User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold Double Door Noise and Freezer Temp

The double door Norcold in our 2017 337 is a bit noisy. Discovered the noise is coming from 2 muffin fans at the top of the unit (can be seen via the external top access panel). When that side of the fiver is to the sun, these fans run forever! They do cycle off when the ambient temperature drops.

Also the refrigerator section is cool enough at a setting of 6 but the freezer section could be colder.

Are these two items typical of this Norcold model? Any solution for increasing the freezer temp independent of the refrigerator temp?

/ed
    Current;
    2017 Reflection 337LRS 5th with 2016 Silverado LTX 3500HD Duramax
    2019 Reflection 367BHS 5th permanent in RV park

Past;
    30' TH TT Weekend Warrior, 36' TH 5th Weekend Warrior (both with Ford F250 diesel)
    26' TT Shadow Cruiser, 30' TT Cougar (both with Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our experience, yes - but we don't find the fans to be all that noisy. Only notice that they were there when they spin down as they cycle off. It's a delicate balance between keeping things frozen in the freezer compartments and not freezing eggs or lettuce in the frig, too. These are not the residential fridges we got used to in the stix 'n brix...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't even know the fans were there until I was standing outside by the vents and heard them come on. Standing a few feet further away and I couldn't hear them. Haven't noticed them when inside at all.

I agree with Rob that finding the sweet spot for the temp setting can be tricky. On our first three trips I had the setting at 8. Fridge was about 35-36 and freezer was about 10. This was running on AC. On our last trip, we had frozen grapes in the bottom drawer and sodas turned to slush when opened. Dropped the setting to 6 and seemed to be good for rest of the trip (at least the ice cubes didn't melt). This was with outside temps ranging from high of 80 in daytime and lows in upper 40s at night.

Blair
    Barb and Blair, retired and loving it
    2017 F250 Lariat Super Cab, Short bed, 4x4, diesel, Tow Technology Bundle, Pullrite 16K Autoslide
    2017 Reflection 307MKS, 3/17 Build
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. It isn't overly loud but noticeable. Knowing it's normal is a relief versus the other options...

At a setting of 6, water can start to freeze on the top shelf. We keep things like ice cream and popsicles on the bottom of the freezer otherwise they are soft...
    Current;

Past;
    30' TH TT Weekend Warrior, 36' TH 5th Weekend Warrior (both with Ford F250 diesel)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2nd weekend in our new 2016 375RE and can't get the fridge cold and fan never shuts off. It's the 18cu double door. Tried it on gas and electric and temp set on 9. Ice cream is barely frozen and fridge not cooling.
    Any thoughts??

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck ever getting ice cream frozen. Soft serve is about as good as it gets. The bottom of the left freezer section is the coldest. The middle shelf in the fridge will freeze fruits/vegetables. After 3 years full-timing we got it pretty close where it works fine for us. Our normal setting on AC is 6 with temps in the 80's or below.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I can't even get cold water in the fridge. The fins never frost over and there is constant water dripping from outside drain. I actually had to put in a longer drip hose because it keeps over flowing the cup on the back panel so now the hose sticks out the panel and drips water down the side of the trailer.
    This can't be normal. I do have ice cream on the bottom left of freezer and it's all but soup. Had to put milk in a cooler with ice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been in mid 90s at 6 with refrig cold and freezer ok except ice cream bar - soft. Currently mid 80 highs and mid 50 lows. Still set at 6 but noticed ice cream bar was hard this morning - not soft as usual.

Fan noise continues as before.

/ed
    Current;

Past;

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water dripping would be normal if you're in a high humidity area OR are generating humidity INSIDE the fridge. Before we got our icemaker, we used to use ice trays in the freezer which resulted in more condensation run off. As an aside. have you checked to make sure the condensate tray INSIDE the fridge is not full of ice?

One thing you can try that a mobile RV tech had me do prior to paying him to come out is to open the lower outside cover and with the handle of a screwdriver, tap along the ammonia lines. Not beating it to death, just solid taps. It apparently the system can build up ammonia crystals that block the lines. Then run the fridge for 24 hours on LP (they're more efficient on LP). It worked for me almost 2 years ago and is now a part of my routine quarterly maintenance.
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I would have to say my fridge has a problem. Going to try defrosting it and starting over. After being on for only 3 weeks freezer is completely frosted with about an inch of ice on the back wall.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast