Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Surge Protector

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full timers, 2 plus years, have the Progressive 50 amp. portable unit. Sent back for repair once, got it back very quickly. Second failure, they sent me a new unit for exchange. All N/C. I went portable because when issues happen, easy to see readings, it has a metal loop where a padlock could be used. I chose portable because all problems that might occur will be outside our unit. It works fine on lower amperage sources with adapters. I think we bought it from Tweetys for about $100 less than factory direct.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Webmeister View Post
    O...if we were on the road and have it go bad I would have to do a bit of electrical bypass work...
    Same as what Second Chance says (ours is behind the breaker panel too), and if there's a problem with the EMS unit there is a bypass switch on the remote.

Ben
    Sharon, Ben & Maggi-Ann (the Cockapoo)
    2014 Reflection 293RES with Airborne Sidewinder
    2015 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4x4 Crewcab with Reese R16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...We do not plan to get a second AC and do not need 50 amp. If by some strange chance we get to a park that has 50 amp only, will a 30 amp with a dogbone be ok? ALSO if yours shuts down behind your panel do you then have to remove your panel to see its status...
    Yes, we use a 30A cord because it's lighter, never need the 50A. If there's a problem the code shows up on the remote. I mounted the remote just above my breaker panel.

Ben
    Sharon, Ben & Maggi-Ann (the Cockapoo)
    2014 Reflection 293RES with Airborne Sidewinder
    2015 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4x4 Crewcab with Reese R16

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got me sold Second Chance. We do not plan to get a second AC and do not need 50 amp. If by some strange chance we get to a park that has 50 amp only, will a 30 amp with a dogbone be ok? ALSO if yours shuts down behind your panel do you then have to remove your panel to see its status...Thanks for jumping in here...
    With a 50 amp rig, I would not consider anything other than a 50 amp EMS... personally. In answer to your second question, no - there is a remote display mounted on the front side right next to the panel. All I have to do is open the wooden door there at the bottom of the steps and look at the display. The units automatically reset after the situation resolves, so no intervention is required (unless the unit is fried - and that would take a lot).

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 08-10-2016 at 11:00 AM. Reason: I misspelled my own name!
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, internet delay on all the replies that have been made...I got my answers and thank you all very much!
    Bradley & Glenna
    2016 29rs Reflection
    2016 Ford F250 - B&W Patriot 18k Slider

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would have to agree with Bradley & Ben . . . with a smaller Reflection and single AC, there is no need to drag out that 50A cord. 30A is more than sufficient.

But, to Bradley's specific question . . . you can't safely use an adapter to plug a 30A (120V) cord into a 50A(240V) outlet. I have seen these adapters on the internet, but this creates the situation where a 30A cord is "protected" by a 50A breaker . . . not a good idea.

You can plug a 50A into a 30A (with appropriate adapter) since this results in 50A circuits being protected by a 30A breaker. A safe situation. So if your surge protector is internal (or external at the back bumper in our case) the lighter 30A cord works just fine.

I don't think I have ever encountered a site with only a 50A outlet . . . so not likely something that you have to plan for. We do carry both cords and have encountered sites with poor or broken 30A outlets and then haul out the 50A stuff.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of just installing a 30 amp into our 29RS as we only have 1 air conditioning unit. Just spoke to factory service, they said being that the unit is a 50amp unit (for the extra a/a if we wanted) I need a 50 amp surge protector otherwise I will only be protecting 1 leg...good to know...
    Bradley & Glenna
    2016 29rs Reflection

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of just installing a 30 amp into our 29RS as we only have 1 air conditioning unit. Just spoke to factory service, they said being that the unit is a 50amp unit (for the extra a/a if we wanted) I need a 50 amp surge protector otherwise I will only be protecting 1 leg...good to know...
    The factory advice is correct if installing a built in surge protector.

If using an external surge protector, a 30A would work.
    Plug the surge protector into the 30A post outlet.
    Plug the 30A cord into the surge protector.
    Plug a 30A male to 50A twist lock female adapter in the cord and into the RV.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK looking at the installation instructions for a 50 amp internal they speak of "before" and "after" a Transfer Box (transfer switch box). I haven't opened it up yet as the rig is currently in storage which might answer my question. Is this Transfer Box behind my electrical panel where I assume I will install? Sounds like I want to install after the Transfer Box for sure.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0LR/index.html Page 6

I believe this must be a generator transfer switch they are talking about...which the 29 RS should not have..
    Bradley & Glenna
    2016 29rs Reflection

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe this must be a generator transfer switch they are talking about...which the 29 RS should not have..
    That would be correct . . . you don't have a generator . . . so, no transfer switch/box.
    So, just four wires coming from the shore power connection to the panel.

What most do is to get new wires from the surge protector to the panel and not cut the original wiring . . . so that you can remove the surge protector at a later date, if you want to.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast