User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing a hardwired surge protector

I have a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C on order for our Reflections 297RSTS and have heard where people install it behind the fuse panel in the hutch. I'm curious to people who have done this what tools you needed and if you needed to purchase more wire and connectors to do it? Just trying to be prepared we are weekend campers and camp in a smaller town that doesn't always have everything and would rather be prepared to make it go easier.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed one in my Imagine and all I needed was some wire I got from Lowes. Might have been able to cut the line coming in but I wanted to make sure I had plenty of length to work with. As for tools, I used my cordless impact wrench with a square bit. Also needed some wire strippers and screw drivers.
    '12 Ford F150 Lariat Super Crew
    ’17 Imagine 2800BH
    Previous '13 Roo 21SS
    Previous ’98 Coleman Mesa
    2017 2016 2015 2014 2013
    Nights
    Camped
    18 7 21 18 26

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shouldn't need any extra wire. You will need screwdriver,a good pliers for the 50 amp cord they are stiff,knife for stripping wire.maybe flashlight depends where you put it.I think that it.
    Darwin & Linda
    Southern, Idaho
    2014 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Installed a 30A in our TT and added a set of 30A twist lock plugs on both sides of the EMS connected so if the unit failed all I had to do was unplug both side and connect the ends to bypass the EMS and restore power quickly. Don't know if they make 50A plugs, but when we graduate to a 5th wheel I'll find out.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The benefit of using new wire from the surge protector to the panel is that you can remove the surge protector at a later date and still have enough wire to return things to original.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't mind, please take some pictures as you go and post back here. We have the same trailer and I'm thinking about doing the same. Got the external one for now...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    La Porte, TX

2013 Ford F-250 SD SRW 4x4 6.7
    ARE Z Series Truck Cap w/Yakima Roof Rack
    CargoGlide 1500XL Full Extension Bed Slide
    Firestone 2535 Ride Rite Air Helper Spring
    2017 Reflection 297RSTS
    EasyStart 366 x05 Soft Start Kit (on both A/C's)
    Honda EU2000i w/tri-fuel kit
    Honda EU2000i Companion w/tri-fuel kit

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an old post, but how did install go?
    I put one in my previous trailer (HH light) and it was quite easy.
    I've done a cursory look at my 310 GK and plan on putting one in it. I'd like the display to be accessible thru the underneath storage bay. Access may be tricky, but using additional wire, my first guess it should be achievable. Be interested to hear from anyone in this subject.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 310GK and I put one in this summer. I took the wall down in the storage area and installed it where the wire heads toward the fuse panel. The wire was sitting on a nice ledge where I was able to cut it and there was more than enough wire to put the box between the two ends. The wire is hard to work with but that's just the way it is. I then hooked the display up and put it on the wall in the passenger side storage area.
    Pam & John

2017 Ford F350 CCSB Diesel
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    B&W Companion 20K
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allensworth View Post
    This is an old post, but how did install go?
    I put one in my previous trailer (HH light) and it was quite easy.
    I've done a cursory look at my 310 GK and plan on putting one in it. I'd like the display to be accessible thru the underneath storage bay. Access may be tricky, but using additional wire, my first guess it should be achievable. Be interested to hear from anyone in this subject.
    We have one in our 310GK. Easy install, loads of room in there.

Be sure to heed Rob's advice in post #5 above. We first installed our HW50C in a Reflection that we then traded in, and we had spliced the HW50C into the power input cable so we had to buy expensive connectors and splice the input cable back together after removing the HW50C.

When it went into the Solitude we instead added a new cable from the input receptacle on the side wall of the trailer to the input side of the HW50C, and put the end of the original input cable on the output side of the HW50C. If we remove the HW50C again we'll be able to easily restore the original setup.

Regarding the monitor/display, I originally thought I wanted it inside the trailer but that was too complicated in the Reflection so it was installed on the side wall of the water control center. Turns out, that's where I like it best and where it has been installed in the new trailer. I can watch it after attaching the power cord and make sure everything settles properly before continuing with setup. There is *plenty* of cable to run from the HW50C to the display in the water control center.

Very pleased with this setup. Good luck with yours.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch