User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot Water Heater not Heating

Can some one tell me where the circuit board is for the hot water heater. I have a 2015 momentum 388 and neither option is working for hot water.

Thanks in advance

Richie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odds are you blew the Water Heater Thermal Cut-Off. It protects the water heater and will completely shut it down if it is not happy. Open the outside panel door. Just below the pressure relief valve you will see 2 brown wires. One is connected and you can't see the tap it is hooked to. Just to the right is the Water Heater Thermal Cut-Off. Follow the link below and you will see what it looks like. Also, they are about $20 each at the RV store. They are the only ones that carry it. Amazon has it for a lot less and it is a two pack. Use this link to what it looks like and order it. https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-93866-.../dp/B0007XXTVC . But for now you can just unplug the fuse and bypass it. Unplug the brown wire from the fuse, then unplug the fuse. Hook the brown wire to where the fuse was. This will get you hot water for now. Hope that helps.
    2016 GD 29RS

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Big Horn dually

60 gallon fuel auxiliary fuel tank

B&W Companion hitch with TruXedo Tonneau Cover

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I setup my camper last week, I cut on the switch to the electric hot water heater. The light was on, and I assumed all was right. No hot water showed up, however.

I forgot that I had my hot water heater circuit breaker cut off as my tank had been emptied of water. I filled the hot water heater and purged the air through the faucets. Dry fire that electric element, and you're going to burn it up.

Switched on the circuit breaker and I was in business.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    When I setup my camper last week, I cut on the switch to the electric hot water heater. The light was on, and I assumed all was right. No hot water showed up, however.

I forgot that I had my hot water heater circuit breaker cut off as my tank had been emptied of water. I filled the hot water heater and purged the air through the faucets. Dry fire that electric element, and you're going to burn it up.

Switched on the circuit breaker and I was in business.
    Bamaman thanks for the info. I will explore that later on today. Unfortunately I didn't have a volt meter or a continuity tester with me over the weekend nor did I see that fuse. I will let you know what I find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this thread when my new 2400BH hot water heater would not fire. I bypassed the thermal cutoff and that was the issue. Ordered a few spares off Amazon. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the Dometic one? If so I’ll try this when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1081 View Post
    Found this thread when my new 2400BH hot water heater would not fire. I bypassed the thermal cutoff and that was the issue. Ordered a few spares off Amazon. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did yours fit directly into the old wire, or did you have to change the connecting wire? Anyone got a how-to guide for this work?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1081 View Post
    2022 Ram 3500 Mega Cab
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    ——-
    2020 Ram 2500 Power Wagon (Sold)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will bypassing the fuse damage the water heater? How long is it “safe” to bypass it for? I hope you can help!! Thank you very much for this info!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I tried the steps to see how if that was the issue, I unplugged it and ordered the new parts. I was at home so it wasn’t a problem for me. Keep in mind, having that cutoff there is to protect the what’re tanks electrical components. Without it, you’ll be replacing a ton of things, IF something goes wrong.

I’d definitely not chance it for more than a little while. Warm up the tank and disconnect it. That’s me being suspicious and not wanting something horribly wrong to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Gladhart View Post
    Will bypassing the fuse damage the water heater? How long is it “safe” to bypass it for? I hope you can help!! Thank you very much for this info!!!
    2022 Ram 3500 Mega Cab
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    ——-
    2020 Ram 2500 Power Wagon (Sold)

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I experienced an issue that took me a while to find and did so with a little luck. My Atwood RV water heater on my 2018 Reflection stopped working on electricity after I did a clean-out. I found a bad connection on one end of the Thermal cut-off. When I wiggled it, the tank stated to work on electricity. Calling a tech. to fix would have been very expensive. When things stop working, start from the simplest item and work up to the more complex. If I didn't find the loose connection I probably would have tested the element which is very hard to get to on my unit. Sometimes, finding the cause of a defective issue is not so simple.