Thread: Amateur Radio

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tom,

A basic handheld transceiver for VHF/UHF can be had for under $50. A home/mobile unit, higher power, more features, would be $250-400. With handhelds on both ends, good for 2-3 miles or more. Repeaters are common, which extend the range to several dozen miles.

High frequency ("shortwave") radios, capable of voice, Morse, and data communications, start at a bit under $1K, with some very capable radios in the $1500-2500 range. With a decent antenna, they' can reach stations around the world.

The prices above are for New, in the box, units. There is also a very robust used market, and unlike cars, radios don't degrade in performance.

Dave KQ3T

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTom52 View Post
    So if I want to get in this game,
    How much money involved in a decent radio system? What kind of range can I expect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Here's the deal...if you like digging into different communication modes, experimenting and learning about electronics, etc then Amateur radio is for you. If you like helping in emergency situations and aiding your community, then Amateur radio is for you. If you enjoy a hobby where you will find a group in virtually every community you travel to around the world, then Amateur radio is for you. As with any hobby it can be as inexpensive, or cost as much, as you're willing to spend depending on what facets you enjoy.

You can buy a starter radio for around $100 and talk around the world. If you think you might be interested go to www.arrl.org or ask one of us for more info.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pat - N5JAJ, Texas
    I have not been active for several years....Looking forward to it in the future.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amateur Radio

Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    Here's the deal...if you like digging into different communication modes, experimenting and learning about electronics, etc then Amateur radio is for you. If you like helping in emergency situations and aiding your community, then Amateur radio is for you. If you enjoy a hobby where you will find a group in virtually every community you travel to around the world, then Amateur radio is for you. As with any hobby it can be as inexpensive, or cost as much, as you're willing to spend depending on what facets you enjoy.

You can buy a starter radio for around $100 and talk around the world. If you think you might be interested go to www.arrl.org or ask one of us for more info.

Alan
    Honestly I am 65 years old. I live in Central Florida. Been too busy all my life to really get into a hobby like amateur radio. But... and I hate to sound overly dramatic... But I don't have a good feeling about about the future when you factor in Weather, Isis and North Korea. I would like to have a home unit just in case communications and cell phones go down. And another one for my son's house with my grandkids about an hour away.
    I will do some research and maybe like someone said, find a good used medium
    priced unit.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I am 65 years old. I live in Central Florida. Been too busy all my life to really get into a hobby like amateur radio. But... and I hate to sound overly dramatic... But I don't have a good feeling about about the future when you factor in Weather, Isis and North Korea. I would like to have a home unit just in case communications and cell phones go down. And another one for my son's house with my grandkids about an hour away.
    priced unit.

Not a bad idea. I've been through 2 hurricanes and several tornados where cell service and power were lost, but I always had communications capability because of my rigs.

Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    W9DMI
    New Richmond, Wi
    somewhat inactive at the moment. I have HF mobile capable and VHF/UHF handhelds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Don and Donna
    "Spook" (1/2 Bichon, 1/2 American Eskimo)
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    2012 RAM 2500 HD Laramie 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 6 spd 4X4 S/B Crew Cab
    PullRite SuperGlide 16K
    Mopeka Bluetooth LPG Remote Tank Monitors
    TireMinder TPMS
    Performance Trailer Braking Titan Disc Brake Upgrade

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    priced unit.

I live in Southern California(don't hold it against me), I have owned and operated 8 repeaters where you could sit in San Diego and talk to someone in Bakersfield with a 5 watt handheld, or be sipping a cold one on the beach and talk to someone in Palm Springs. Back in it's hay day, a Ham Ticket was the thing to have.... now Cell phones have replaced that and the Hobby took a big hit in members.
    All of my repeaters had battery backup and Auto Start Generators with enough fuel to run for 3 weeks, all of the hilltop sites we were in, is Law Enforcement of some type, our Malibu site was connected to LA County Sheriff Dept. our Frazier Mountain site was every State Law Enforcement hub, from FBI, DEA, SS, CHP and such, so no matter what catastrophe we had, those sites had power and on the air!
    This is mostly true across the USA with other HAM repeaters, most are connected to or share a site with the Local Law Enforcement.

All of vehicles and the 5th wheel have a Dual Band 2 meter and 440 radio, these radios also receive and transmit (wink wink) in the 150mhz and 460 mhz. 462.675 with a plus offset is a very good frequency to monitor and support, tho you will need a GMRS Family license, but unlike a HAM license, one license covers the whole family... those licenses are up to $65 for 5 years. Here in LA 462.675 is a REACT monitor so in case of an emergency you can get some help!

Using HAM bands is a great way to meet and converse with others, and with VOIP a lot of repeater sites, have interconnect system thru the internet, where you can talk to anyone in the world... One night coming home from work I talked to a gentleman in Australia as he was going to work with a 5 watt handheld!
    When driving I monitor 146.520 simplex(USA Call channel) and then also 462.675 and or scan the FRS/GMRS very fun to listen to car or RV caravans. 146.520 can reach depending on conditions from 20 miles to hundred without the use of repeater, a good mobile with a good mobile antenna can produce 50 watts! You say your kids are an hour away, so maybe 45 to 50 miles as a crow flies, then a good base station setup on 146.520 you could talk to them directly!

My so-called friends, would make fun of me, calle me a geek... guess who was hunting me down to use my radio equipment to contact their love ones when we had the big Earthquake? YEP not so much a Geek now!! How you like me NOW???

I have met some of nicest people thru the radio, once traveling up I-5 I passed a 5th wheel rv on the side of the road... didn't know he was broken down... he saw the antennas on my pickup and called out to me... he was broken down he asked if I had a 5th wheel hitch and if I could pull his 5th wheel off the Interstate.... I whipped my truck around went back and pulled him and his wife to the next exit where it would be safe while they limped the truck to the shop!!
    Just never know if you can help someone or you will need that little help!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345