torn up (or worse, a major accident) then in the end, they're not so expensive.

CMJ....thanks for sharing about your other trailers tire history/experience. I think that speaks volumns about the tires themselves.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast