User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portable Solar Panel Install - Renogy Kit to Furrion Socket

Hi all,
    I just completed the set up for a 100 watt "starter kit" from Renogy, on my 29RS fifth wheel.
    We do not boondock very often, so I did not want to spend a lot on a generator or solar system.
    But, a week in the desert near Quartzsite, AZ., just may be in our future.

Project descripition:

The Renogy starter kit is a 100 watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit with 20A Rover MPPT Charge Controller.
    It is meant to be a permanent install solar panel, but I wanted the most flexability possible to follow the sun, and made it portable
    with a hinged support leg of the backside,...... aluminum tube pop riveted to a narrow hinge. This steel cable keeps the leg from
    hinging all the way out.
    I decided to mount the power controller under the fifth wheel front overhang to keep it out of potential rain & shorting out.
    I gave it quick disconnect capability with a Battery Quick Connect Disconnect Electrical Plug 6-10 Gauge 75 Amps for Recovery Winch or ATV Quad, from Amazon.
    The plug for the Furrion power port is: 2 Pins Power Connector Male Plug Bayonet Waterproof IP67, from Amazon.
    A slide-in bracket on the back of controller fits to a base mount bolted to the FW front storage door.
    The steel bracket is cut from a 6x8 inch "T" reinforcement, normally used for heavy lumber construction: from Lowes.
    This makes it possible to store the solar panel and controller inside for travel.

Deployment:
    Just attach two plugs into sockets, position the panel towards the sun, and you will have up to 8 amps of sun power charging your battery.
    Total cost- $320

Tested this morning in full sunshine, the power to battery was 7.6 - 8.2 amps. Battery was fully charged in an hour from 90%.

I am planning a hanging, slide-in storage rack in the basement for the main panel, so it will be safely out of the way for travel.

Just thought I would share this idea for any other part time "Boondockers" out there.

Larry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Controller-plugged-in.jpg   System-view.jpg   Controller-plugged-in-reverse.jpg   Support-leg.jpg   controller-slide-mount.jpg  

Larry & Jeannie
    Petoskey, MI
    2016 GMC Sierra 1500 w/ NHT heavy tow option,
    AirLift airbags, Bilstein Shocks, Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus Tires - 285/50R20 116T XL
    Eeztire TPMS
    2017 Reflection 29RS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a 29RS. Love the idea. Thanks.
    2016 GD 29RS

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Big Horn dually

60 gallon fuel auxiliary fuel tank

B&W Companion hitch with TruXedo Tonneau Cover

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice

I won a 80 w panel at the GD rally in Oregon. I already had purchased a 120 w portable panel. My 120 came with the Battery Quick Connect Disconnect Electrical Plug connectors. One that went to directly to the battery. I put a Battery Quick Connect Disconnect Electrical Plug connector onto the 80 w panel connector. It's a better connector then the Furron connector.

P.S. you might want to put your controller inside the compartment.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot an important step of deployment......
    Remove the controller from the front storage compartment, and slide it down, into the base mount slot.

The controller will be stored inside for travel.
    It is mounted outside for cooling airflow during usage.

Thanks for the heads up, Orbiker.
    Larry & Jeannie
    Petoskey, MI
    AirLift airbags, Bilstein Shocks, Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus Tires - 285/50R20 116T XL
    Eeztire TPMS
    2017 Reflection 29RS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MPPT controller? I'm surprised - usually starter kits come with a PWM controller.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is a great kit.
    Well worth the low cost.
    The MPPT controller is the reason the output to battery is way more than 3-4 amps that a PWM would offer, from a 100 watt solar panel.
    Larry & Jeannie
    Petoskey, MI
    Eeztire TPMS
    2017 Reflection 29RS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    MPPT controller? I'm surprised - usually starter kits come with a PWM controller.
    Renogy offers both on their website.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by North_of_45 View Post
    Hi all,
    I just completed the set up for a 100 watt "starter kit" from Renogy, on my 29RS fifth wheel.
    We do not boondock very often, so I did not want to spend a lot on a generator or solar system.
    But, a week in the desert near Quartzsite, AZ., just may be in our future.

Project descripition:

The Renogy starter kit is a 100 watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit with 20A Rover MPPT Charge Controller.
    It is meant to be a permanent install solar panel, but I wanted the most flexability possible to follow the sun, and made it portable
    with a hinged support leg of the backside,...... aluminum tube pop riveted to a narrow hinge. This steel cable keeps the leg from
    hinging all the way out.
    I decided to mount the power controller under the fifth wheel front overhang to keep it out of potential rain & shorting out.
    I gave it quick disconnect capability with a Battery Quick Connect Disconnect Electrical Plug 6-10 Gauge 75 Amps for Recovery Winch or ATV Quad, from Amazon.
    The plug for the Furrion power port is: 2 Pins Power Connector Male Plug Bayonet Waterproof IP67, from Amazon.
    A slide-in bracket on the back of controller fits to a base mount bolted to the FW front storage door.
    The steel bracket is cut from a 6x8 inch "T" reinforcement, normally used for heavy lumber construction: from Lowes.
    This makes it possible to store the solar panel and controller inside for travel.

Deployment:
    Just attach two plugs into sockets, position the panel towards the sun, and you will have up to 8 amps of sun power charging your battery.
    Total cost- $320

Tested this morning in full sunshine, the power to battery was 7.6 - 8.2 amps. Battery was fully charged in an hour from 90%.

I am planning a hanging, slide-in storage rack in the basement for the main panel, so it will be safely out of the way for travel.

Just thought I would share this idea for any other part time "Boondockers" out there.

Larry
    It's been almost a year and a half, have you had a chance to use the setup out in the wild? I am looking to either make or buy some kind of support set up for my panel that came without one. Did not wish to spend loads of money on the whole rig as I also will be using my generator/inverter as well, but wanted something to hold it up and at the correct angle.
    2018 2600rb
    2015 Ford F-250 crew cab 4x4
    Lyons, Oregon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, we camped in the desert at the Quartsite Rally last January. Stayed four nights. The 100 watt panel was deployed the first two nights. The 42 degree temps at night required furnace fsns and we had a CPAP machine on all night.
    Two 12 volt batteries ran down to 55 percent on the third morning.
    Days were sunny and 7 - 8 amps was read on the meter most times checked.
    Without a CPAP machine, I think we would have had enough recharge capability for the batteries
    A neighbor loaned a small Honda generator for our last two days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correction: the 100 watt panel was deployed the first two DAYS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast