User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    jedward

Hello from John and Marjorie - Illinois

Hello everyone - new to the forum. We just ordered a new Reflection 337RLS at the Chicago B+RV show last weekend. Delivery TBD - but I wanted to log on as I am thrilled there is a owners forum for this brand. We are seeking any and all advice and ideas from experienced RV folks and owners of GD. This is our first 5th wheel and second RV. Our first was a travel trailer; '10 Keystone Sprinter 318FLS. While we liked many things about our Sprinter, but as it was our first RV we didn't know much - ended up there were enough things we didn't like to move on. After 6 months of looking at every (and I mean every) 5th wheel that met our target criteria we selected GD.

I'd be interested in suggestions on the following:
    1) I am looking at the PullRite SuperGlide for my hitch (we have a SB Ram). Cost is not a primary consideration - easy of use and safety are my only concerns. Anyone got one and love/hate it?
    2) I was thinking of adding a bedroom AC. One of the issues with our 36' Sprinter was that when it got to the high 80s and beyond the 13.5K AC we had would not cool the whole trailer even though the unit was ducted. I think it was mostly a volume issue as the front of the trailer was fine but and the back never got cool. Anyone with the 337 that can tell me if the standard single AC is sufficient when it gets HOT!? Does the bedroom get enough cool air - I noticed the AC is in the back? If you have added an AC what brand/model?
    3) While our delivery is a ways off, I'd be interested in anything we should be looking for when I do my inspection? Any bugs you have found that we should look for?

We look forward to seeing you GD owners out there this spring!!!

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Hello from John and Marjorie - Illinois

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new camper...excellent choice! ;D

I have a manual slider on my F250 but doubt that it'll be used as it wasn't used once on our last 5ver and it didn't have the rounded lower corner that the Reflection has. I've yet to try it but I'll check the clearance at full steering lock going forward...had lots with the last camper. The slider is like insurance...buy as much as you think you need.

No feedback for you on the bedroom AC...I don't have it though all are prewired for it. If you're camping where it's over 90, you'll probably benefit from having one. We don't camp much July/August when it busy and it's easily added should our plans change.

Dave

Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

jedward

Thanks Dave. Yeah, as it's my first 5th I think I'm going to drop the extra $$ on the auto slider just in case.

gary.l

Welcome John. My wife and I are picking up our 303 Wednesday. Last Wednesday we did the plant tour and they showed us the ducting for the ac. They have a continuous oval duct work so it is always recirculating providing for fresh cool air throughout the trailer. It has r34 insulation protecting it. We were going to get the second air ourselves but after seeing that we decided to wait. The trailer is prewired for it and can be added anytime. The plant is in Middlebury Indiana and we recommend taking the tour they are very friendly and it is very informative.

Gary

jedward

Gary - Thanks for the reply. I'd love to see the plant - hopefully we can get over there in the next month. I am optimistic that the higher quality design (vs our Keystone) will negate the need for the 2nd AC.

Enjoy the new camper!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum John & Marjorie and congratulations on your new Reflection.

We have the Pullrite Superglide and love it. This is our first 5th Wheel and I didn't want to take any chances of the front cap contacting the cab of our truck. After the second camping trip I don't even give any thought about sharp turns going forward or backing the camper into a site. You have enough to worry about when backing in beside worrying about damage to the cab of the truck.

I will say it did take some getting use to having to be almost dead on straight with the camper when hitching up. You only have 16 degrees of play either way when hooking up with the plate on the king pin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi John, Marjorie & Brady! Welcome to the forum
    We have a Solitude 305RE, and it's about the same size as your Reflection 337. We have 2 AC's, and very glad we do. We mostly camp here in Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas--the temps and humidity down this way, even in the fall and spring just about requires 2 AC's.
    Soooo if you travel this way...you may what to consider the additional AC.
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations and welcome to the forum

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi John and Marjorie, After months of shopping, we also purchased the 337RLS in late November. I was very impressed with the construction of the Grand Design and my wife loves the counter/cabinet space and shower configuration.

We also purchased the PullRite SuperGlide hitch and have been very pleased so far. The hitch I purchased mounts to the truck bed using standard rails. Also note that the hitch is pretty heavy to place and remove from the truck, and as mentioned above, you must be pretty much straight on to hitch/unhitched the RV.

Being in Texas, we also thought about the adding the second AC unit in the bedroom. Our dealer recommended holding off on the second unit because of the duct system and the higher insulation R-value. I still have a feeling I'll be adding the second unit this summer.

Congrats on the new rig!

Jeff
    Trish & Jeff Dallas/Fort Worth
    2012 Ford F250 Super Duty - 6.7L Diesel
    ATTA 45 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank
    PullRite SuperGlide Hitch
    Grand Design - Reflection 337RLS