Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poor Quality Control

Just curious, is it reasonable to say that Grand Design has POOR Quality Control? I for one am fed up with it. The cost of Quality Control is built into the price of these expensive rigs. But it appears we are having to repair and fix these items later. It also appears Grand Design replies with solutions such as "buy and install a vent". They take little to no responsibility for anything as they have our money.

I sit here as a first time owner of an RV and read these posts and the way OWNERS are having to repair and re-engineer things. Unfortunately for me, I don't have these skills. I was just reading through the thread about "kitchen hutch hot". I have the desk in the rear of my 2670 and I know behind the drawers is the Hot Water Heater (?). I've noticed how hot the contents of the drawer get when I go to grab a pen or something out of the drawers. So now I'm wondering if I have a "hot desk hutch" issue. I wouldn't know where to begin or how to go about fixing it or finding out what exactly the problem is. I'm about ready to sell my new 2670 and go back to staying in a hotel.

Grand Design, if you're really out there reading these posts, how about spending the money we are paying you on some REAL Quality Control? That would be a nice thing to do don't you think? Or does it eat too much into your profits?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe their quality control is as good as any in the industry and better than most, just sayin.
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not unreasonable at all to say that. Unfortunately it is all relative. The RV business is highly unregulated and "as bad as" GD seems I can tell you from experience others are MUCH worse. Let the buyer beware... A tell anyone that are willing to listen and are interested in RV's understand going in that they require continual maintenance and upkeep. They are build quickly with lightweight materials and are not precision. It is more like the local "handiman" put it together. Also, unfortunately "expensive" is a relative term. You can easily pay a LOT more for a unit but maybe not necessarily made better. The 2670 is part of the Imagine line which is GD's entry level product. Tell me something, if you purchased a 1 bedroom condo would it have cost more then your 2670? Remember that condo had to be made specifically for road use with light weight materials so that your vehicle could tow it without purchasing a tractor trailer.

I am by no means defending GD. I spent the first week "fixing" little things I found wrong but I went into it knowing I would need to do that.

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you say this is your first RV, you really got lucky that you got a GD because anything else would probably be worse.

Owning an RV will require some work on your part. If you can't/won't do some work/maintenance on it yourself, you will find it in the shop all the time. If that is unacceptable, it's time to get out.

Good luck and happy camping!

EDIT: Baby Jim beat me to it.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been at this RV thing for 40 years now. Our Reflection is number 8 for us. I'm sure all of us can relate to your opinion, but you can take Grand Designs name out of your post and substitute any other RV name in it's place. The entire industry is the same. Fortunately, Grand Design stands behind it's product way better than the others.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I'll take your input as "we as consumers allow the RV Industry as a whole to sell us a products that are of poor quality when delivered." It's not the Manufacturers that are to blame it is we as consumers. Did I get that right?

My spouse purchased a six year old 2 Bedroom/2 Bath home 19 years ago in Central Florida for $52K and she's replaced the roof and the well pump.
    I purchased a New Truck for $42K in September last year. I had two (2) small air bubbles is the piece of vinyl they wrapped the driver door pillars with.
    I purchased a New Travel Trailer for $41K three weeks ago and there are numerous quality issues that were found at delivery and since. But it's okay, we will gladly drive it down the freeways of America putting countless lives at risk but we don't want to hurt the Manufacturers feelings by forcing them to provide us with quality made products.

Amazing!!!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Owning an RV will require some work on your part. If you can't/won't do some work/maintenance on it yourself, you will find it in the shop all the time. If that is unacceptable, it's time to get out.
    I did expect to do some work and know there is maintenance involved with an RV. I sure as heck didn't expect to have to re-engineer and repair and perform maintenance on a 3 week old RV??? Even my new truck I didn't have to do maintenance on until 6 months or 5,000 miles.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right but as long as we keep buying them and insisting on the lowest price possible we will continue to get what we get.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtLip View Post
    So I'll take your input as "we as consumers allow the RV Industry as a whole to sell us a products that are of poor quality when delivered." It's not the Manufacturers that are to blame it is we as consumers. Did I get that right?
    Nope!
    About the only way for us to effect change is to not buy their product, or for a foreign manufacturer to provide some competition. All the consumer complaints have fallen on deaf ears. I am interested to hear your opinion on how we can force the manufacturers to provide better quality. I would love to buy an RV and not have to fix a bunch of stuff.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will ONLY sell them at the "lowest price possible" because the mark-up is outrageous knowing we are trying to get the "lowest price possible" and the Dealer and Manufacturer still make a healthy profit.

Knowing I have to open cavity's and buy silver tape to seal, buy screws and rehang LP hoses, restringing blinds because the strings were too short, trying to figure out why everything in my desk drawer is hot and melting is NOT my idea of routine maintenance on a 3 week old RV. Just saying!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast