User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brand New 376 Brakes and Hubs Burned Up

The first time we took our 2017 376Momentum out of our yard, within three or four miles a lot of smoke! Straight to the dealer after talking to to the right guys on the phone. It's still at the dealer (longer than we have owned it), waiting to see who picks up the tab for repairs! Anyone else have anything else like this happen and if so what was the cause? It appears to us the 'lanyard' that connects the 5th wheel to the truck's trailer hitch is much too short. Shorter than other companies that we have compared it to. We have made the first payment and haven't had fun yet!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the break away switch got pulled. I would think that unless there was something wrong with the cable that the company would see this as "pilot error". You might consider on of these:
    https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...SABEgKKw_D_BwE
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The length of the lanyard is all relative to where you connect it.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know it's frustrating, but believe me, it's happened to quite a few owners. The lanyard can pull out in a tight turn, get caught on cargo, etc. We had a canvas strap wrap around ours and yank it out last year. Fortunately, we were going slow and the brakes grabbed enough that we felt it and pulled over. Make sure you have a lot of slack on the cable when you hook up, or go with the accessory lanyard that J&G linked to above. Normally damages like this are not covered, but I'm hoping that since you were just pulling out on your first trip that you can get some help from GD or the dealer with the problem. Let us know how it works out.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This smells like grease on the brakes. I can tell you for a fact that property working brakes should have stopped the trailer on the spot. My breakaway got pulled right after I installed the disk brakes. The only way I could have moved the trailer would have to dragged the tires. Upgraded to the Fastway Zip Coiled Trailer Breakaway Cable, problem solved.
    2022 Soitude 390RK-R GMC Denali
    Haoview camera system; Traxx automatic Water softer; RVLock V4.0 Keyless Entry; RV; Comfort System "Cheap Heat"; Dometic 510 Toilet; Eurgeen Small Dehumidifier; Bluonics RO water filter; AP 24-1002 Propane Tank Gas Level Indicator

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disc brakes have significantly greater braking ability and resistance to brake fade. Drum brakes are going to quickly overheat and fade to where their braking would be much less noticeable, particularly on a big trailer like a Momentum. If the brake shoes were greased, they would not have created much friction or heat .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS