Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Beautiful Bourbon Country” / good RV park

Hi Forum

We are planing a trip to KY in May and would like to do the Bourbon tour and the Mammoth Caves. I need to find a good RV park in each area any recommended would help as so far we can not find any to fit our new Momentum in!
    Thanks

Tony
    Tony & Hilary Self
    2014 Momentum 385TH #290
    2015 Ford F450 with B&W Companion ,Transfer Flow 57 G Midship and 40 G Toolbox tanks
    Extra load springs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: “Beautiful Bourbon Country” / good RV park

Hey tonyself,
    We actually live in Lexington, KY so we are right in the middle of the bourbon trail--and we do have some great bourbons! I know the Kentucky Horse Park off of I-75 is a popular place. We have not ever camped there becuase it is only a half hour from home but I have heard a lot of good things about it. I have actually heard of Lexington campers going out there to camp for the weekend! It is beautiful country out there and a double bonus with all the equine exhibits. You may want to do a little internet search on it and see what others say about it.
    Happy camping and enjoy our Bluegrass! If you come the first three weeks in May the track will also be open!

Sandi and Allen 8)
    Allen and Sandi-Lexington, KY
    Home of fast horses and beautiful women!
    2015 Chevrolet Duramax 4 x 4 3500 HD LTZ
    2014 Solitude 369 RL-Oct. 2014
    2016 Momentum 376 TH-April 2016

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tony

We have stayed at Kentucky Horse Park. Nice place. Paved sites, most are level. Very pretty area.

We might stop there on our trip to Dayton in May.

Kay

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

jedward

Tony - We camp every year in KY a couple times each year for about 10 years now - either as a destination or a way-point. I recommend the Kentucky Horse Park CG as well - it's a great CG and perfectly located. They book up in my experience so go online and get a res. I have seen 45' motor-homes in there so no worries. Alternately, you can camp in the primitive area (basically a field adjacent to the CG) and access the KHP facilities - but there is no water hookup and you need a geni. I actually prefer the primitive area for short stays.

I also recommended Taylorsville Lake State Park. It's a little "off" the bourbon trail, but it's one of our favorite spots. Lake, pontoon rentals, hiking trails, horseback riding, etc. You might want to check it out. I have seen some pretty good size rigs in there, but call and they can likely tell you what sites will fit your set up.

If you are going to Mammoth Cave I can tell you the MCave CG sites will be too tight for your 5th. Typical national park - not designed for the modern rvs. I jammed my 36' travel trailer in one of the sites but there were very few if any that I recall that could take a full size 5th. There was a nice little CG called Cave County Campground in cave city. Sites were plenty big, but it's really just a overnight CG or a place to lay your head at the end of the day. Nice owners that I recall, but right off the highway so was pretty noisy. There were some other CG options between Cave City and the park, but we have not stayed in any of those.

Kentucky in the spring is awesome - enjoy.

Cowsareus

We are from Kentucky and have stayed at Cave Country RV park in Cave City. The park has full hookups and close to Mammoth Cave and the National Park. A lot of the sites are pull thrus and can easily handle Big Rigs. If you plan to see MC make sure you purchase tickets for the tours online if you plan to be there on the weekends. We also enjoy the Ky Horse Park and that means your close to the Bourban Trail and Lexington. The only thing about KHP no sewage hookups but they do have plenty of dump stations. They also have the museum and beautiful walking areas, dog run areas and things to do.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a mobile pump out service at Kentucky Horse Park.

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sandi I live in Danville and you are right the Horse Park is a good start.
    2014 Solitude 369RL# 334
    2008 Chevy Dually 3500
    Love my 5th Wheel