Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Slideout Awnings

I've had two other fifth wheels and a travel trailer. I'm in the group that prefers to sweep the top of the slides if they need it, which they rarely do. If there is a breeze, it usually blows pine needles or leaves off of the top anyway.

cuttinchief

Yes Tom I was in the same boat at the same show.haha I think we stood there and talked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote author=TucsonJim link=topic=281.msg2288#msg2288 date=1391965970]
    I've had two other fifth wheels and a travel trailer. I'm in the group that prefers to sweep the top of the slides if they need it, which they rarely do. If there is a breeze, it usually blows pine needles or leaves off of the top anyway.
    [/quote]

I'm of the same opinion after 30 years of RVs. I have had them on a fifth wheel but would not do so again. I rarely have to sweep any debris and we camp in some heavily wooded areas. At least one major manufacturer does not endorse using them and they are not a factory option. Their reasoning is that, occasionally, they place tension on the upper part of the slide, causing leakage. For me, a good collapsible ladder is a better, and less expensive option.
    Floyd - Lake Tenkiller, OK (and occasionally Okla City)
    2014 Reflection 303RLS #9
    2020 Transend Xplor 221RB
    2016 F150 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/HDPP and MaxTow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am also in the group to go without slide out awnings. Had them on my previous trailer, after a while they began to sag and collect water. Got a bath everytime I put the slide in. It is just easier to sweep off the top of the slide rather than clean the awnings. Mine also got moldy and stained and it was very hard to clean them and get the stuff off.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every other trailer I have owned with slides had slide toppers, but I am not doing it on the Momentum, it has a ladder already attached to the trailer, so I don't need to carry one to get on the roof. I will just make sure I have a soft broom and take my shoes off before I go on the roof. Plus the money I saved on not putting them on, I can use for other fun mods.
    Korey SE WI
    2014 Denali 3500HD LML DRW 4wd FS Airbags 20k Reese
    2014 Momentum 385TH #1396
    2013 Manitou SES VP 150hp Mercury 4 stroke
    Volunteer Firefighter Since 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked my dealer about them and he said how much better these slides are compared to the older units they are not really needed. Like what was said before wind flapping and just something else that you will have to maintain.
    Gary & Marie Rochester MN
    Nikki (Boston terrier)
    2014 Momentum 385TH
    2005 Ram 3500 5.9 diesel dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered my 2018 GD Solitude 375RES R with the slide out awnings. We were in the market for high-end Class A Diesel pushers before deciding to wait until retirement. They all recommend them due to debris that collects on top of the slide. This debris if not cleared every time can affect the slide seal. The 375 has 5 slides and at the end of a trip, the last thing I wanted to do or even thinking of is cleaning each slide. Small investment to prevent a large repair later.
    Here is a good video demo. Not the best 5ver but, you'll get the point.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axbn4hmPXuQ

Starting to see the 2018 Solitudes on dealer lots with the slide awnings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 8.47.58 AM.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	10209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 8.47.29 AM.jpg 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	10210Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 8.47.18 AM.jpg 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	10211

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had one installed on our new 2600rb at a cost of $550. We live in heavily forested area and will be camping in the same about 50% of the time. At my age, even though I feel much younger at 70 and wish to reduce chances of falling. Figured after doing much reading it was a good first investment
    2018 2600rb
    2015 Ford F-250 crew cab 4x4
    Lyons, Oregon

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my 2800bh goes in for some minor warranty work in December, my dealer will be installing a slide topper for me. Just turned 71, not going to be on the roof!! I can still do it....just not going to.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jking46 View Post
    When my 2800bh goes in for some minor warranty work in December, my dealer will be installing a slide topper for me. Just turned 71, not going to be on the roof!! I can still do it....just not going to.
    I'm only 68 but I agree with you, I'm not getting up there to clean them off either. I don't think I would bounce very well at this age and don't plan on trying it, especially if it has been raining as the roof can get slick then. Also where we live there are lots of oaks at our place and those leaves with a little water/dew will not move off anything, seem to stick like there are glued on.

We had our toppers installed by the dealer before we picked up our rig, yes they are expensive but I like them and have had them on a number of units. We full timed for a period of time and both of our 5ers then had them. We sold our MH before we bought this and we had slide toppers on it. They came standard on the MH.
    Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2020 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 Red and Black Ram Rebel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast