Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh water capacity on 2017 Solitude 300GK?

I took my 300GK dry camping for the first time last week, and ran into an issue with running out of water much more quickly than I thought we would.
    I filled the tank until it showed full on the monitoring system, but even with my wife and I being very conservative, we were out in less than 24 hrs.
    A friend who knows these rigs said that there are 2 tanks connected by a gravity feed and that the proper filling technique is to fill up, wait 20 or so minutes at which time the fresh water level will show back down to 1/3 as the water feeds into the 2nd tank, then fill again - anyone out there who can verify this or provide some expertise?

P.S.
    I checked underneath the rig periodically and did not find any leaking or damp ground, so I don't think there's a leakage issue...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller1961 View Post
    I took my 300GK dry camping for the first time last week, and ran into an issue with running out of water much more quickly than I thought we would.
    I filled the tank until it showed full on the monitoring system, but even with my wife and I being very conservative, we were out in less than 24 hrs.
    A friend who knows these rigs said that there are 2 tanks connected by a gravity feed and that the proper filling technique is to fill up, wait 20 or so minutes at which time the fresh water level will show back down to 1/3 as the water feeds into the 2nd tank, then fill again - anyone out there who can verify this or provide some expertise?

P.S.
    I checked underneath the rig periodically and did not find any leaking or damp ground, so I don't think there's a leakage issue...
    Unfortunately, your friend doesnt appear to know these things. ��

There isnt two fresh water tanks, only one. You fill until it runs out the tank overflow under the camper to ensure that the tank is full. Filling until the tank monitor says full, isn't full. Be careful of the water pressure when filling the tank as too high of pressure can expand the tank faster than the overflow can handle.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 310GK and just went 4 days/3 nights/6 showers without running out of fresh water. I [almost] always fill my tank when we get to where we are going and run off the pump, even with full hookups. There are some benefits to doing this; you are always refreshing the water in your system, you get better pressure over using city water with pressure reducer, if you have a leak you will hear the pump cycling, and if you leave and forget to turn the pump off and experience a plumbing failure the most water you are going to pump into your RV is whatever is left in the tank.

We were at a park, probably 15 years ago, and while walking around saw water just pouring out under a RV whose owners had left for the day. Turned off their water supply and left them a note. Spoke with them the next day and they said one of the pipes came off the back of their hot water heater.

As your RV ages, the pipe fittings will weaken and start a leaking. If you're sitting in the RV and hear that pump cycle every so often, water is coming out somewhere. Better to find it fast and fix it before you get water damage.

Terry
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2017 RAM 3500 Crew Cab, Short Box, 4x4, SRW, Cummins 6.7
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Oth...dStatesMap.gif

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buller1961/TerryZechman - one reason your results varied is that Grand Design doubled the water capacity in the 2018 Solitude. The 2018 Solitude 310GK fresh/waste/gray water capacity is 93/50/100 gals while the 2017 is only 54/50/50 gals. (More specifically, the 93 gals. fresh water is made up of 81 gals. fresh plus 12 gals. for the hot water heater.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I do have the 93 gallons of fresh, my 2018 only has the 50/50 black and grey tanks. In all my RV's, I've always run out of grey capacity before anything else.
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2017 RAM 3500 Crew Cab, Short Box, 4x4, SRW, Cummins 6.7
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Oth...dStatesMap.gif

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terry, I should have been more specific. The 2018 should have two 50 gal. gray water tanks. One for the kitchen and one for the bathroom for a total of 100 gals gray water capacity.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    Some of the 2018's only have the larger fresh water tank. The larger gray water capacity occurred sometime in June builds. You would have to check the placard on the unit to be sure, or call the factory with the VIN.

HTH,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the good info, especially about running off of the fresh water tank even at a city hook up.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrince View Post
    Buller1961/TerryZechman - one reason your results varied is that Grand Design doubled the water capacity in the 2018 Solitude. The 2018 Solitude 310GK fresh/waste/gray water capacity is 93/50/100 gals while the 2017 is only 54/50/50 gals. (More specifically, the 93 gals. fresh water is made up of 81 gals. fresh plus 12 gals. for the hot water heater.)
    Has anyone verified the 81 / 12 gallon capacity on the 310GK? We emptied the fresh water and water heater today so we could sanitize the system. Put 2 gallons of Clorox water in via the sanitize settings and pump. We put a water meter on the input valve. We then used power fill setting to fill the fresh tank. It started showing full on the tank indicator at about 56 gallons. We let it keep going until it started coming out the over fill line. It was only 68 gallons, plus the 2 we put in with Clorox makes it 70. We then turned on the pump and let it fill the hot water tank. Once that stopped we did a power fill again until it overflowed. It added about another 12 gallons so that volume seems to be correctly rated. However, our specification document says we should have 81 gallons not including the hot water tank and we only had about 70. Anyone else have any similar results?
    Last edited by Lindabf; 08-05-2020 at 10:06 PM.
    Mark, Linda and Riley (RIP 6/17/20)
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Dually LB
    B&W Companion hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindabf View Post
    Has anyone verified the 81 / 12 gallon capacity on the 310GK? We emptied the fresh water and water heater today so we could sanitize the system. Put 2 gallons of Clorox water in via the sanitize settings and pump. We put a water meter on the input valve. We then used power fill setting to fill the fresh tank. It started showing full on the tank indicator at about 56 gallons. We let it keep going until it started coming out the over fill line. It was only 68 gallons, plus the 2 we put in with Clorox makes it 70. We then turned on the pump and let it fill the hot water tank. Once that stopped we did a power fill again until it overflowed. It added about another 12 gallons so that volume seems to be correctly rated. However, our specification document says we should have 81 gallons not including the hot water tank and we only had about 70. Anyone else have any similar results?

Yup. 68-1/2 to 71-1/2 gallons from empty to running out the over flow (this does not include the water heater). Measured multiple time. Dealer blew it off with bogus (and highly variable) math. they said they contacted GD (trailer was under warrantee) and said this was "normal" and "within spec". Again, not sure what the told GD and I did not follow up with GD directly.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast