User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide Out Motor Repair

We had just returned from Oregon yesterday and had an issue with the kitchen slide. It extended all of the way however made a grinding sound followed by the motor free spinning. The good news is that we just got home and it was only 83 degrees.

We have an extended warranty with a $100 deductible that would cover this repair. It only took a brief moment of dealer service thoughts before I said nope. After a few minutes I located the slide motor (underneath the stairs behind the zipper) and found that the 2 bolts that attach the motor to the housing had backed off and the motor gear had damaged the nylon gear. New parts were needed.

I began my search here and found a post (cant find it again) where their old trailer needed a slide motor replaced and that the manufacturer was significantly lower than other sources. In the Reflection model the vendor is Venture Manufacturing http://www.venturemfgco.com/right-an...ive-gearboxes/ . I called the manufacturer, provided the serial number, placed the order for the replacement gears for $55 plus shipping with the item shipping 2 hours later.

The motor is removed with 2 screws, the gear housing 2 bolts and the gear cover plate 4 screws, its easy to get to. I will have it back together this weekend and ready for the following.

Where I was the most amazed was the ease for which the slide was brought in the with the manual crank, I have seen others ask how to however never seen where they came back and reported their success. If I have used a speed handle and a 3/4 socket I could have brought it in with one finger. I expected it to be a miserable grind and found it a breeze.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8649.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	8870

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8650.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	8871

Oregon was terrific, LaPine State Park, Sisters/Bend RV Park and Silver Falls State Park were all three a great place to stay. I place Sisters/Bend RV resort is one of the nicer places we have been.
    The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Chuck
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    Elk Grove, Ca

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psotab2qdx.jpg

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chuck,

This is great information . . . thanks for posting!
    Can you tell me more about the "zipper access" . . . is this something you put in?
    I would really like to have a way to get inside the coroplast in critical areas without dropping the whole thing.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob,

It came with the trailer and only 1? A few more would have been better. It looks like the zipper is adhered to the coroplast and then they unzipped and cut the opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS
    Elk Grove, Ca

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any idea who the manufacturer would be ? That looks like the best way to gain access without dropping the entire sheet.
    Quote Originally Posted by CManley View Post

Rob,

It came with the trailer and only 1? A few more would have been better. It looks like the zipper is adhered to the coroplast and then they unzipped and cut the opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had about the same problem when we were leaving Florida. Motor spun out just as the kitchen slide was fully retracted. Really didn't have time to diagnose the problem then and there. Being that we were still under GD warranty, I called the GD dealer in Ocala which was on our way. We were told to be there by 1 o'clock and they would take a look. Found out one of the bolts holding the motor to gearcase had sheared off. After calling GD and describing the problem, we were told that we would need a new motor & gearcase. Dealer was told to source the parts locally and we would have to stay the night. They set us up on the end of their service bay and extended the slide with a 12 volt drill/driver. Nothing too it. Another thing, there was no zippered access to the motor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see you had a quick resolution. The bolts (really screws) are light weight, with your input I will see if I can source in grade 8. I am not really sure why the zippered access happens to be in the location its in, there are a few more important areas.

Chuck
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS
    Elk Grove, Ca