User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2" Reciever installed for Bike Rack on Solitude

I know the picture looks like the ordinary back of a Solitude. But look closely... it is a modified rear of the Solitude. A project that was a year in the making. I want to take my bicycles on the road with me, to ride all the bike paths across America. The Solitude has no receiver to mount my bike rack on. In my research, I read the horrors of the bumper mounted receiver (the down force causes the bumper to break and you lose your bicycles at about 55 mph. At the West Coast Grand Design Rally in Red Bluff, Emily Stahley, from Lippert crawled under my rig in order to get measurements. She did research and emailed the boat receiver that I needed to buy. Ordered it from Camping World, saved $45 on item and $186 on shipping. Just 2 days ago, I went to Lippert plant 29 in Rialto, California for a welding appointment with MacKenzie McGrady. They did a bang up job and now I can ride my bikes. I appreciate the help from both of the Lippert employees and so glad that the company did it right!!! Thanks again, Emily and McKenzie.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reciever.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	8694
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

2016 Grand Design Solitude 321 RL #5754
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dale - I'd like to add a bicycle mount like you but just don't think it's strong enough to survive bumps and potholes if we travel over rough ground.
    I hope someone comes up with a method of providing vertical support, like a cable or support bracket of some kind that's anchored to the roof.
    In the mean time, could you send us photos of how the receiver is mounted/welded to the frame underneath your rig.
    I'm hoping it goes back at least 4'.

Thx,

John
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John612 View Post
    Dale - I'd like to add a bicycle mount like you but just don't think it's strong enough to survive bumps and potholes if we travel over rough ground.
    I hope someone comes up with a method of providing vertical support, like a cable or support bracket of some kind that's anchored to the roof.
    In the mean time, could you send us photos of how the receiver is mounted/welded to the frame underneath your rig.
    I'm hoping it goes back at least 4'.

Thx,

John
    If the receiver is properly welded to the frame there should be no issues with using it for a bike rack without any additional support. Our 2016 Reflection came with a frame-mounted receiver intended for that purpose. It's had a Swagman RV bike rack and two bikes on the back for the last 18,000 miles without any problems at all - and we've been on some pretty bad roads during that time.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob, could you post a couple of photos of what it looks like underneath?

Thx
    John
    John, Susan & Luke
    Bakersfield, CA

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John612 View Post
    Thanks Rob, could you post a couple of photos of what it looks like underneath?

Thx
    John
    Sorry... I don't have any. It's welded to a couple of cross-members that are welded to the frame rails on both sides. It came from the factory that way and is rated for just 300 lbs. - just enough for a rack and a couple of bikes. We're in the middle of painting a house for the kids (wedding present) or I would offer to take some snaps and post 'em.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are the pictures of the weld... Several point. This was designed by Lippert to be used with a Lippert frame. The rating is 300 pounds, but is designed for pulling a boat. A lot more weight. When the Lippert Plant 29 installed it, Mackenzie McGrady called the engineers in South Bend Indiana, to make sure the job was done as the engineers designed. It was the first time he had the request in California (I think those out her just5 have a friend weld it. In the end, i like that Lippert build the frame and receiver and that Lippert welded it on. The receiver was welded to the frame extensions at the back of the frame.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0412 2.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	8730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0414 2.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	8731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0415 2.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	8732
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dale, looks pretty stout.
    John, Susan & Luke
    Bakersfield, CA

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem Rob, inbound to a July 1 kid wedding ourselves, ain't life grand?��
    John, Susan & Luke
    Bakersfield, CA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dale,

Please provide some more details.
    I would like to look into having this done on my 2017 Solitude.

Thanks,

Keith Stephens
    Apache Junction, AZ
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktsteph View Post
    Dale,

Please provide some more details.
    I would like to look into having this done on my 2017 Solitude.

Thanks,

Keith Stephens
    Apache Junction, AZ
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

I ordered the one listed on the LCI website https://store.lci1.com/72-1-2-boat-hitch-receiver The LCI rep, Emily Stahley, who came to the NorCal Rally last Oct measured my frame and told me this would take care of the bike racks. She even joked that with the 300 pound rating, it might be a little overkill. I stated I liked overkill!!!

It is the following:

72 1/2 BOAT HITCH RECEIVER
    $346.50
    SKU: 168425

However I ordered it from Camping World (called online number and special ordered it). It was about $306 and the shipping to California was $13. To order from LCI was $346.50 plus $200 shipping. Funny... the order from Camping World came from the same LCI warehouse in South Bend Indiana as the Lippert order would have.

Went to have it installed and it was 1/4 inch too long, so they took off the perpendicular square tubing at the top and cut the end. They welded a new 1/8 flat piece to the end. They re-welded the perpendicular square tubing on top. This was welded to the frame extensions that hold the bumper on. The receiver was welded to the bumper at the front and back to make sure it did not rattle against the bumper. The supervisor at the Rialto, California Lippert plant 29 contacted the engineers in Indiana and made sure this was the proper way. If you look, I had it set out about 2 inches past the bumper, so I could access the hole to put the pin in for my bike rack. Originally, they tack welded it sticking out 7 inches. He asked for my approval before the final weld and I asked that he move it back to the 2 inch mark. It is far more appealing in its looks at this location.

Today I am going to take a picture with my rack and bikes installed. I will post final job.
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast