Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joy Rider Shocks on 397

In checking for clearance in order to install the Joy Rider Shock System on my 397th I discovered a potential conflict with the rear black tank plumbing.
    Has anyone installed the system on a 397?
    If so what issues did you have with the plumbing near the third axle.
    Appreciate any help offered.
    Patrick & Sherry
    2018 Momentum 397th
    2018 Chevy Diesel Dually 4x4
    2015 Street Glide / 2017 Road Glide / 2017 BMW 800 GSA

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following up on my earlier post.
    I spoke with Sonny, I believe, when I called the number for Joy Rider Shock System today.
    He was familiar with my trailer and informed me that several others have done what I was considering, which is to modify the plumbing to allow room for the shock.
    He was very informative about his products and held some great insight into the suspensions of our fifth wheelers.
    Great gentleman to talk with.
    Patrick & Sherry
    2018 Momentum 397th

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just looked at some of their on-line material. I have a couple of questions you might be able to answer.

1. The installation instructions state to reuse the existing axle U-bolts. I've always been under the impression that you should never reuse a U-Bolt once it's been removed. The threads on U-bolts are rolled, not cut. Rolled threads are distorted when torqued. That distortion will not allow the nuts to retain torque once the U-bolts are loosened and then torqued again. Now since an additional plate is being installed in the Joy Rider system, the nut may be hitting new threads on the U-bolt and the point is nullified. I'd certainly consider using new U-bolts in the installation or at least applying a liberal amount of red Loctite before torqueing the nuts upon reassembly. What are your thoughts?

2. I assume you have the EquaFlex equalizer. Is the Joy Rider system compatible with the EquaFlex?

Jim

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    While I wont argue the make up of the U bolts and the protocol on their reuse I will say that I've reused others and would not be hesitant to continue that practice.
    I make that statement knowing that I am the type of guy, and verified by some close friends, that is mental enough to keep an eye on them in my regular inspections of the trailer and its components.

On your second question, yes I do have the EguaFlex and according to the guy I spoke with it is compatible.

We spoke about a couple other interesting items.
    One was his statement that everyone should check their axles for correct alignment before doing any Mods. to the suspension. Of course, point being to correct alignment if it's off by more than 1/4 inch.
    Another part of our conversation was about their Liberty Rider suspension upgrade.
    He spoke quite highly of it.
    In looking at the system on their web page it appears to me that if one was interested in installing it some off the hard work on installing their Joy Rider Shock System would be eliminated as the bracket requiring drilling holes in the frame rail is no longer used.
    Anyway, as I've seen stated on this site by someone before " looks like another wallet opening".
    If I keep making upgrades I'm going to start to wonder if I just should have ponyed up for a New Horizon or Space Craft, or some other custom built toyhauler and already have these things.

The gentleman also mentioned that disc brakes should be on my mind.
    Geez, all I wanted was an inexpensive trailer to hall our bikes in with our own bed and shower!!!!!!!
    Patrick & Sherry
    2018 Momentum 397th