Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fifth Wheel or Goose Neck Hitch?

We are getting ready to buy either a Reflection 28 BH or 311 BHS. Would be interested in opinions of using either a fifth wheel hitch or a goose neck hitch. In talking with two different dealers, one is recommending fifth wheel and other gooseneck. The gooseneck appears easier to remove. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will find that the 5th wheel hitch (especially with a good one like a B&W Companion) makes connecting and disconnecting easy, especially in uneven/unlevel situations.

A gooseneck hitch is easier to install and remove, but positioning is much more critical.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree you will be better served with the fifth wheel hitch. We have the B&W Companion mentioned previously and it is a great hitch. It is a bit of a pain to remove from the truck but the advantages are many and to me it is worth it. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your valued experience.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In most cases, a gooseneck adapter will void the frame warranty on your RV. An exception with a Grand Design RV is the Reese GooseBox pin box to gooseneck adapter. This is primarily because Reese and Lippert (the company that makes the frames for GD RVs) are in bed together and have business and financial relationships. From an engineering point of view, a true gooseneck adapter is a really bad idea on a fifth wheel RV (search the various forums if you don't believe me). The design of a gooseneck adapter puts undue torsional forces on the pin box and front of the trailer frame which fifth wheel RVs are not designed to take.

In case there is any confusion, let me clarify something: the Andersen Ultimate hitch system which attaches to the truck via a turnover gooseneck ball IS NOT a gooseneck hitch. It is rather different but simply elevates a ball-and-socket connection to the level of the original king pin. This does not put the same forces on the pin box and trailer frame that a gooseneck adapter does. The Andersen is, however, a little harder to line up to hitch (as with a gooseneck adapter). Having towed all types of trailers I can tell you that there is not system easier to hitch and unhitch than a good fifth wheel hitch. If I were you, I would run as far away and as fast as I could from the dealer who is advising you to use a gooseneck adapter on a fifth wheel RV not built for it. If you are going to pull one of the larger reflections (such as the 337) with a 3/4 ton truck, you would do well to investigate the Andersen Ultimate as it will save you around 200 lbs. weight compared to a good, non-sliding conventional fifth wheel hitch.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with what best fits your goals. For me, I wanted to be able to remove the hitch when not in use, have a flat bed with no rails to hang stuff up. With that, I chose to go the B&W turnover ball as my connections platform. Since my TV is a 3/4 ton with a 6.6 bed... making contact if/when a tight turn was needed was a concern. The other goal for me was that I wanted to be able to remove the hitch by myself. I would have really liked the B&W Companion slider, but I don't have a hoist system to remove the unit (base 130#; coupler 75#), so looked a the Blue Ox Super Ride which comes apart into 3 pieces and slides back when needed, and also looked at the Andersen.

I chose the Andersen to pull my 28BH. Hitching is easy, but then I have never tried a true 5th hitch either. I put one of those magnetic ball on a stick things on the screw on the Andersen, and one on the pin box. Line them up in my rear-view mirror and when I knock the one off the Andersen I am on target - get it every time. No issue with the turns - plenty of clearance with cab. I am still playing a bit with the ball height, as middle position is a level ride but would like more bedside clearance for a potential off-camber situation. Going to tow with ball in high position tomorrow and see what it looks like. I may also try the B&W offset ball and reverse the ball cup (Cup behind pin) which several folks have done with their GM trucks for best clearances.

To each and their own, but if you don't need to frequently remove the hitch... then I'd take a hard look at the B&W hitches - seems to be well built and happy owners.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the 20k Goose Box from Reese hitch. Works great and tows nicely.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the 2017 311BHS I went with the B&W companion slider hitch. Making the connection is easy and it gives a very solid feeling when towing. Yes it is heavy, but my son has a 1ton foldable crane that lifts the hitch out of the truck and can set it down on the furniture dolly for easy moving. I have found out that some auto parts stores and Lowes/Home Depot have the foldable cranes to rent. I probably would not remove the hitch until the off season anyway and the truck was bought to tow the Jayco before the 311BHS. If you have to use the truck on a daily basis and leaving the hitch in would be a problem then I would strongly consider the Anderson with a set up like Brother_bluto
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the lighter and less costly B&W Patriot 16K hitch (on rails), and it does great on any of the larger Reflection fifth wheels. I can break it into two pieces in about 2 seconds, and either half is not to heavy to lift out of my truck on to a rolling furniture dolly.

I too like the Anderson hitch for light weight, however an adapter has to be mounted on the head of the hitch. With it installed, my storage lot/campground couldn't move my trailer around the storage lot. You'd have to remove the head unit for a dealer to do service on your trailer, as their trucks are not setup for an Anderson hitch.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30+ years pulling 5ers, I've had:
    - Reese 20k
    - B&W Companion
    - Anderson
    - Reese GooseBox

While the others are good options, I love the GooseBox, only have to install the ball, vs. hauling in and out plus the storage of the other hitches. Zero chucking and very good side to side tilt because of the ball plus it has an air ride. Harder to connect until you've done it a few times, but the advantages far out way this.

I agree and I would not use an adapter, however the design of the GooseBox is much different. While Reese and Lippert may be "in bed together" I fail to see why they would provide a warranty on a known issue. Is the increase in GooseBox sales worth the poor press and expense of dealing with frame issues if in fact that is true? Some would have you believe that these companies employ no engineers, only marketing people. Also, I did not see one credible case where there was a frame problem with the GooseBox. Most of those who pass on the in bed together and frame issue concerns on the internet have never seen, let alone used a GooseBox.

You will also find many opinions on the internet that say how bad and issue prone the Anderson is, also bunk. The Anderson is a great option as well. Change is hard for some. There are many on this site who have and love the GooseBox. To each his own.
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2016 Ram 2500 Limited 6.7 Turbo 4X4
    Reese Goose Box

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast