User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is an "average" setting on GMC brake controller- new disc brake question

Here is my question. I just had new titan disc brakes electric/hydraulic placed last Friday. Iwas able to pull some this weekend what I noticed is that the trailer brake voltage indicator on the dash did not seem to go as high when I push on the brakes. When I used the manual slider on the brake controller, i could get the brakes to go to full voltage. Another thing I noticed was at a complete stop my original factory trailer brakes would show the indicator up all the way however with the new brakes the indicator only got up about half way when stopping but then the indicator would completely drop away to nothing after I have stopped. Previous factory brakes would show full voltage at a complete stop with the brake pedal depressed. If anyone has any experience with the GMC truck and Titan electric hydraulic brakes I would be curious to know what your settings are and if this is normal? My current setting is s 7...old setting on factory brakes was a 6.5.
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R
    Titan electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    Morryde CRE 3000, xmembers x3, WBs,4k springs
    2017 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali SRW Airlift bags with wireless control
    Pullrite 2900 autoslide hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I have a 2016 3500 Denali and Titan discs on the trailer and I think I have my controller set at 7 also. I don't really care what the setting is as long as the brakes are working the way I want them too. Discs, unlike drum, will not require continual adjustment so if it's 5, fine, if it's 10, fine as well.

As far as the voltage dropping when stopped or a difference in the voltage depending on whether you are pressing the pedal or using the manual slide, I just don't know. I would have to check the next time I tow but I do not recall noticing either of those and I've towed nearly 9,000 miles with this new truck.

I guess I would suggest stopping on a hill and use the manual slide to activate the trailer brakes and note the voltage then, while holding the slide, release the foot brake. If the trailer holds the rig at a full stop, mine does, you are fine. Also note what the voltage reads on the dash. Did it remain up or did it drop off as you are experiencing?

I'll be eager to see what my truck does when I hook up next because I'm sure I have checked all those things but it didn't register as anything I didn't expect or wasn't comfortable with.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the older duramax without the factory brake control. I am set at 2.9 and see that the controller increases voltage based on demand, if I get into the brakes it will jump as high as 4.5. When I need to check up fast it happens without a change in shorts. Best money spent thus far.
    The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Chuck
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    Elk Grove, Ca

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psotab2qdx.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They changed the brake controller sometime in 2015 to have a H/E setting so you don't need the load resistor. May make a difference. I have the older controller on 2015 Silverado 3500 with the Titan disc brakes and I keep it at 5.5 or 6. I tend to back off a little on the peddle when I'm near stopped, so the voltage does go down a bit.
    Keith Regli
    2016 Momentum 388m
    2015 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kregli View Post
    They changed the brake controller sometime in 2015 to have a H/E setting so you don't need the load resistor. May make a difference. I have the older controller on 2015 Silverado 3500 with the Titan disc brakes and I keep it at 5.5 or 6. I tend to back off a little on the peddle when I'm near stopped, so the voltage does go down a bit.
    Keith, I have not been able to find anything about this anywhere including the Duramax Forum. Maybe I am searching under the wrong words but do you have anything more on this or know where it can be found? I find nothing in my manual about this and I don't remember seeing anything on my DIC about it. I guess I want to know if it's a manual, selectable setting or is it automatically detected or what.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,

Since I have the old style I didn't look further. I learned about it when I was ordering my install kit. It shows the load module (I think it's just a big resistor) as it is installed in the EHB wiring diagram (Titan controller install manual). I was told by the brake guy that they changed the controller at some point. I was told that I'd see it in the DIC if I had the new controller (they could have been lying, but I don't know why). The EHB doesn't require nearly as much current as the drum brakes, so the load replaces that. I guess the new controller is smart enough to recalibrate when told there is a lighter load.
    Keith Regli
    2016 Momentum 388m
    2015 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]