User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mold/mildew smell in bathroom cabinet (337)

The past three or four days I have noticed a mold/mildew smell in the linen cabinet in the bathroom of our 337. This is the cabinet with the door behind the shower and to the left of the toilet. (It's not the towels stored in the cabinet. They have been removed, sniff-tested, and washed.) I've removed the panel on the back side of the shower faucet to expose the plumbing and fittings there - no drips runs or errors nor residual moisture. Also, no signs of mold or mildew there.

I then emptied out the street side of the basement and removed the panel next to the KantLeak valve and plumbing spaghetti - no leaks or moisture there, either. Shining a light back into the utility area a could visualize the rest of the plumbing (water pump, water heater, water lines going up through the floor to the shower and bathroom sink, etc.) and saw now evidence of leaking, moisture or mold. I also did not smell anything in the basement or utility compartment.

We have been stationary for two months now serving as camp hosts in the mountains of western North Carolina. The temps have been moderate with a few rainy days and the humidity in the 60s several days. I'm wondering what else I can check out and whether or not I should get some disinfectant spray to spray down between the shower and linen cabinet just to nip anything in the bud that may be going on. Any thoughts from anyone (including Janice)?

Thanks in advance,

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 06-22-2016 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Correct spelling
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rob...that smell would have to be from the vacuum breaker/anti-siphon device for the black tank flush located behind the shower faucet. If you were to run some water through that flush line it may show that it's leaking. I believe that there's replacement brass devices out though I'm not sure where they can be sourced.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob this is off topic but where are you camp host at? I live in WNC. Might try to meet up with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David,Sherry & Two Grandsons
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS #955
    2016 Ram 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Papaw View Post
    Rob this is off topic but where are you camp host at? I live in WNC. Might try to meet up with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We're at Lake Powhatan just outside Asheville - but we pull out July 1.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Monica View Post
    Hey Rob...that smell would have to be from the vacuum breaker/anti-siphon device for the black tank flush located behind the shower faucet. If you were to run some water through that flush line it may show that it's leaking. I believe that there's replacement brass devices out though I'm not sure where they can be sourced.

Dave
    Thanks for the idea, Dave. Since I still had the panel behind the shower off, I just stepped out and turned on the black tank flush... no leaks or seepage at the anti-siphon/vacuum breaker, either. Laura swears that she couldn't smell what I was smelling (though she's got a good nose for mold) and that I was just being paranoid. I may be paranoid, but I know I smelled something. after a good spraying and wipe-down with Lysol behind the panel and in the cabinet, everything smells OK, now. I'm going to let it finish airing out and put it back together. When we get out of the woods, I'll open up the basement on a good dry day and let everything air and dry out down there, too.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second Chance Rob,

It could still be the vacuum break valve.
    Water pressure will close this valve. Vacuum in the line is supposed to open it . . . but it is supposed to close when there is no vacuum or pressure.
    Your water pressure test might not prove that it stays closed with no pressure/vacuum and it could be allowing tank smells into the cabinet.

(another) Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thought, that cabinet is on an outsoutside wall (like all of them). Could the cabinet be sweating slightly with temperature swings? Possibly just enough to cause the mildew smell. We keep damp rid in all the cabinets ,the small plastic tubs work great and are refillable.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The past three or four days I have noticed a mold/mildew smell in the linen cabinet in the bathroom of our 337. This is the cabinet with the door behind the shower and to the left of the toilet. (It's not the towels stored in the cabinet. They have been removed, sniff-tested, and washed.) I've removed the panel on the back side of the shower faucet to expose the plumbing and fittings there - no drips runs or errors nor residual moisture. Also, no signs of mold or mildew there.

I then emptied out the street side of the basement and removed the panel next to the KantLeak valve and plumbing spaghetti - no leaks or moisture there, either. Shining a light back into the utility area a could visualize the rest of the plumbing (water pump, water heater, water lines going up through the floor to the shower and bathroom sink, etc.) and saw now evidence of leaking, moisture or mold. I also did not smell anything in the basement or utility compartment.

We have been stationary for two months now serving as camp hosts in the mountains of western North Carolina. The temps have been moderate with a few rainy days and the humidity in the 60s several days. I'm wondering what else I can check out and whether or not I should get some disinfectant spray to spray down between the shower and linen cabinet just to nip anything in the bud that may be going on. Any thoughts from anyone (including Janice)?

Thanks in advance,

Rob
    Hi Rob (@Second Chance),

I've taken the liberty of asking our Customer Support to contact you. Or if it is more convenient please feel free to contact our Customer Support directly by calling (574) 825-9679 or emailing [email protected].

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.