User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Now A Legally Licensed Driver

Bought my Solitude 2016 in February 2016. Never did the dealer say anything about increased license requirements (probably didn't want to kill a sale). Been driving the rig and enjoying it. Last summer, while on our 3500 mile western US tour, I read on Facebook about a need for a license, due to the size of the rig.

California requires additional license based on the GVW of your rig. For rigs 10,001 to 15,000 GVW you need to have the Class A Non-Commercial Recreational Vehicle endorsement (DMV called it a Restriction 41). I had looked and the 2016 Solitude 321 was 15,000 GVW--- YEAH. I looked online and studied the practice questions. For this category you DO NOT need to get a medical exam or take a driving test. When I went to DMV, the first thing the clerk did was hand me a medical exam form for my doctor to certify. I politely explained that I did not need to have the exam or driving test. I had downloaded the appropriate handbook and had it with me. The clerk had to get out 'cheater forms and notes' to make sure the forms were filled out properly and the entries in the computer were correct, so the license would go through. The clerk stated they have very few of these that they have to process. I showed the clerk the requirements for the endorsement. I took the test and passed, with flying colors.

During the process, they asked 4 times what the GVW of my rig. Additionally, I had to sign a statement that the endorsement allowed me to drive vehicles with a 10,001 to 15,000 GVW rig. The clerk explained that in the past, people came back and were upset as they had a 15,001+ GVW rig and DMV allowed them to get the wrong endorsement.

Rigs that are over 15,000 GVW require that the driver go through the same process I went through and the additional requirements of the medical exam and a driving test. I fear the driving test, as they make you back the rig into a parking spot. I have not mastered that technique enough to be tested.

Well long story... I am now legal to drive, after 16 months of ownership and operation of the vehicle. If not properly licensed, the CHP could tie up my rig until I got a licensed driver to move it.
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

2016 Grand Design Solitude 321 RL #5754
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dale is right on. I had the exactly same situation and DMV due to the fact that apparently most of the staff rarely issues a "Restriction 41". They had to look it up, call a supervisor, look it up again. I brought my own internet printout to show them what I needed. It's the best kept secret at least in lovely Ca. When all said and done, short written test, no medical, no driving skills test, I think they waived the eye test and on top, it was free. The staff apparently did not like the idea that it was free. They took a new photo, issued a new DL. Gotta love Ca. At least I am legal.

There is a previous thread here about 6 months ago about driver in Santa Barbara / Pismo Beach region that got pulled over for something else, checked license and he was driving out of class. They were going to have to park the rig, but his associate had a Class A.

So if you want to be legal, do it, it's easy but bring your printouts with you. It took maybe, 30 minutes tops as I walked in with no appt. on a rainy day. The staff even told me that most people just drive "out of class" and don't worry about it. The flip side, and there is always a flip side, what about when you are in an accident, and they determine that since you are out of class, you are likely at least, partly to blame, due to your inexperience? I know this is gloomy but absolutely possible.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dale. Everything you said is correct except for one exception. California no longer requires you to have a medical exam if you are only pulling an RV. It's still required if you're pulling big-rigs or driving commercially. I renewed mine 2 years ago and all you have to do is go down to DMV and get the form (I found it hanging on the wall), fill it out and send it in. Many Doctors, mine included, are refusing to do DMV physicals now because of all the extra paperwork involved.
    John & Carol Souza
    Happily Retired and currently living in Cottonwood, Northern California
    2015 Solitude 368RD
    2010 RAM 3500 DIESEL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajohnsouza View Post
    Hi Dale. Everything you said is correct except for one exception. California no longer requires you to have a medical exam if you are only pulling an RV. It's still required if you're pulling big-rigs or driving commercially. I renewed mine 2 years ago and all you have to do is go down to DMV and get the form (I found it hanging on the wall), fill it out and send it in. Many Doctors, mine included, are refusing to do DMV physicals now because of all the extra paperwork involved.

They showed me the reg that stated if you are a 15001+ GVW you need a medical exam. That is why they first gave it to me to take to my doctor. That is why I needed the CA DMV Recreational Vehicle Handbook. Gold Country Livin, you are right. Most employees don't know the regs as it came in about 2014 and they don't deal with it that often.

I heard of one individual who pulled into a CHP Scales and wanted a free weigh. In the course of business, they asked for his license, saw it did not have the Restriction 41, and tied up his rig until he got a licensed driver.
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You gotta love living in Washington State with no requirements.PITA
    Arnold Warnes
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
    2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again Dale. My Solitude has a GVW of 16,000 and before that I had a Cardinal with the same GVW. Six years ago I got my Class A, Non-Commercial drivers license after passing the driving test and supplying DMV with a medical exam. Two years later I got a letter from DMV that my 2 year medical exam form on file had to be renewed and that was when I learned that DMV had changed it's rules on RV's. I went down to the local DMV office and picked up their form DL 546, filled it out and didn't hear from them until two years ago when my drivers license came up for automatic renewal. Again they sent me a form and a fee request to renew my license along with a note that I must renew the medical form. Again I sent them my renewal fee and with the DL 546 and they sent me my new license. The form is very simple to fill out with some basic health questions and a place for your Doctor to sign along with the date of your last visit. I dropped the form off one day and picked it up the next without ever seeing the Doctor. You can do a google-search for the form and download it. Also, if you google 'California Commercial Driver Handbook' there is a page (1-5) describing weight limits. John P.S. I just re-read the form and don't feel now that the Doctor even has to sign it.
    Last edited by ajohnsouza; 06-24-2017 at 01:30 PM. Reason: omitted sentence
    John & Carol Souza
    2015 Solitude 368RD
    2010 RAM 3500 DIESEL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way regarding the individual that pulled into the CHP scales to be weighed and got tied up because he was driving out of classification. A friend of mine on the CHP was working nights when a motorist flagged him down. It seems the man's employer felt he had too much to drink and sent him home. The motorist asked my friend to give him a standard balance test just to prove that the boss was wrong. He failed the test and you can imagine what came next.........
    John & Carol Souza
    2015 Solitude 368RD
    2010 RAM 3500 DIESEL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more regulations that Legislators create (and the unelected administrative law judges that do the same thing) the harder it is for the people that have to deal with them - both the government workers that enforce/monitor them, and the people that live under them.

I just had to get a "safety inspection" to change our ATV from being registered as an Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) to being a "Street Legal ATV". Between talking to the DMV and the people that do the safety inspections, it was a real process getting it done. I ended up taking off from work an hour and a half early to get the process completed yesterday (not including phone calls earlier in the last two weeks).
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether it is a special driver license for an RV or converting ATV license types while frustrating, we need to remember our volume is like a bb rattling around in a boxcar.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep at 15,001 GVW you need a medical form.
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast