User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Kelton

Leveling with Intellijacks

Hello All,
    We’re new to the forum and although we haven’t ordered our 337RLS yet, we will soon. We recently sold our Foretravel Grand Villa diesel pusher motor home to convert to the 5er lifestyle. After months of research and confusion with floor plans we’ve finally decided that the Reflection 337RLS is the right coach for us. Since this is a new adventure for us, we have lots of questions so I thought I’d go ahead and jump in here to get comments and input from actual owners.

We have a 2008 F250 Crew Cab 4x4, 6.4L turbo diesel with 6’8” bed and a B&W turnover ball hitch.

Since we owned a motor home with automatic air leveling we really wanted a fifth wheel with automatic leveling but the Grand Design Reflection does not include that option. From what I’ve read and seen, the 337RLS has a 4 point landing gear system as opposed to a front landing gear and rear stabilizer system. My primary objective is to be able to level the coach and easily remove and attach the coach from/to the truck. I have a few questions re: leveling;

1. I’ve researched after market leveling systems, they are pretty expensive. The Intellijacks or LevelEase systems appear to do a good job of leveling front to rear but not side to side. Any thoughts?
    2. Are most RV parks fairly level from side to side thereby eliminating the need to carry blocks or wood to level side to side? If so, the Intellijacks front to rear leveling system would be an inexpensive solution to my leveling objectives.
    3. Are the landing gear motors on the 337RLS strong enough to lift the trailer off the ground?

Thanks so much for your thoughts!!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Leveling with Intellijacks

The Intellijacks only control the front landing gear to extend them to the proper height to hitch/unhitch and to level the camper front to back. The cost isn't high for the system but the benefits are limited.

Unless you install a 6pt full leveling system with it's large cost, you'll have to level the camper side to side with boards or lego blocks. I've found that for most situations, that requires 1 block or board high, occasionally 2 to achieve side to side level. For me it's been rare to not require some leveling side to side.

The rear gear, though similar in design to the front landing gear are only meant to stabilize...contact then load them a bit. They're not designed to lift the camper. The location of the rear gear on the 337 is very advantageous as they take out any suspension travel when they're loaded...I used to place a jack stand on each side of our old camper to achieve that.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Kelton

Re: Leveling with Intellijacks

Dave, thanks a bunch for the input