User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Massive problems with a brand new $190,000 5th wheel from a high end manufacturer

If you think Grand Design is lacking in its quality control prior to delivery, they seem positively outstanding compared to something I just read in another forum for a very high end 5th wheel manufacturer. I came across this post regarding someone who took delivery of an ultra high end 5th wheel. The MSRP on the model they bought STARTS (before options) at $193,399!!!!

Here's their post:
    First of all, it's the wrong exterior color and the countertops and tile is not what we were told it would be. We aren't sure where the disconnect occurred. The order sheet is accurate. I mean we are happy with how it looks. It's not what we ordered but it's beautiful regardless!

We are still getting all the kinks out. We feel that the following are not repairs, nor warranty issues. They either never worked in the first place or they were not installed.

If you are waiting in a unit, our advice is to just really test everything you can. Because of delivery delays having already burned 2 weeks of vacay, they delivered the unit. The driver who delivered wa. Ken (new QC mgr), stayed 3 days to get us a mobile tech and get us to the survival point and then he left. He was over and beyond.

We completely understood he had to get back and left us in good hands. He and our saleslady, Christina have stayed in contact every step of the way.

We continue to find stuff.

Here's my list, so you know what to watch for;

Things that still have to be dealt with...

1· Automatic leveling system is not working. We are doing it manually.

2· Leaks around outside storage units because gaskets were not installed correctly.

3· Sleep number bed holes cut too small so tubing kinked and beef would not inflate.

4· Propane tank hardware is laying on floor of the compartment.

5· No seals around surveillance cameras outsid.

6· Shorted, spliced POE wiring to cameras in multiple locations. Because the wiring was taped down every little bit, we have toI figure out how to pull new wire. FYI, you never cut and splice POE wiring, especially with wrong ends and exposed to the elements.

(We provided whole, terminated wiring)

(Once the $3000 system comes up we'll need able to determine if they fried it with compromised power over Ethernet wiring.)

7· Shorted tank sensors so none are reading.

8· Wiring to night shades in den shorted.

9· Temporary roof patches need to be repaied differently (This happened when they moved the satellite dish for whatever reason".

10· Smears in paint job that they showed us during our visit but didn't repair.

11· No seals in holes under and around trailer.

12· No temp sensor in small den, on center unit.

13· Wi-Fi Ranger not delivered or installed.

14· Solar termination wiring were swapped showing obvious failures.

15· Some window curtain holders arrived broken.

16· Decorative wooden dots missing randomly throughout (I can glue those on). One panel has them, then 3 do not.

17· Various windows throughout, will not stay up because they are misaligned.

18· Some automatic blinds power supplies missing. The rest were not programmed. We flashed the whole park for a few days.

Here's what they (Ken & the mobile tech) have fixed..

1· The furnaces wires were not connected.

2· Middle A.C. Unit failed and they overnighted a new one.

3· Energy management system board failed not allowing a connection shore power. We had no power the first night. Thank God we had a generator. The mobile tech bypassed it until the new board arrived.

Now Barry can fix probably 85% of these things but he's done fixing things now.

Things Barry fixed while having bronchitis...

1· The thermostat went out the other night about 2 am because a wire was loose from the circuit board.

2· Hydraulic lifts under bed not connected.

3· The tightened screws to the awning fell out.

4· Solar wiring hooked up backwards so he switched them.

5· Removed the Wal-Mart circuit. breakers and installed the proper commercial breakers in the proper side.

6· Outside TV sound did not work because it was not plugged in.

7· Black and get water tanks not labeled. Found those by trial and error.

8· Hardware missing from cabinets.

9· Shelves in the cabinets all had to be replaced because they were cut too short (then too wide so Barry cut them himself).

10· Automatic night shades were not programmed.

11· Gas line valve to stove was not opened.

They forgot to include the night shades remote, TV remotes, vacuum parts and the standard folding chairs.

We found the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) list and some of these items were noted but not corrected. We are thankful to have a great mobile tech, as well as, Ken and Christina's support.

This place was so dirty when we got it that smoke and sparks came out of the heating units when trader's There were metal shavings, fiberglass and saw dust everywhere, especially in the shower. But we couldn't vacuum it up either because they forgot to put the vacuum accessories in.

We even paid to have it washed on the outside because unfortunately, Ken couldn't find a truck wash and it rained his whole trip. Not his fault but it was still $175 for the wash.
    John, Heidi and our 2 Cocker Spaniels Venus & Big Papi
    2016 Relfection 30BH 5th wheel
    2016 F350 SRW CC SB 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    Pullrite Superglide with Superrails

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious what brand this was? That is QUITE a list!!!
    Johnny & Leigh
    2015 RAM 2500 CTD
    2017 GD Imagine 2950RL
    "What if the HOKEY POKEY "IS" what it's all about?"
    "An honest government has no fear of an armed population".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! $193,399 before add one? Gold plated toilet seats?
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The moral of the story is never accept delivery of any RV at your home. Only accept delivery at the dealership after a proper PDI has been done.

What we have here is a big safety issue. This fifth wheel trailer is still in the process of being built. It needs to go back to the dealership who needs to return it to the manufacturer.

The dealer needs to reverse the sale on this specific unit.
    The manufacturer needs to build another fifth wheel trailer to the correct specs. And at the PDI, I'd take the mobile tech to the dealership to go over every system.

In the perfect world, purchasers really need to go through the PDI prior to going through the paperwork and paying for the RV. Maybe more owners need to make that part of the deal.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCBoyer View Post
    Wow! $193,399 before add one? Gold plated toilet seats?
    If not solid gold With the options he listed in his post, the MSRP jumps to $212,000. Factory direct price is probably around $155,000. Options included: Camera surveillance system ($3000), powered window shades ($950), Direct TV ($2500), Wifi range booster ($550), Generator ($6500), Central vac ($580), Solar panel ($1199), outside TV ($1999), Sleep number bed ($2399)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    The moral of the story is never accept delivery of any RV at your home. Only accept delivery at the dealership after a proper PDI has been done.

What we have here is a big safety issue. This fifth wheel trailer is still in the process of being built. It needs to go back to the dealership who needs to return it to the manufacturer.

The dealer needs to reverse the sale on this specific unit.
    The manufacturer needs to build another fifth wheel trailer to the correct specs. And at the PDI, I'd take the mobile tech to the dealership to go over every system.

In the perfect world, purchasers really need to go through the PDI prior to going through the paperwork and paying for the RV. Maybe more owners need to make that part of the deal.
    Agreed. This manufacturer only sells direct so you have to be willing to go to the factory, maybe several times, if you want to pick it up and ensure the PDI is complete. And I think if you are having a unit built, especially something that is customized and has many high tech features like this one, don't plan your vacations (or start of retirement) around the RV completion/delivery time. You need to build time in the schedule to allow for delays in the build, and then even more time to allow for problems to be fixed before you take delivery.

John

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If one can afford a 1/4 million dollar Fifth wheel, then the expense of travelling to the factory 3-4 times should not be concern.
    With that list of issues, that rig will never be right. They should of refused delivery and told the driver to drag it back.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, when you can afford the finer things in life you expect them to be right the first time. That's much of what you're paying for. So travelling to the factory 3-4 times is a very big deal especially for high net individuals when a day off may mean $10k.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know three people who recently purchased high end 5th wheels ($150k plus) from different manufacturers that have had extensive issues. They all said "all RV's have issues like this". Of course I didn't tell them that my lowly Reflection only had one issue (leaking grease seals) and NOTHING ELSE. I couldn't believe some of the problems they had. Two of them had to drive their RV's back to the factory for repairs. No dealers on the west coast. No local repair guys were allowed to attempt some of the repairs. What a mess. Very happy with my poor man's RV.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man I'm sitting in my cheap so called massaging chair enjoying the hell out of it while reading this! Lol! I don't think I would spend that on something you haul down the highway even if I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast