Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar panels suitcase versus solar panels installed on roof

Looking at solar panels to keep our batteries at charged wondering if anyone has installed a roof mount solar. We are looking for panels that would be producing during the winter months as well so our batteries at least get a trickle charge during storage.

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many on this forum have installed panels on the roof. See search in upper right to find several very good threads on every aspect of the install.

I personally went with a portable unit so I have some flexibility with placement for sun direction, trees etc.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Many on this forum have installed panels on the roof. See search in upper right to find several very good threads on every aspect of the install.

I personally went with a portable unit so I have some flexibility with placement for sun direction, trees etc.

Thank you, I will take a look. I did a quick search earlier and did not find any threads but will try again.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On my 2014 337RLS, I made the panels portable. Two 100 watt panels.
    On my 2017 297RSTS, I went with roof mounted. Three 100 watt panels.

It is nice to be able to move the panels out of the shade when they are needed, but that didn't seem to be needed very often. And the panels are heavy and unwieldy. They are also much easier to break when moving them. I prefer the roof mounted solution much more. There is no extra set up when I get to camp. I'm good to go.

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards the Go Power Overlander (2) - 160 watt panels on the roof. I have a generator but it is crazy that the 2017 Grand Design 376 only comes with one very cheap battery which would not stay charged overnight only running our refrigerator. We are in California so assuming these panels will provide lots of power.
    Steve

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dslowery View Post
    Jim thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards the Go Power Overlander (2) - 160 watt panels on the roof. I have a generator but it is crazy that the 2017 Grand Design 376 only comes with one very cheap battery which would not stay charged overnight only running our refrigerator. We are in California so assuming these panels will provide lots of power.
    Steve
    Yeah Steve - The dealers are responsible for installing the batteries. I negotiated two 6V AGM batteries on my last unit. On my current unit, I just added two more 12V batteries for a total of three. Are you going to be increasing your battery bank when you install the panels?

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, adding two 6 volt batteries.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, I weighed the same options, but went with the harder to install option of roof-mounted. I wanted something that would constantly charge (on the road, in storage, etc). Also, I found that the kits were convenient, but overpriced. With a little study, you can find what you need, then mix-and-match to save money and get the best components. The hardest part is the cable run from the roof, but it's completely doable. I had never done anything like this (solar, 4x6 battery bank, whole-house inverter), but was able to study and figure it out. There are tons of well documented examples on rv.net, and a single thread that links to them all.

For your battery depth, I agree that a single battery is far inferior to pairs of 6v batteries. However, if you are really running the fridge off the batteries, you should reconsider. That draws something like 30 amps (measured mine), and would drain our battery bank, by itself. Propane is a much better option for boondocking.

Good luck with your project. You will have an enormous endorphin rush when you see that charge flowing into your batteries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went portable for ease and time and have 2 6v batteries. I asked two dealers about roof panel install and neither did it and I finally decided I did not have the time to invest in training myself how to do it right. The roof advantage is that it is always there trickle charging when sunny, and that is nice. It is good to keep batteries charged to run a max air fan some, do some night lighting and keep the water pump running, plus enough charge for propane to power fridge and hot water while boondocking. If boondocking lots I would have considered more options for a roof install.
    R. H. & Jessica, Virginia http://blog.borderlinechaos.com/wp-c...dStatesMap.gif
    2017 Momentum 350m 5th Wheeler, B&W Companion 18k hitch
    2017 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstroke, SRW, 4x4, Long Bed

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by treeofliberty View Post
    First off, I weighed the same options, but went with the harder to install option of roof-mounted. I wanted something that would constantly charge (on the road, in storage, etc). Also, I found that the kits were convenient, but overpriced. With a little study, you can find what you need, then mix-and-match to save money and get the best components. The hardest part is the cable run from the roof, but it's completely doable. I had never done anything like this (solar, 4x6 battery bank, whole-house inverter), but was able to study and figure it out. There are tons of well documented examples on rv.net, and a single thread that links to them all.

For your battery depth, I agree that a single battery is far inferior to pairs of 6v batteries. However, if you are really running the fridge off the batteries, you should reconsider. That draws something like 30 amps (measured mine), and would drain our battery bank, by itself. Propane is a much better option for boondocking.

Good luck with your project. You will have an enormous endorphin rush when you see that charge flowing into your batteries.
    Thank you for the reply going with a go power 160 volt roof mounted system and adding 2-6volt batteries.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast