User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to stop Ants getting into the RV

Hi Forum

We are planing our trip down south with visits to New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville and KY and the Bourbon Trail, working my way round the RV sites ( I use RV reviews
    http://www.rvparkreviews.com/ ) to find a good site and a lot of the sites say they had a big problem with Ants getting in to the RV!
    I have had this once and it was hard to get rid of them, they head for the food larder. Can I ask the forum if they have any way of stopping them from getting in, they must get up the supports or water pipe.
    Tony
    Tony & Hilary Self
    2014 Momentum 385TH #290
    2015 Ford F450 with B&W Companion ,Transfer Flow 57 G Midship and 40 G Toolbox tanks
    Extra load springs

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: How to stop Ants getting into the RV

We use Comet. Ants will not cross a line of comet.

Just sprinkle all around the camper!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to stop Ants getting into the RV

Here's another tip:
    Put vaseline on all the cables, cords, and hoses that lead into the camper, that will keep them out.

Around the jacks, we use Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth. I'm often concerned when camping in state/national parks and using pesticides such as Raid or Home Defense. Make sure to check out the rules on using chemicals. However Diatomaceous Earth is a natural organic pest control measure.
    **If you'd like to try a really safe, non-toxic to human or animals treatment, Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is worth a shot. We use this both around the house and RV. As I understand it, the powder dries out their exoskeletons and thus kills them. Can find this product at Lowe's.
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've purchase DE at Menards and use it for Bee Hives as well.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I tried DE last Summer for the ants [emoji220] when we were camping in Oregon and they just turned white. Next day they were still there.
    Now I carry around a jug of Home Defense I got at Ace. It has a battery powered wand and works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use Drionne dust at home and, now, will use it around the RV. It's great for getting into crevices and such that you cannot see with the naked eye. The last time we camped, there were ants all over the campsite. Had no idea they were in our unit. We parked it in storage with a plan to visit the next day to clean it. We returned to find them crawling around; most were in sinks, shower, etc. so we thought they may be looking water? We made a trip home to get the dust. We puffed it in all drains, around the slide seal, front door area, and on the ground around the outside of the unit. Left and came back a couple days later and cleaned up what looked like hundreds of the dead right in front of the entrance door. Have not seen one since.

FYI - it works well on bees, too. We use it when we find carpenter bee holes in our log home and it has kept their damage down to a minimum.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonide Ant Killer Dust https://www.bonide.com/products/reve...nt-killer-dust. Stuff is awesome!

Then is case a few do get in the camper, get some Terro ant killer "things." They're little plastic containers with a clear liquid in them, you tear off one end, the ants go in, get the poison and presumable tip over on the way back to the ant house.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Sevin dust. Sprinkle around/on anything that touches the ground on the trailer. Including water hose and electrical cord. Have yet to have a single ant problem.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terro works well on getting rid of the entire nest.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of different ant poisons available. Talking to a local hardware store person is a good thing because there are different ants in different parts of the us. I like sevin dust and I buy fire ant killer when in the south.

Here's a fun one, ants like trees, trees touch roofs, this becomes a natural bridge for ants to find their way into your RV. I carry a trimming saw, most of the time a tree branch is touching the rv it's a little one because the rv park has neglected trimming for a few dozen years or so. I do not allow a tree to touch my RV anywhere while parked. I have had ants.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast