User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are you all hauling your 3000 watt generator?

With my TT, the generator was lifted into the back of the pickup and strapped down. With the Pull-Rite hitch, getting the genny back there isn't an option I'd like to entertain. Lifting it into the bed was bad enough, I don't want to wrestle it over the hitch as well.
    At roughly 155 pounds full of fuel, I'm concerned about it riding on a hitch mounted cargo tray on the back of the fifthwheel. Am I worrying about nothing? I know the cargo trays are rated for up to 500# and the hitch for 300#. The only thing that's going in the tray would be the generator and a few gallons of extra fuel.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had such a generator, it'd be exactly like you're talking--on a rack mounted on the rear of my fifth wheel. But I'd probably have two 2" receiver hitches professionally installed by a good welding shop due to the inherent weak frames on most RV's.

In my early retirement, I'm good for loading and unloading 100 lb. items into my truck bed. But I'm starting to scale back on heavy lifting Even getting such a heavy item out of a truck bed on a ramp is more than I want to tackle. That's why I'd mount a generator on the rear--with a really good lock for security. People lose generators very often to theft.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Champion Generator I carry is powered by gas or propane. It weighs 90 pounds with no gas, never actually put any gas in it. I keep mine in the basement strapped down. I do need some help guiding it in, but after that its pretty easy. Getting it down is not too hard.

Gerry M

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the Powerhouse 3100 inverter. Its a great generator, and Honda quiet, but its also Honda heavy.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought the Champion 3100 for a long trip we have planned and my plan is to carry it in the bed of the truck up by the cab. Our 337 has a receiver on the back but I'm already long enough as it is and not crazy about the idea of it bouncing around constantly on the back of the trailer. It weighs approx. 100lbs and it's a long lift up to the tailgate of my F350 so I bought one of those deer hunter lifts (it's called a Rack Jack) that can hoist up to 300 lbs and then swivel it into the bed of the truck. We had a larger generator before but never traveled with it. We don't dry camp and I'm only taking the new smaller one as a "just in case" for our multi week trip. I thought about stowing it in the trailer basement but I would have to lift it in and out by myself and even 100lbs is tough to handle up and over into storage. I hope to haul it all the way from Memphis to Seattle and back without having to use it.
    2017 F350 Platinum DRW Diesel
    2017 337RLS
    B&W Companion Hitch
    Memphis, TN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw on another site where a gentleman was using a deer hoist to load & unload his generator in the back of his truck. Interesting idea, might have to give this a try.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=desktop
    Ron
    2016 Reflection 317RST
    2012 Ram 3500, SRW, CC, LB 4x4 6.7 Cummins
    Katy, Texas

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to lug a 3000W generator in and out of my truck bed when I had my old TT, but I got tired of throwing my back out of whack. I now have two 2000W units that are very easy to lift and move around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here as Scott E, we have two Honda 2000's. Easy to move, small and super quiet! Most of the time we only need one to run everything as we mostly dry camp where it's a little cooler...usually!!
    Johnny & Leigh
    2015 RAM 2500 CTD
    2017 GD Imagine 2950RL
    "What if the HOKEY POKEY "IS" what it's all about?"
    "An honest government has no fear of an armed population".

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I had the Honda 3000IS and the 337FW, I placed it in the truck bed on the passenger side right next to the cab. I left enough space that I could reach over and plug in the cord if needed. To get it up there, I mounted a 880# hoist in the ceiling of my garage to lift it. The hoist would give me enough clearance to get the generator higher than the hitch so I could back the truck under it. I purchased the hoist from Cabelas for $159. It worked great.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...search%3Dhoist

Now I have two Champion 2000W generators and a parallel kit. It's much easier to lift the Champions than the old Honda.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 63 years old and got tired of lifting my 2 2000 watt Honda generators. Opted to put an Onan 5500 generator in my front bay. Love it, I just push a button and I have electricity.
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

2016 Grand Design Solitude 321 RL #5754
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]