Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Reflection, Bedroom TV mount backer plate material?

For those that might not know....Camping World will install ANYTHING you buy from them for $39.00 with a Good Sam membership. Just an FYI.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I do not plan to mount a TV in my bedroom, if I were to ...

The magnet is used to find stud. You can also use an electronic stud finder which will find either wood or metal studs.

The backer supplied by the factory is not metal (to the best of my knowledge). It would be a thin piece of plywood or something similar.

Determine if there is a stud where you wish to mount your TV. Mark location with a piece of masking tape.

Get a piece of 1/4 or 3/8 plywood, 8X10 inches would work or slightly larger. Paint to match wall.

The plywood will be centered right to left behind your TV. Top to bottom location depends upon your mount. If there is a stud located behind where your TV will go, put 3
    sheet metal screws through the plywood into the stud (spaced vertically in the plywood)--AFTER the next step.

Drill 4 holes located near the corners of the plywood. Hold the plywood in its location and mark through the holes with a nail to indicate their position on the wall. Remove the plywood, install 4 wall anchors where the marks are. Put the plywood back in place and fasten with the wall anchor screws. Then put in the sheet metal screws through the plywood into the studs.

Fasten the TV mount to the plywood with the 4 supplied screws. Fasten the plate to the back of the TV with the supplied bolts.

Install all cables to the back of the TV--power, HDMI if you will need one, and cables for signal.

Connect TV to wall mount.

If you use an articulating mount that will let you swing the TV away from the wall, you will increase the possibility of the TV ripping the screws out of the wall at some time.
    I recommend using a simple mount that will hold the TV close to the wall or one that will let it swivel slightly. Best Buy and similar stores do not usually carry these mounts because they are so inexpensive. Look online for TV mounts, should be less than $20.

First choice--get your dealer to mount the TV
    Second choice--stop by a Camping World on a trip, buy a mount from them and get them to mount it for $39
    Third choice--above

Robert
    Robert & Sheila, Amarillo, TX
    2013 F250 short bed crew cab, diesel, 4X4, Firestone air bags
    2014 Reflection 337, Michelin XPS Ribs, Anderson Ultimate Fifth wheel hitch

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The backer is electro galvanized steel.

I just confirmed it with Micah, who is the designer of the Reflections.

I was bored, so emailed him at work.....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi @titrtyca,

I confirmed with our Engineering department that your Reflection 293RES has electro‐galvanized sheet (EGS) metal backer strips in the sidewalls. And it is correct that you can use a magnet to find an EGS backer. To install an aftermarket TV bracket, use either 1" sheet metal screws or 1" hollow wall anchors or 1" molly bolts (do not use self tapping screws or self-threading screws). If you have further installation questions, we respectfully ask you to contact your dealer or our Customer Service department at (574) 825-8000.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

titrtyca

Thank both hunter and Janice. This helps very much

balm32
    I just installed a TV mount in our 323bhs.

Directions from Janice above were perfect. Magnet and #14 sheet metal screws, 1". The grip was perfect. I do wish the backer went a little higher up the wall. I had to do some modification to the mount to get the TV in the position I wanted it, but this was more of an issue with where the mount screws were on the TV (not centered vertically) as opposed to the backer. I emailed GD to see if I could get a picture of this with the paneling off similar to the one on page 18 of the link below, but I never heard back from them. It turns out, it really isn't necessary. Use a magnet and trust it. Easy install.

http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...thighlight.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12