User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitches

Kelton

Hitches

Hello All,
    We’re new to the forum and although we haven’t ordered our 337RLS yet, we will soon. We recently sold our Foretravel Grand Villa diesel pusher motor home to convert to the 5er lifestyle. After months of research and confusion with floor plans we’ve finally decided that the Reflection 337RLS is the right coach for us. Since this is a new adventure for us, we have lots of questions so I thought I’d go ahead and jump in here to get comments and input from actual owners.

We have a 2008 F250 Crew Cab 4x4, 6.4L turbo diesel with 6’8” bed and a B&W turnover ball hitch.

The dealer recommends a B&W Companion slider hitch. The Companion hitch makes sense but I hate the idea of a slider hitch that has to be unlocked if you happen to notice that the turn you are making is too tight. I spoke with the folks at Grand Design and they say that the factory installed extended pin box will provide a 77deg turning radius and that the installation of a Sidewinder pin box would void the frame warranty.

Questions:
    1. Does anyone have experience with my current setup? Is the slider hitch really needed or will the factory Lippert extended pin box and front cap design allow enough clearance to make 90deg turns?
    2. If I have to install a slider hitch with the 337RLS and my truck, is there an automatic slider hitch that can be installed in lieu of the B&W turnover ball Companion option?
    3. Does the Trailair pin box make a big difference in ride quality and worth the money?

Not really a hitch question, but I’d like to add a cargo box/rack to the back of the coach for a remote start Champion generator for boondocking, about 250#. The back bumper looks a little wimpy and Grand Design says it’s rated for 150#. I’d better not stand on it or I guess I’d bust my buttocks. It just makes sense to me to install a generator outside the coach near the electrical plug input.

Questions:
    1. Has anyone mounted a cargo box/rack and/or generator to the back bumper? Comments and concerns.
    2. Has anyone added additional bracing to the frame to support additional weight to support a generator/cargo box on the rear of the coach?
    3. Any thoughts re: generators and placement?

We’re very excited about getting into the 5er lifestyle and any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Hitches

Don't add that to the bumper for sure. I installed a RV hitch on mine bolted to the frame, to haul bikes, and a cargo carrier. I have a Reese Signature Series Slider in my truck, love that hitch ( same as the Elite installed factory from Ford). These front caps do allow for good turning even with standard beds, I owned B&W products in the past, very good stuff too.
    Steve and Schlonda- Virgie, Kentucky
    2017 Momentum 328M
    Morryde 8K Independent Suspension, Disk Brakes
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    Airlift Wireless Air
    B&W Companion Slider

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made my own bumper. 6"x6"x1/4" box steel.
    Welded to frame with 2"x4"x1/4"x18" steel tube.
    A lot easier to put sanitary hose and adapters in.
    Used 2" receiver for cargo carrier or bike rack.
    Hitch plate with ball pulled 10'x5' trailer.
    Retrofitted my last 2 5th wheels with this setup.
    Caution... I'm sure this will void some kind of warranty.

Kelton

Hello Glazier,
    Thanks so much for the input. I kinda figured the bumper wouldn't support anything. I think I'll need at least 2 points of connection to balance the weight vs. a center mounted hitch. Thanks for the Reese hitch recommendation.

Kelton

Hello Shamu,
    Thanks so much for the reply. Your setup is pretty awesome. I was thinking about that type of setup, welding supports to the frame with a bigger bumper that would support the weight and contain sanitary hoses. In that scenario I could weld three receivers to the bumper to allow the use of a trailer and/or generator/cargo box to be removed if necessary while balancing the weight. Thanks for the pictures and the idea. I certainly don't want to void the structural warranty but I need the coach to be functional and I can't see how adding 250# to the rear end of the coach would affect the structural integrity or towing characteristics. Does your setup affect the tongue weight and driving feel of the coach?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are certainly welcome. The hitch I used was the Curt Rv bolt on receiver hitch. I can use any type of 2" Bike carrier, or platform cargo carrier, with this setup.
    Steve and Schlonda- Virgie, Kentucky
    2017 Momentum 328M
    Morryde 8K Independent Suspension, Disk Brakes
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    Airlift Wireless Air
    B&W Companion Slider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

concerning the sliding hitch question - I likewise did not want to have to get out of the truck in a tight maneuver. My first fifth wheel several years ago was pulled with a long bed truck, which was probably the best option. Later I had a standard bed Chevy with a Reese slider. I needed it a couple of times and it was a real pain to have to go thru the steps. Then I had travel trailers for some years. Grand Design 5ers was part of the reason I came back to fifth wheels. When I did, I decided I would get a Pullrite Superglide. I haven't put a lot of miles on the outfit yet but, so far, have been extremely pleased. They can be pricey but if you shop around there are good deals to be had. Mine cost only a little more than a new standard Reese slider. You can also now get one mounted on standard rails which reduces the price quite a bit. I leave mine in the truck bed all the time and have a sliding tonneau cover for protection and security. I'm too old to be pulling a hitch and replacing it two to three times a month. So far, it's been well worth the expense.
    Floyd - Lake Tenkiller, OK (and occasionally Okla City)
    2014 Reflection 303RLS #9
    2020 Transend Xplor 221RB
    2016 F150 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/HDPP and MaxTow

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does not feel any different.
    You must always be watching about 5 steps ahead, because it is impossible to back up.

Kelton

Hello LBnM,
    Thanks a lot for the hitch recommendation. The Pullrite Superglide looks like an answer to my concerns. Appreciate the info!!

cuttinchief

Thanks Shamu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast