Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need help with my decission.

Hello, I like the Solitude and am considering this and a Keystone Big sky. I have not had a fifth wheel prior but have camped all over the country. I went to Lazydays and they had both but the salesperson was pushing the Montana but I still liked the Solitude. I am not sure if I can pull either with a 3/4 ton pickup srw or do I need a drw one ton. I am trying to find out the pros and cons of these units and I may need a different salesperson who will stay with me and answer questions. HELP!!
    Richard & Sandy
    Solitude 369rl #2954
    2014 Ram 3500 Super cab, Ram box 6.7 Cummins 4X4 SRW
    Charleston area SC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: I need help with my decission.

I owned a Montana 3455SA model before my Solitude. It was a nice trailer but I am much happier with my Solitude. I think the floor plan is much better and more spacious. I also love the pantry in the Solitude and it has more storage space which I like. I was pulling my Montana with a 3/4 ton pickup but upgraded because I feel the 1 ton truck does a better job when traveling through the mountains and because I do a lot of camping in the mountains I go up and down lots of hills some of which are steep. On more level terrain my 3/4 ton was great. I also feel the 1 ton has more stability on the road, but that is just my opinion. My 1 ton truck also has an exhaust brake which is also very helpful in the mountains when going down a steep grade. The 3/4 ton truck did pull it but I just like the added stability on the road and find the exhaust brake to be a very valuable accessory on my truck. A lot depends on where you will be camping and which Solitude you are thinking of buying.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a perfect situation that the dealer has both the Montana and Solitude on his lot. Ditch the salesman, spend as much time as you need noting advantages/disadvantages with each unit...don't forgot comparing weights and capacities. The right choice will become obvious after you've looked them both over closely.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum photogent! What Solitude model are you looking at?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Photogent and welcome to the forums!
    We have the Solitude 305RE, and pull it with our F250 Diesel with no problems.
    Good luck with your decision!
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all and I think I was ready to get rid of that salesperson ASAP. I even called the factory to report him. I am looking at the 369RL and was hoping to tow the little dream with a 250 srw or a 350 srw 6.7 diesel since I have towed horse trailers all over the eastern US and want to get back out west and return to the National Parks for my photo hobbies.
    Richard & Sandy
    Solitude 369rl #2954
    Charleston area SC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Photogent. I tow my 369rl with a F350 SWR 6.7 diesel. No issues at all. The 6.7 has plenty of torque for the job. I did install Timbrens on the rear for stability in wind in lieu of the more expensive DWR setup. I've put about 4000 miles so far on the setup and it works like a dream.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An F250 diesel can tow a 369, but they usually do not have the bed capacity for the fifth wheel hitch, trailer weight on that hitch and the weight of the occupants and any auxiliary fuel if you add a tank.

All trucks will have a card on the driver door jam showing their capacity. I have a 337 and my 2013 F250 diesel short bed is overloaded. Non 4X4's usually have 400 pounds more capacity. I am not sure about long beds. The F350 is a better choice.

Robert
    Robert & Sheila, Amarillo, TX
    2013 F250 short bed crew cab, diesel, 4X4, Firestone air bags
    2014 Reflection 337, Michelin XPS Ribs, Anderson Ultimate Fifth wheel hitch

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote author=photogent link=topic=288.msg1830#msg1830 date=1390444483]
    Thank you all and I think I was ready to get rid of that salesperson ASAP. I even called the factory to report him.
    [/quote]

Welcome to the owners forum!

Just curious, but why would you call the factory to report a salesperson? The factory has nothing to do with sales people...you should have went back into the Sales office and asked for the manager.

It would be like you calling Kellogg's because the grocery store is selling Corn Flakes for too much money.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for the information and I was thinking that the 350 srw 6.7 was the way to go but when in doubt ask. I was also thinking of air bags or as Thompsons stated Timbrens to help support the rear.
    I reported it to the factory because it was a downpour when I was ready to leave and I did not want to swim to the office. The way he was speaking about the Solitude I believe it should have been brought to the attention of the factory. I believe the company is a solid company but I just got a salesman who may have had a bad New Year's Eve problem.
    Richard & Sandy
    Solitude 369rl #2954
    Charleston area SC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast