User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ta4dice

Slideout Awnings

Hello from Missouri, My wife and I went to the RV show in Kansas City (with no intentions of purchasing a new rv) and fell in love with the Solitude 379FL. We made a deal and ordered it. My question is slideout awnings are a $1700 option from the factory and I cant decide if I want them or not. I've heard that they make a lot of noise in the wind. I would love to hear your input. Thank you, Tom & Teresa

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Slideout Awnings

Welcome to the forum Tom & Teresa, and congratulations on your new Solitude.

We do not have the slide toppers yet, but they are on our list of "wants" ;D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, Tom and Teresa. My take on slide toppers is: Do they make noise in windy conditions? Often, yes. Do they keep crud off the top of your slides? You bet. My personal choice is not to have them since we prefer to camp in more open spaces where falling debris is not much of a problem. If there is debris, I climb on the roof with a broom and clean it off just before putting the slides in. If you don't like the idea of climbing up on the roof, then toppers might be a good thing but that "flap, flap, flap" noise they make when it's blowing outside can be pretty annoying. >
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Ta4dice

Thanks for the input everyone. I don't mind climbing on the roof and checking my slide outs, so I will probably pass on them and save the $1700. Cant wait to get our new Solitude in March. Thank you so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hiya Tom and Teresa and welcome to the forums!
    Congratulations on the purchase of your 379FL...what a beautiful floorplan

We have the slide toppers and love the convenience and additional protection it offers to the slides. Our previous camper did not have the toppers and we battled debris and rain (sometimes it would leak) constantly. I promised myself that my next camper would not leave the dealership without them.

Wind so far has not been too much of an issue...On our last camping trip this past Nov, we had wind gusts of 25-30 mile and the flapping wasn't too noticeable.
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If toppers are installed and adjusted correctly, you should have very little flapping, except in extreme wind.

Many are installed too loosely, and then that is what you get....

I won't own another rv without them.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was traveling, I loved them. Just pull in the slide and watch everything roll off the topper. When we started seasonal camping, we upgraded from a TT to a 5ver. I had the toppers installed. The 5ver spent it's entire life on our seasonal site, never traveled with it. The toppers were a waste of money, only because the slides come out in the spring and pulled in in the fall. Cleaning the top of the sliders is just part of the roof washing I do during the summer. I owned that 5ver for 5 years and never had problems with flapping. Like huntr70 said, if they are installed correctly and tension set right, you shouldn't have a problem.

Skipped the toppers when we got our 369RL. If we ever start travelling with it, I may have them installed.
    Tim
    2014 Solitude 369RL #1195
    2015 Ford F-350 Lariat Long Bed DRW
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Islander
    1990 Jeep Wrangler Laredo
    1982 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler

Ta4dice

Thanks again everyone for the input. Now I am leaning towards getting them. I think I would rather have them installed at the factory than at the dealer. There are alot of trees where we camp so I think it would be a good investment. Thanks again, Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a Solitude 369RL with slide-out awnings and they make a little noise only in very windy conditions but its minor and certainly does not bother us or keep us awake at night. In fact we installed an after market slide-out awning on the slide-out next to the entry door because I think its essential. For some reason, GD only installs slide-out awnings on the 2 slide-outs on the off door side of our Solitude model when ordered from the factory. Definitely order them from the factory as you can get a better price than the listed MSRP from your sales person.
    Good Luck
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

cuttinchief

Hopefully awning toppers are on all slides because in windy conditions most people put their big awnings in. You still need them on the slides on the main awning side? I won't have a rig without them. Yes they can be noisy during storms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast